    that if I make a change to default view it will affect every single folder.

    I am using OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro

    Many thanks in advance for suggestions and/or curses! :)

    TaliesinSoft, Apr 27, 2008

  2. TaliesinSoft

    Guest Guest

    what type of change?
    in leopard, whatever view you pick (icon, list, column, coverflow) is
    the one that's used for all folders unless you specifically set a
    folder to retain a particular view. this is different than in tiger
    and earlier where the view mode was per folder.

    Guest, Apr 27, 2008

  3. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    As an example, I might want to change icon size and have the change apply to
    every folder that might be opened.
    I think that somewhere along the line variant views other than "default" were
    applied to some folders. What I would like to do is to override such settings
    with a single action that would apply to each and every folder, or at least
    all folders subservient to the currently open folder.

    TaliesinSoft, Apr 27, 2008
  4. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Oops, poor wording! I should have said "have the change apply to every folder
    that might subsequently be opened".

    TaliesinSoft, Apr 27, 2008
  5. TaliesinSoft

    Guest Guest

    Oops, poor wording! I should have said "have the change apply to every folder
    that might subsequently be opened".[/QUOTE]

    you can change the icon size globally in view options.

    Guest, Apr 27, 2008
  6. It is. But there's no documented means to change it en mass like the OP
    is asking, and the .DS_Store file holds information in it that people
    might not like to lose if they tried deleting it as a way to reset to
    the default view.

    Gregory Weston, Apr 27, 2008
  7. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Somehow things now seem to be working as I wanted. If I open Finder, select
    Show View Options from the View menu, select the properties I wish every
    folder to have, and then select Use as Defaults, it appears that every folder
    opened will adhere to these properties.

    Why this didn't seem to work until now boggles me! Who knows what silly
    mistake I was making. :)

    TaliesinSoft, Apr 27, 2008
  8. TaliesinSoft

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Where is Use as Defaults? I can't see it in Show View Options (my
    folders open in column view, perhaps that's why).

    I think there is a bug in 10.5.2 rather than my error, as others have
    reported it. But, although I have turned off 'show icon preview' it
    keeps coming back (after any logout and logging back, I think). I am
    still wondering if I have failed to confirm something.

    Daniel Cohen, Apr 28, 2008
  9. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On a somewhat casual inspection I've noticed that although my view
    preferences applied to the Applications folder itself they did not propagate
    to some of folders within. For example the folders within Freeway 5 Pro were
    not modified but those within FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced and iWork '08 were.

    TaliesinSoft, Apr 28, 2008
  10. TaliesinSoft

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    I've discovered the issue here, but Idon't yet know if I have something
    wrong (corrupt preferences?) or it is the way it is supposed to work.

    I see a "View as Defaults" button for icon view, list view, and cover
    flow viw.

    But it is*not* present on my system in column view.

    Daniel Cohen, Apr 29, 2008
  11. TaliesinSoft

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Thanks to you and gtr for confirming that this is the way it is supposed
    to work, and not some glitch inmy machine.

    Daniel Cohen, Apr 29, 2008
  12. TaliesinSoft

    Hauke Fath Guest

    Does anybody know about a way to revert the (misguided, IMO) 10.5 Finder
    behaviour to 10.4's?

    hauke

    Hauke Fath, May 23, 2008
  13. TaliesinSoft

    Hauke Fath Guest

    Ah well. The Macintosh was about choice. Then.

    hauke

    Hauke Fath, May 27, 2008