Dead Presario 17XL265 Use HD in other Presario 17** ? Help!

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Rich, May 26, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Hi all!

    I have a compaq 17XL265 (700mhz PIII I believe) laptop which suffered
    the dreaded presario 'white out'. After monkeying around inside the
    case it appears the plug 'socket' where the LCD video cable attaches
    worked its way out of the board. Rather than get it soldered or send it
    out to get it soldered (and to avoid frying anything else) I've been
    hunting through ebay.

    I'm thinking of picking up a working 1700/17XL laptop then swapping out
    its hard drive for my hard drive so I can access my hard drive's data,
    operating system, etc...

    Does this sound "do-able"? If so - what am I looking at, what will I
    need to do? The one thing I can think of is setting the new machine's
    BIOS to recognize my drive's layout. I obviously don't want to do
    anything which will 'wipe' my drive's data! (I try really hard not to
    be a duhmonkey).

    Even more importantly - what models of presario 1700 could be used? I'm
    confused on the difference between the 198689-001 motherboard and the
    other one I've seen (starts with a "2"). Mine's a PIII - is the other
    setup for AMD or a Celeron??

    Or - is there an easier way?

    Thanks in advance!

    Rich, May 26, 2005