Default Browser Preferences Moved in Panther?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by PRS, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. PRS

    PRS Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Upgraded to Panther last night and so far so good. Only hitch is that I
    can't seem to find a control panel for modifying my system's default web
    browser. There was an Internet option in System Preferences in 10.2.8
    where I could go in and choose whether I wanted Opera, Mozilla Firebird,
    Internet Explorer, Safari, etc. as the default browser. I can't seem to
    find it now.

    Does any one know where the control panel has moved to? or is there
    another way to set the default browser in Panther?

    I know it's a strange obsession of mine, but I like to test new browsers
    as they come out. If anybody has any insight in how to set this under
    Panther, I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    PRS, Oct 26, 2003

  2. PRS

    sbt Guest

    You set the default browser in Safari's Preferences. You set the
    default email client in Mail's Preferences. Thus, if you want to
    experiment as you describe, you have to keep these around until other
    clients make it part of their preferences as well.

    sbt, Oct 26, 2003

  3. PRS

    PRS Guest

    Thanks, sbt and Steve. When I looked in the Safari preferences, it does
    indeed let you change the global default browser to whichever browser
    you'd like. (Ironically, the Panther upgrade kept my default 10.2.8
    preference of Opera. I wanted to play with the new Safari as my
    default, and that is when I noticed the Internet option was missing
    from the control panel!)

    I agree with Steve that Apple seems to be "privileging" Safari and Mail
    over other web and email clients in a way that is eerily similar to
    Microsoft (Explorer and Outlook). If I understand how Panther is
    working now, I can't remove Safari or Mail from my Pantherized Mac
    without losing the ability to set global default preferences for web
    and mail. This seems like a substantial reduction in degrees of
    freedom for the OS.

    --Phil

    PRS, Oct 26, 2003
  4. PRS

    Jim Witte Guest

    And this is the only complaint I've got so far with Panther. This is
    Worse than the complain that "why should I have to use an email
    program to identify.." is the fact that this creates a fundementally
    fragmented interface (also a hallmark of windows [no offense to
    Hallmark Greeting Cards]). This is also evident on the mac in how it
    handles file extensions and default applications - there is no
    central place where I can set all of the associations, or set what
    will come up in the "Open With" popup for particular extensioned
    files. It's also evident, although less so, with the View options (I
    can't for instance set different sets of view options, or recursively
    set all directories to the same view options, or just a group of
    directories [I don't think])

    APPLE! We DON'T need a fragmented interface!

    And as for me, I use Mail because 1) it's free and 2) it does what
    I want and (probably) 3) I haven't tried Entourage. I don't use
    Safari because it seems slower than Camino. I don't know why - I
    think it has something to do with when it *starts* to render than
    page, and the fact that Camino will save passwords in the Keychain
    (although I think Safari will do this too)

    Jim

    Jim Witte, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Yes, it does. Also, its auto-complete function for items not in your
    address book is site based.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 25, 2003
  6. PRS

    Matt Simpson Guest

    The latest versions of the iCab browser
    http://www.icab.de
    also include a small stand-alone application called MisFox to set
    Internet Preferences

    It allows you to set default browser/mail/news/ftp programs, as well
    as file handlers and
    URL application helpers.

    I think iCab is a slick browser, but even if you don't like it, the
    MisFox app is a handy one to have around.

    Matt Simpson, Nov 26, 2003