Dead or (A-)Live! Value (CT4830)?

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Yomat, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Yomat

    Yomat Guest

    I am fairly certain accidentally shorted two or more pins on the
    CT4830 cards AUD_EXT connector. The computer immediately froze when it
    happened. And ever since the card freezes the machine as soon as it
    tries to access card drivers. The card is detected by BIOS and Windows
    but if drivers are active it freezes in boot splash screen (w2k) or
    for some driver versions it freezes while trying to install them.

    Evidently the card isnt completely dead. Could it be partially broken
    which a workaround would fix? (Like some specific driver version,
    installation method, jumper setting or soldering).

    Cant say I am overly happy with the fact that Creative has a totally
    unprotected and that exposed pins on the card which will break it that
    easily. Some simple plastic strip would have prevented it. I have done
    much worse fumbles with gfxcards and mobo without anything remotely
    happening to them.

    Here is a tip to Creative owners: If I had known they were that
    sensitive I would have covered up them pins somehow. I never use that
    connector anyway.

    Yomat, Aug 20, 2003