Dead Thinkpad 750C, need to recover files from its hard drive

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. All,

    I have a dead IBM ThinkPad 750C (Type 9545) on my hands. It won't respond to
    its power button at all. No lights, no POST, no whirring sounds, nothing.
    It's battery is dead, but its DC power adapter is fine. I have used that DC
    adapter to boot up another battery-less ThinkPad, a model 755, if I recall
    correctly. So the problem is with the inside the 750C, and not with its
    power supply.

    I don't care about the computer itself, I just want to recover a few files
    off of the hard disk drive, and use them on another computer. What is the
    best way for me to read the 750C's hard disk drive, now that I have
    unplugged it from the dead machine? It will not fit into that model 755 that
    I mentioned above. That would have been too easy!

    Do I need to find another 750C, one that is not dead, and snap my old hard
    drive into it in order to read it? Are there other Thinkpad models that use
    the same type of hard disk drive, or must I find an old 750C, and nothing
    else will do? Or is there a more clever way to do this that doesn't require
    another ThinkPad?

    The hard disk drive is marked as follows:
    FRU P/N 39H7040
    ASM P/N 29H9484
    29H9485

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 27, 2004

  2. All,

    By the way, can anyone tell me why the IBM ThinkPad 750C is not even listed
    among the types of ThinkPads listed at IBM's "Personal Computing Support --
    Browse by Product" page?

    Go to:

    http://tinyurl.com/229se

    to check this for yourself.

    Tom

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Spaceman Spiff

    Chris 159 Guest

    you can buy an adaptor which allows you to plug it into your main pc as
    though its a normal pc type hard drive. you can get what ever files/info off
    it you like then
    theres lots on ebay

    HTH

    Chris 159, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Chris,

    I was unable to find an adapter that promised to work with the 750C style of
    hard drive. Can you send a link to a page on eBay, or anywhere else, for one
    that you think would work?

    Tom

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Spaceman Spiff

    Sapper Guest

    Its been a long time since I used a 75x class ThinkPad. But I am reasonably
    sure that you can put the 750 drive into a 755 and boot up. Some 'new'
    hardware devices may not work - but you should be able to copy the files you
    want on to a floppy or send them as email attachments to yourself.

    Sapper, Jun 27, 2004
  6. Spaceman Spiff

    Chris 159 Guest

    does the 750c drive have a non ata type connector ? i dont know myself

    the adaptors i mentioned are for the standard ata type - theyre ever so
    common

    Chris 159, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Chris,

    Yes, but there is some disassembly required!

    IBM has it's own proprietary connector, but if you slide the drive out of
    the outermost drive casing, and then disassemble the casing inside that by
    peeling off a label, unscrewing two screws, and finally by pulling off the
    proprietary IBM connector from the drive within, you ultimately reveal a
    standard 2.5" 44-pin laptop hard disk drive.

    For $8, CompUSA sold me the adapter that takes a 44-pin 2.5" drive connector
    to a 40-pin 3.5" drive connector, with a separate power connector. Thusly
    equipped, I went home and attached the new assembly to an IDE to USB drive
    enclosure that I already owned, and both partitions of the antiquated 750 Mb
    drive instantly appeared in My Computer as the next two available drive
    letters, so now I have access to anything I may need on those partitions.

    Problem solved. Thanks!

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Dear Sapper,
    This idea didn't work, but only because I didn't realize that I needed to
    disassemble the housing around the 750C's drive in order to make it work.
    There was not enough physical space allotted to the hard disk drive in the
    755 to accommodate the HDD from the 750C in it's unaltered form. But If I
    had disassembled it a bit first, removing its two unnecessary layers of
    external housing, it would have tucked in there just fine! I'm also sure
    that the configuration of the system would have allowed it to boot with a
    755, and the 750C's HDD connector was certainly compatible with that of the
    755 as well.

    You will read in another post of mine that I have solved this problem with
    an $8 adapter I picked up at CompUSA, after I learned that the drive housing
    was at least somewhat easy to take apart. That's $8 more than your solution
    would have cost me, but now I own yet another adapter for use in future
    projects.

    Can one ever really have too many adapters? :)

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Spaceman Spiff

    JHEM Guest

    I daresay a new CMOS (RTC) battery would resurrect your 750!

    --
    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Spaceman Spiff

    JHEM Guest

    It's too old! You can still find a lot of info about the 750 series in the
    docs for the 755 series.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Jun 28, 2004
  11. JHEM,
    That possibility had crossed my mind, but in browsing the list of products,
    it looked to me like some of them had even lower model numbers in the same
    model number range, like 701 and 730.

    Aren't those even older?

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 28, 2004
  12. JHEM,
    Good idea! It's actually not even my computer, but I'll bet that the guy who
    owns it will want to explore that option. He has a much newer computer that
    he uses regularly, but he doesn't have a laptop, except for this one, so he
    might be amenable to spending the price of a CMOS battery to have it back in
    working order!

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 28, 2004
  13. Dear JHEM, or anyone else who wants to chime in:
    I have opened up the unit and unplugged two battery-looking parts.

    Part 1: IBM Ni-Cd battery, 3.6V, 60 mAh
    P/N: 66G0119
    FRU P/N: 66G3755
    with a red and a black wire leading to a
    keyed female connector designed to
    receive two pins.
    Picture: http://tinyurl.com/28k6j
    Part 2: Panasonic VL2330 Lithium battery
    P/N: 66G0014
    FRU P/N: 66G3764
    with a red and a black wire leading to a
    keyed female connector designed to
    receive three pins, but only using two.
    Picture: http://tinyurl.com/yum3v

    Should I replace both of these parts? Where is the best place to buy them?

    Thanks in advance for your help with this!

    Spiff

    Spaceman Spiff, Jun 29, 2004