Default (initial) folder view prefs?Default (initial) folder viewprefs?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Keith Wiley, Dec 14, 2007.

  1. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    How do I specify the default view for new folders? Every time I make
    a new folder (and let's face it, we do this several times a day, 365
    days a year, our whole lives) I have to:
    -- Turn off the side panel and toolbar.
    -- Switch to list view if the previous (and totally unrelated)
    Finder folder wasn't in list view.
    -- Drag the size column next to the name column.
    -- Open View Options and enable calc-all-sizes.
    I have to do all this work for EVERY new folder EVERY single freaking
    time. I've had it! I fail to understand how the rest of the Mac
    world isn't bothered by this, but I assume they aren't or else Apple
    would have fixed this years ago.

    I aware of the Finder pref "Always open folders in a new window" and I
    am aware of the View Option "Always open in icon/list/column view"
    pref. These are both unrelated to the described problem of course.

    How do I set up a permanent default for new folders?

    Is the current behavior really the preferred behavior by most users?
    If there really is no way to do this, can someone offer me a
    justification? Apple must think this is the right way to do it since
    they have had numerous opportunities over several years and OS
    versions to change this Finder behavior. What am I missing here?

    Thank you for any assistance.

    Keith Wiley, Dec 14, 2007

  2. Keith Wiley

    Warren Oates Guest

    I find the Finder the weakest part of OS X, especially the way it deals
    with the view styles. However, have you tried right-click, Show View
    Options, Save as Defaults? It won't keep the "always open with" button
    checked, though. BTW, how do you turn remove the side panel and toolbar?

    Warren Oates, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Keith Wiley

    Guest Guest

    yep, it's absurd, although calculate sizes can be set for all windows
    (but perhaps not the best thing to do), not that it's all that
    accurate. and i've yet to see a new window default to list view,
    regardless of the parent folder's setting.

    with leopard it's even worse because the view mode (list/icon/etc.) is
    whatever you last *used* instead of being tied to the folder. you have
    to explicitly set it to stick for every single folder. however, if you
    like *everything* in list view, i guess it will work out better.
    i don't know of any solution, but hopefully someone else has a
    suggestion.
    you may not realize that the only user that matters is steve jobs.
    apparently he likes it this way.
    you're missing steve's 'vision'

    Guest, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    test

    google groups says there are two replies, but only shows my initial
    post. I can't see the replies. Just doing a test reply here. Please
    ignore.

    Keith Wiley, Dec 14, 2007
  5. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    Yep, I can see my reply, the fourth message in this thread, but I
    can't see the first two replies. google groups simply doesn't show
    them. Did they answer my question? Uuuuuuuugh.

    Keith Wiley, Dec 14, 2007
  6. Keith Wiley

    Beth C Guest

    Jolly, You aren't living up to your Name(ID) are you? Gawd!

    Beth C, Dec 21, 2007
  7. I hate this behavior with a Passion. I don't know how other ppl use
    their Mac, but I accept to pay a slightly higer price, cranky flashy
    hardware, not so polished UNIX kernel... because MacOS X is a
    productive environment for me. The UI works great or used to....

    The new icon set in Leopard => WRONG. Has to be replaced with the old
    ones.
    The new Dock style => WRONG. Has to be be replcaed with the old ones.
    The new Finder not remember window style and position => WRONG. Cannot
    be fixed!!!!!!!

    Let me be clear about this. If I want a stupid thing that does not
    remember any spatial setting, I just move to Windows. Windows Explorer
    is excellent at being dumb and making me read tons of text before
    finding the stuff, or click on a stupid "please remember the view
    settings" every time. In 10.4 Finder I just remember I put it there,
    or set the default to list/column when there is a lot to read, and the
    next time I come back, without having to confirm it, IT REMEMBERS IT!!

    I WILL STAY ON 10.4 AS LONG AS THIS 10.5 ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN FIXED. I
    know, it may appear like a little thing, but there's nothing else of
    big interest for me in this new release. Apple I hope you HEAR ME
    here.

    If it's not fixed in one yr, then I will have to think that Apple aims
    to make the Finder looks like Windows Explorer. Therefore I will have
    to write a replacement for the Finder.

    Let this be clear once again. Once of the main reasons I stick to the
    Mac is the ergonomy of the UI. The OS is slow, marginal, the machines
    are expensive... If they start to kill the UI and force me to rewrite
    every piece of software to have the behavior I want to have, I can do
    it...
    ===>>>> BUT THERE IS NO REASON I DO THIS ON THE MAC.

    jackjeffgoogle1107, Jan 5, 2008