dead laptop - sell it all together or sell as parts?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jim Campbell, May 3, 2004.

  1. Jim Campbell

    Jim Campbell Guest

    Hello All,

    My Thinkpad laptop is dead, or rather, the lcd display is dead. The
    rest of the computer (e.g. hdd, floppy drive, dvd/cd drive, ram, etc.)
    work just fine, and I want to sell the computer on eBay so that I
    don't lose _all_ of my money on it.

    Here is my question... in your experience, can you make more money on
    the computer if you sell the whole thing as one broken machine, or if
    you sell it as parts (e.g. the hard drive in one auction, the floppy
    drive in another... ). I am leaning towards selling it as one whole
    unit so that I don't have to deal with multiple auctions, but am
    willing to give them a try if it will make a noticeable difference in
    the amount of money that I am able to make from the sale.

    I know it's a pretty basic question, but I thought I would ask it
    here, as I'm sure some of you have had experiences with this before.
    Thank you for your help.

    Jim Campbell

    Jim Campbell, May 3, 2004

  2. "Jim Campbell" skrev
    Jim.....your LCD probably just needs a new light tube :)
    Which model of ThinkPad are you referring to ?
    There can be a couple of other reasons why the LCD is "dead".

    A ThinkPad never dies !

    Brian

    [DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk, May 3, 2004

  3. Jim Campbell

    Charlie Guest

    Really? Are you interested in a (cosmetically) excellent A30? Or if
    you service them, can you give me some information on how to get it to
    you?

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie, May 3, 2004
  4. Jim Campbell

    Jim Campbell Guest

    Brian, thanks for your reply.

    The laptop monitor either comes in as snowball white or plain black -
    alternating between the two when you open and close the lcd display.
    Getting it set at a position that will actually display colors and
    images is literally a 1-in-10 lottery drawing.

    It's a ThinkPad T20. I don't know what a light tube is exactly, but I
    know that I've taken the computer apart to check the connection from
    the screen to the motherboard. The connection is set up just fine...
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise I will
    still consider selling it on eBay. Thanks again.

    Jim

    Jim Campbell, May 3, 2004
  5. "Charlie"
    Oh yes, Charlie :)
    Write me at the mailadress. Remove the capital letters.

    Otherwise my address is as follows:

    Brian Hougaard Baldersbaek
    Frejasvej 14
    DK-6400 Sonderborg
    DENMARK

    Best regards
    Brian

    [DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk, May 3, 2004
  6. Remove the 7 capital letters, starting with the F

    [DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk, May 3, 2004
  7. Jim Campbell

    Guest Guest

    Jim

    The sum of the hole is worth less than individual parts.

    Yes there is less hassle, but the alternative is more money.. You do need to look at some of the
    completed eBay auction to see what others have done to get the higher prices,, things like good
    pictures,, payment schemes(like PayPal), simple clear text,, with no adjectives,no BS, simple s&h,
    flat rate, include insurance,, I like USPS, a one(1) pd box Priority to the west coast, $3.85,,
    maybe $2 insur,, boxes are free at the P.O.

    The kicker is, "do you have a unique" TP,, someone may be dieing for that spare/replacement used
    part,,
    On the flip side,, there may be 100,000 used parts of that model of eBay,,
    OR so unique that NO BODY wants it..

    I would also suggest that depending of your model,, the cheapest route may be to figure out what's
    wrong and go to eBay and get the parts to fix what you have.. There are some fellows on eBay that
    have access to just about every part ever used in the TP's. Same with Dell. If the seller has a
    North Carolina address, (Raleigh, Cary, RTP), they are probably buying from the IBM surplus
    warehouse at RTP. Same if the address in Austin for Dell..

    If you decide to fix your TP,, When you look for parts,, use the FRU number rather than the TP
    model,, there are literally hundreds of interchangeable parts,, and sellers may not know that their
    part can be used in different machines..

    Case Point: I just purchased a TP 600E,, That works just fine for my purpose,, BUT I found a fellow
    in RTP that has a barn full of parts,, IF I decide to upgrade or my MoBo dies,, he has already
    assured me that with a little work(screws and clips) I can rip out the 600E mobo and upgrade in a
    600X mobo,, thus moving from a Pentium II 366MHz to a Pentium III 600MHz,,, for a very reasonable
    price...

    Good Luck
    Jim
    An Old Parrot Head,
    In the Conch Republic,
    Just South of Reality

    Guest, May 3, 2004
  8. It's kinda defect, yes. Not dead, but temporarily ill ;-)
    The T2x-series had some problems with the cable from mainboard to the LCD.
    I see that you already checket that......but you haven't disassembled the
    screen yet ?

    I would take the screen apart and check the cabling into the TFT-unit itself
    and into the inverter.
    It doesn't sound to me that there's something wrong with the light-tube
    (CCFL). The symptoms are much different.
    My guess is the cabling inside the screen.

    Selling a defect ThinkPad on Ebay won't give you a dime.

    Best regards
    Brian

    [DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk, May 3, 2004
  9. Jim Campbell

    JHEM Guest

    No Jim, you can't. The 600X motherboard is just different enough that it
    won't fit in a 600E lower case.

    However, a complete 600X lower unit would be a piece of cake swap with your
    working 600E display and all your 600 series devices, HDs and PC100 memory.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, May 3, 2004
  10. Jim Campbell

    JHEM Guest

    You need a new display cable. This is a common failure on the T20 and T21
    series Thinkpads and you should have no difficulty finding one on eBay.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, May 3, 2004
  11. Jim Campbell

    Guest Guest

    Sorry, I was trying to be brief,, I know it's the complete lower end,, Just trying to give Jim so
    alternatives..

    Jim
    An Old Parrot Head,
    In the Conch Republic,
    Just South of Reality

    Guest, May 3, 2004
  12. Charlie ?

    I got your mail.....but my reply has returned with delivery error. User
    unknown.

    Brian

    [DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk, May 3, 2004
  13. ah' give ya twenty dollars fer it!!

    Seriously, fix the screen and keep it, you'll never get any money for a busted
    laptop. And unless you will use insurance to replace it, they're too expensive
    to consider not fixing the one you have.

    TJ

    Capt. \Wild\ Bill Kelso, USAAC, May 4, 2004
  14. Jim Campbell

    Al Smith Guest

    If it is just the backlight that has burned out, that should be relatively
    easy to fix.

    Al Smith, May 4, 2004