    different brand like toughbook? My laptop rides the trains every day.

    My T43p would dual boot Ubuntu and XP back when it booted. My 600E
    boots only Debian.

    Bruce Lewis, Feb 16, 2007

  2. Bruce Lewis

    Larry Guest

    A T43 out of warranty already? I didn't think that was possible, assuming
    they all come with 3 year warranties.

    -Larry

    Larry, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Bruce Lewis

    JHEM Guest

    What are the symptoms that have lead you to believe you've got a bad
    motherboard?

    Was this a refurbished unit with a limited warranty? Model number?
    You can do that by simply installing the HD in an Ultrabay 2nd HD adapter in
    your old 600 series machine,

    Or, connect the HD to another laptop or a desktop via an external USB
    adapter, commonly available for $20 or less.

    JHEM, Feb 16, 2007
  4. Bruce Lewis

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    When I power it on the only sound is the fan. Nothing appears on on the
    screen. I called Lenovo and they had me try pulling out the drive,
    powering up and holding F1. It did not go into the BIOS. They then
    told me it was most likely a bad "system board" which I guess is just
    their word for motherboard.
    I got it secondhand; it might have been refurbished. 1875-E1U
    From what you say it sounds like laptop drives are more standardized
    than I would have guessed. These two are the only laptops I've ever
    owned, and I haven't had to think about hardware much, except for
    replacing the 600E's CMOS battery.

    Bruce Lewis, Feb 16, 2007
  5. Bruce Lewis

    JHEM Guest

    There are a few things you could try before resorting to replacing the MB.
    First thing is to take off the keyboard and reseat the base memory and the
    CPU. Get the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the unit from the Lenovo
    website.

    You can also watch the movies to see how to open the unit up:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-50233
    OK, you know that's not a T43P, right?

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=1875E1U

    Have you gone here:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...mplate=/warranty/warranty.vm&sitestyle=lenovo

    entered your model and serial numbers and tried looking up the warranty
    status for this unit? Although I fear you're correct that the warranty is
    expired as these 1875 models came with only a 1 year warranty. Shame you
    didn't extend it, it's cheap insurance.

    JHEM, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Bruce Lewis

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    I just tried that and it didn't fix it. In the process I discovered
    that half the screws they put in last time they fixed it were the wrong
    length, not just the one that was too long and poked through the case.

    Do you have other things I could try?
    You're right, T43. I got T43p on the brain from reading tips on
    installing Ubuntu that were for the T43p.
    Yes, it was definitely over in October. By no means a laptop expert,
    and "extended warranty" in my mind has always meant "scam". I can see
    how laptops might be different. In the meantime I have to figure out
    what to do with this one.

    Are there cheaper and better repair alternatives than Lenovo itself?

    Bruce Lewis, Feb 17, 2007
  7. Bruce Lewis

    JHEM Guest

    Unfortunately, no.

    If you feel comfortable under the hood of the machine, you could check eBay
    for a MB replacement, but they're usually fairly expensive, e.g. $300 to
    $400 for one that works.

    Be aware that replacing the MB requires a _complete_ disassembly of the
    system.

    JHEM, Feb 17, 2007
  8. Bruce Lewis

    Larry Guest

    I think IBM EZServe repair for a system board on an out-of-warranty machine
    is around $450 (Tier 3).

    -Larry

    Larry, Feb 22, 2007