    connection I am not familiar with. How do I connect this to a regular
    SCSI interface so that I can retrieve this data?

    jt

    jt august, Nov 24, 2004

  2. jt august

    Jim Schimpf Guest

    This is a SCSI drive. (I've owned one). So you need to put the drive
    into a SCSI enclosure and then attach to an older Mac with SCSI then
    copy everything. Sometimes older machines had an external SCSI
    enclosure for a CD ROM, you can put the drive in one of these.

    If you get really, really desperate contact me, I have all the pieces
    to do this.

    --jim

    Jim Schimpf, Nov 24, 2004

  3. jt august

    Grandpa Koca Guest

    The problem is (IIRC), the PB SCSI connector is smaller and includes the
    power inputs (its from a powerbook 140), so standard 3.5 inch connectors
    as found in most enclosures will not work. Unless you've got the right
    connectors it would be impossible. There are very few 2.5 inch SCSI
    enclosures that I am aware of (I have one from APS, bought many years
    ago). A quick search of eBay came up null. Adapters I found are for ATA
    drives to SCSI enclosure which I do not think will work, nor will the
    ATA 2.5 to 3.5 adapters work for SCSI. And after you've invested the
    dollars to gain access (given you can find the components), you will
    have a handsome set of paperweights.

    The entire contents of the PB140 HD would easily fit on a CD, so here's
    another optional route for him: If the OP is interested in either your
    or my solution he can post back here (c.s.m.system)) to let me know.
    Yeah, I'm a stickler for email privacy.

    Grandpa Koca, Nov 25, 2004
  4. jt august

    Grandpa Koca Guest

    Perhaps there is. Hadn't thought of them, I'm used to living in a vast
    desert where you have to DIY, or get some good help from newsgroups such
    as these. So let's sum up his options:
    1. Find a local MUG and see if they can help him with a PB1xx vintage
    machine or enclosure.
    2. Search for the parts necessary to connect to his HD to do it himself.
    This could be an enclosure or another PB1xx machine.
    3. If he is trusting, find someone who has the equipment to transfer his
    HD contents to a CD. (I've helped his search somewhat)
    4. Rue the day he didn't back up his data and just forget it.

    I think that pretty well covers all his bases.

    Grandpa Koca, Nov 25, 2004
  5. jt august

    jt august Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, they were not in the direction I
    needed. What I found was a web site that sells 2.5 to 3.5 scsi adapters
    for about $10 (down to $5.50 if I needed 25 or more).

    I'm going to try three possibilities locally for this adapter today
    before I order online.

    The url on this adapter is:

    http://www.cablemakers.com/scsi_adapters.htm

    Then scroll to the very bottom of the page. The adapter has connections
    for the 50 pin cable, the 4 pin p/s, and id jumpers. The other side
    connects to the 2.5 scsi drive. $10 plus shipping is a viable solution
    for me.

    jt

    jt august, Nov 27, 2004