Debian Linux and a GeForce 4 Ti4200

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Richard Cavell, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    1. I've installed Debian Linux sarge (tried also with woody).

    2. Downloaded NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run

    3. sh NV*

    4. It tells me it can't downloaded precompiled kernel interface so
    tells me to install my kernel source

    5. I apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.26

    6. I sh NVidia-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run
    --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.26/

    7. It complains that "If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make
    sure you either have configured kernel sources matching your kernel..."

    uname says
    Linux mymachine 2.4.26-1-386 #2 Sat May 1 ...

    How do I get my GeForce 4 to run? I can't use GIMP etc because it won't
    give me a high enough resolution without proper drivers.

    Richard Cavell, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Richard Cavell

    nobody Guest

    I just kept trying different versions of the drivers until I got one that would
    install.

    nobody, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Richard Cavell

    jafar Guest

    Ok. Expected ;)
    Make sure there is a symlink pointing to the correct place for
    /usr/src/linux

    ie...

    Let's say your kernel source is in /usr/src/2.4.26-1-386

    #cd /usr/src
    #ln -s 2.4.26-1-386/ linux

    if you do an ls you should now have a symlink like this
    linux -> 2.4.26-1-386

    Try your nvidia install again ensuring you drop back to single user mode
    (init 3) before doing so.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623