Dead Sun Ultra2 Question-->PS or something else?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by J'm Sm'th, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. J'm Sm'th

    J'm Sm'th Guest

    My trusty Sun Ultra 2 croaked last night, quietly and without alarm. I
    noticed that the power was off, so I tried the power-on button the
    keyboard--no go. I tried the power switch on the back--the fans spun
    around about 3 revolutions [as though they got a small pulse of
    electricity], then nothing. This 3-rotation thing is repeatable.

    So, I began to unhook hardware--first the drives, then the CPU, then the
    frame buffer, all with the same result. Then I began unhooking the main
    power connectors to the mother board. With all the connectors unhooked,
    *nothing* happens [not even the 3-rotation thing] when the power button
    is hit.

    When I hook the MB connectors back up, the PS does the 3-rotation thing
    [the CPU fans do the same thing].

    So, my question is this: is it the PS, or could this be the MB that is
    the problem? If it is the PS, how can I be sure when I hook a new PS
    up, that there isn't some piece of hardware that will take down this PS
    as well?

    I took apart the PS [I am relative comfortable around electronics, being
    a ham], tested the fuse and it's ok. Not having a schematic, and not
    knowing all that much about switching power supplies, I don't know how
    to proceed.

    Any hints?

    J'm Sm'th, Jan 29, 2004

  2. J'm Sm'th

    Andrew Tyson Guest

    I took apart the PS [I am relative comfortable around electronics, being
    symptoms sound a lot like those I had when the PS in my U1 died a few years
    ago.

    i would imagine if the problem was a short on the MB that the fuse in the PS
    would
    have been tripped.

    U2 chassis are so cheap these days you could probably buy one from eBay for
    less
    than a new PS and scavenge the PS.

    just me ten cents worth
    AT

    Andrew Tyson, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Will send you a whole base for $100

    x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    Mike Beckmann, Jan 30, 2004
  4. J'm Sm'th

    J'm Sm'th Guest

    Thanks, but I got a PS off of Ebay for $32 post paid.

    J'm Sm'th, Feb 1, 2004