Debug Speed of ETM Trace for Debugging IO

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Kvik, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. Kvik

    Kvik Guest

    Hi

    I have an input pin that I suspect is pulled to the wrong state due to
    noise. I have no way to measure the pin since it's burried in inner
    layers of the PCB

    The pin frequency is max 100kHz and I have input filtering (derived
    from the CPU clock frequency) on the pin so I know the frequency is
    lower than about 10MHz

    So I have two ways forward:

    1: Make a loop to capture the input pin, store that in RAM, and at a
    trigger event, stop that capture, and send it all via a UART to a PC
    for analysis. I can overclock the CPU to run above specified 32MHz to
    capture this possible event if needed...

    2: Use the internal ETM (Embedded Trace Macrocell) to store to the PC
    runtime in the Keil uVision environment with ULink2 debugger.

    "2" is simpler, but anyone know how fast the ETM runs on a ST Cortex
    M3 (STM32L151) and is it with fixed interval sampling?

    Regards

    Klaus

    Kvik, Apr 3, 2013

  2. Can't you do 1) but just examine/dump the memory directly with the
    debugger? Don't know anything about Keil but in gdb you can just dump an
    array to a file, or any debugger should let you view the array contents.

    John Devereux, Apr 4, 2013

  3. Kvik

    langwadt Guest

    maybe instead of storing the pin state copy it to another pin that you
    can measure?

    -Lasse

    langwadt, Apr 4, 2013