    "Since that time I've wanted a chess computer as powerful as Deep
    Blue-my own world-champion-level sparring partner."

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Jan 27, 2006

  2. YKhan

    Sean Cousins Guest

    I don't need a Deep Blue level of chess partner, these two free chess
    programs are hard enough for me. :)

    http://www.arasanchess.org/

    http://www.pawnchess.com/

    Sean Cousins, Jan 27, 2006

  3. YKhan

    YKhan Guest

    I am the world's worst chess player. I stopped trying after a while.
    Then one day I got into Battle Chess: Chinese Chess. I was occasionally
    beating that game (albeit at low difficulty levels), so I was so happy,
    thought I finally found my game. I liked the animations too. Then one
    day some friends of my parents came by and they brought their prodigy
    son with them. I showed him the game on my PC, and gave him a few basic
    rules of the chinese game, and the guy picked up within minutes, and
    then told me to crank up the difficulty level right upto 9/9. And he
    beat the machine by the first time! I never touched that game ever
    again, made my brain look bad. :)

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Jan 27, 2006
  4. YKhan

    Sean Cousins Guest

    Haha...I play Chessmaster on Grandmaster level, that way I have an
    excuse for losing every game. I would probably lose every game on the
    easiest level too.

    Sean Cousins, Jan 28, 2006
  5. That was a good article.

    The one thing that was pretty disappointing is that the article talks
    over and over about the matchup between the systems ... and in the end
    .... they didn't get a chance to actually play each other ??? Just seems
    like they could have chosen different way word it all along (ie If,
    Might, Maybe, Could, Probably, etc).

    gaf1234567890, Jan 28, 2006
  6. YKhan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I think what they're mostly waiting for is a grid-capable chess program.
    It's obvious that no 4-core Opteron system could seriously hope to keep
    up with Deep Blue.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 28, 2006
  7. YKhan

    Del Cecchi Guest

    Has Deep Blue been updated? When was the hardware for deep blue built?

    del

    Del Cecchi, Jan 29, 2006
  8. YKhan

    Keith Guest

    Has there been another challenge?

    Keith, Jan 29, 2006
  9. YKhan

    YKhan Guest

    1997. According to the article it consisted of 32 Power2 cores, and
    about 512 specialized "chess processors", and cost IBM $100M. They're
    seeing what they can now manage with off-the-shelf hardware.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Jan 29, 2006
  10. YKhan

    YKhan Guest

    No, they're just trying to see if they can match or exceed Deep Blue
    nowadays with commodity hardware with less cost. Deep Blue cost $100M.

    I gather that once grid-capable chess programs are available, the next
    generation of chess machines will be going in the same direction as
    supercomputers have gone towards superclusters.

    Yousuf Khan

    YKhan, Jan 29, 2006
  11. YKhan

    Tony Hill Guest

    A lot of what this article boils down to is simply a comparison of
    ASICs designed for a very specific task vs. general purpose CPUs. The
    result, which is not at all surprising, is that for a specific task,
    ASICs can do a whole lot better.

    Tony Hill, Jan 29, 2006
  12. YKhan

    Keith Guest

    It doesn't take long to eat through $100M on a one-off design. That's
    only 40-50 warm.body-years.
    Hmm, maybe that's the real purpose behind the Cell. ;-)

    Keith, Jan 29, 2006
  13. YKhan

    Del Cecchi Guest

    100M/50 = 2M/PY. You guys must make a lot more than us E&TS guys.
    damn, I knew I deserved a raise.

    Del Cecchi, Jan 29, 2006
  14. YKhan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Don't forget managers and execs count as warm bodies too.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jan 29, 2006
  15. YKhan

    Rob Stow Guest

    I've had a couple of jobs working for PhD's doing medical
    research. By the time you factor in equipment costs, office
    space, clerical support, technical support, etc., for every
    dollar of PhD salary there was 10+ dollars spent on other things.

    Rob Stow, Jan 29, 2006
  16. YKhan

    Keith Guest

    Ok, it seems I can't get the decades right. Maybe that's why I made
    more a decade ago than today. ...and *WE* make money? 72% this year. :-(

    Tis' a damned good thin that AMD is making someone money! ;-)

    Keith, Jan 30, 2006
  17. YKhan

    Al Dykes Guest

    IBM's way beyond that, now.

    http://www.top500.org/lists/2005/11/basic

    131,072 processors.

    http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/

    Late last year I saw a presentation by a couple of the engineers on
    that project. Neat.

    Al Dykes, Jan 30, 2006
  18. YKhan

    Del Cecchi Guest

    Del Cecchi, Jan 30, 2006
  19. YKhan

    David Kanter Guest

    Yeah. I heard the hardware was done by some farmers out on the tundra in
    Really? I heard the farmers decided that they should let the cows do
    it...

    DK

    David Kanter, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Wrong farm. The cows are in Vermont. The tundra farmers heard
    corn. ;-)

    Keith Williams, Jan 30, 2006