Dead PII Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Elio M. Garcia Jr., Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    My computer of the last five years (a PII 450 MMX) has very recently
    died on me. Up until recently, I assumed it was the CPU that died,
    because a month prior to the present problem the computer once turned on
    and convinced itself it was a PII 200 and acted very oddly until a hard
    reboot. It acted normally up until that point, until the day before it
    refused to boot up, when I _thought_ that it was a little faster than it
    usually was ... Though I didn't see anything odd to make me think it had
    now convinced itself that it was a PII 600 or anything.

    In any case, recent poking about to try and find out what happened makes
    me wonder if it might be the mobo, and not the CPU, that is dead.
    Basically, the power button works, the power LED goes on, fans start
    whirring and disks start spinning ... and then nothing. No display, no
    beeps. What I read recently suggests that if it were a CPU problem,
    there would be beeps letting me know that the error lies there, but no
    beeps at all suggests the motherboard is fried.

    Any opinions on this? I have tried some suggested tests, like removing
    memory and periphreal cards, but it acts the same.

    Also, if it's the motherboard and not the CPU that is the problem, would
    the motherboard have been the cause for the earlier error with the
    chip's clock speed?

    Thanks.

    Elio M. Garcia Jr., Nov 3, 2003

  2. Elio M. Garcia Jr.

    Lost Guest

    Also, if it's the motherboard and not the CPU that is the problem, would
    It sounds like a dead motherboard to me. Might be a faulty PSU too. The
    other parts are probably fine.

    Lost, Nov 21, 2003