Defective Media Center Edition 2005 cd from Dell.. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by allegro, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
    with my system.
    A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
    minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

    I tried again and again, but no luck.
    So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

    I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
    new cd... I called
    many times, but they will not send it. (They refuse to send a replacement
    after a month i heard, but they it was running fine, so)

    Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
    for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
    But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
    that i need to make a regular
    OEM copy to a Dell copy -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell-
    that would be great.
    That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
    a friend..
    I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to my
    XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/109040099/927141702rPPNfm8mypnwZU5r71T

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
    otherwise those 12mb of files would do.

    The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

    -------- The needed files ---------
    In folder \I386:
    DPCDLL.DL_
    EULA.TXT
    NT5INF.CA_
    OEMBIOS.BI_
    OEMBIOS.CA_
    OEMBIOS.DA_
    OEMBIOS.SI_
    PIDGEN.DLL
    SETUPP.INI
    SETUPREG.HIV
    UNATTEND.TXT
    WINNT.SIF

    In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
    WIN95UPG.INF

    Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

    You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
    the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

    Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

    @ECHO OFF
    :START
    MKDIR C:\XPbios
    MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

    Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    folder-, then save it and double cick it..

    On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/109040099/927141702rPPNfm8mypnwZU5r71T

    allegro, Feb 20, 2005

  2. allegro

    Andy Guest

    Hi first of all I know this is probably much to late to be of any
    help.. You mentioned defective cd or dvd. Do you have any idea how
    many times some people have turned defective software into good
    software by simply wiping the thing clean. I did not see you mention
    that you tried that. If not try it sometimes a smudge or dust is all
    it takes to keep you from getting to a key file or .dll which will stop
    the whole process dead in its tracks...Just a thought...Andy

    Andy, Feb 21, 2005

  3. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for your input.
    Well, i did try to clean it and used both free and commercial data/disc
    recovery tools on it, however about 40% was unreadible.. A few forensic data
    recovery tools were able to get part of that data too, but that data was
    corrupt.. Nothing i could do with that..

    However, i hope some fellow Dell user could help me out.. I know i could
    just borrow a copy of a friends regular OEM version, but then i will still
    have to activate and use my key..
    It would be much better to have the Dell copy up and running again, i paid
    for it!

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Feb 21, 2005
  4. allegro

    Andy Guest

    Allegro thanks for the explanation. You sound like you have done all
    that is humanly possible to make that Defective thing work..I commend
    you on your over and above efforts...Now I really think its up to Dell
    to make it work..I.E. give you another copy. I mean that is called
    Customer Support, something that used to be very prevalent in this
    country, not just a buzzword...Good luck to you Allegro

    Andy, Feb 22, 2005
  5. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Since no one seems to have it at the moment, i'll just wait if someone
    replies and is willing to upload. Otherwise i just have to post this request
    again.
    Since i really wanted the system to run, i had to resort to a pirated copy..
    I'm not very happy with that, but since no one will upload atm..
    I just have to wait and see if someone would be so nice here to help me out,
    since i know this isn't running a legal copy.
    Running a Dell copy with my orig. Dell key and licence is..
    But at least i have it running for now, although i would feel better with a
    Dell copy..
    Hi,

    Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
    be best, but other languages would work also..
    Or just those 12mb of files to change a regular in a Dell copy.. I'm willing
    to pay a small fee for it.. It's
    also possible to send it by regular mail.. (Or usenet)

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    I picture i took with my budget camera of my defective copy (Dutch):
    http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

    XDrive account
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

    allegro, Mar 10, 2005
  6. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I wanted to update this thread, since i called Dell again today.
    After been connected many times with diferent support personel, finally got
    some confirmation:
    The software return period (still not sure if it's 21 or 30 days) is the
    reason i don't get a replacement.
    Besides that, they removed MCE2005 from the software list, because they only
    got a few orders and most people only want XP Home or Pro.

    So, i guess this means i can forget any help from Dell.. I also mailed
    Michael Dell himself, but i think even he can't help me if they dropped
    support for MCE2005 in the Netherlands..
    This seems to me like a total lack of service and support, even if i'm
    willing to pay big bucks Dell can't help me.. I thought they should at least
    have a few copies of MCE2005 (Dutch) in the factory.

    So, unless someone was lucky enough to get a Dutch Dell copy of Windows XP
    Media Center Edition 2005 disc, and is willing to upload or mail it by
    regular mail.. I can just use any Dell copy of MCE2005.. Does not matter if
    it's UK, US or any other language..

    Uploading the full copy would be best, but if that's too much too ask, about
    12mb of needed files would convert any regular OEM copy to a Dell copy..
    Only thing is, i don't know the precise directory structure and label
    (discname) anymore.. Somene could help me out? Anything i missed?
    I tried cleaning the Dell dvd again, tried to polish it, but it was a bit
    too much i guess.. Now i only get a "no disc" message after a few minutes..
    But, since i never written down the directory structure or label/name of the
    disc, i just have no idea what is on the Dell disc that's not on the regular
    OEM?
    I did not do a side by side comparison, but the 2cd's of the regular OEM are
    800mb together, the Dell disc was larger if i remember correctly..
    So, if someone could list the cdlabel and directory structure that would be
    great..

    To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
    maybe the content i'm missing), you can use any binaries newsgroup or my
    XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
    the upload if wanted..

    Thanks in advance,

    Allegro.

    My Dell copy (now it's in much worser shape)

    allegro, Mar 14, 2005