DEL to enter Setup or ALT F2 to enter EZ Flash

Discussion in 'Asus' started by olrac, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. olrac

    olrac Guest

    Two problems which may be linked.

    When booting the pc goes into setup menu i.e
    press DEL to enter Setup or ALT F2 to enter EZ Flash.. To boot to windows I
    hit DEL to eneter setup then immediately exit this then boots to Windows
    and all works fine until I reboot.

    I have tried many bios changes but still the same. the bios version is 1005,
    In cant change to 1007 because ALT F2 does not work and nothing happens.
    Ive tried reseting mobo by removing battery but no good.

    This mobo has always been like it from new Im thikning its a faulty Mobo

    my system is
    asus A7V8X-X
    AMD ATHLON XP2400
    Samsung 256 DDR333 PC2700
    Geforce 64 MbB MX400
    60gb maxtor 7200
    windows xp pro

    Olrac

    olrac, Dec 21, 2003

  2. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    It is normal for Asus motherboards to display the message you say that you
    see. Have you tried simply doing nothing when you see the message to see if
    if will boot into Windows? Or is there some other error message displayed
    too?

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 21, 2003

  3. olrac

    olrac Guest

    No, It just hangs on that screen and theres no error message.

    Olrac

    olrac, Dec 21, 2003
  4. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    If it is hanging on that screen, there is something during the POST that is
    making it hange. Do you have it set to auto detect the IDE drives? If so,
    has it done so, or is it hanging before this? If not, set it up that way in
    the BIOS and see what happens.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 21, 2003
  5. olrac

    Michael Bird Guest

    I have the same frustration but it is not a permanent problem. After about
    three months of almost faultless operation I started to have the start up
    problem. It will probably occur one out of every five bootups from cold. A
    touch on the front reset button solves the problem and the computer then
    goes through the full cycle and boots up.

    My set up is a little different but not appreciably so.
    A7V8X-X
    XP 2600+XP running at 2083mhz
    Asus GeForce FX5200 126mb
    PC2700 256MB DDR x 2
    Units runs stable at 48C/34C with four case fans and one processor fan -
    quiet too.

    The boot up problem is a pain though. I have gone through all of the
    standard clean ups and try to keep my computer as clean of adware as I can.
    Because the problem is intermittent and solved by just a touch on the reset
    button I'm at a loss myself. I'm beginning to suspect a problem in the PSU
    but when it's running all the voltages seem to be correct and stable. I
    look forward to hearing how other users have solved the problem.

    Michael Bird

    Michael Bird, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Does it freeze "Detecting IDE drives" ?
    Keyboard looks dead ?

    Gino Zantafio, Dec 21, 2003
  7. olrac

    Michael Bird Guest

    Locks on the Asus lighning fork.
    After pressing TAB goes to posting page and locks after
    "PNP Init Completed"
    Then have to go through the Bios Setup routine and computer will boot up.

    Only other change that I have noticed is that I am getting a lot more
    pop-ups than I did before and 'Gain" is trying to load on a regular basis.

    Michael

    Michael Bird, Dec 21, 2003
  8. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    Locks, or stops? By that I mean can you at that point enter setup or do you
    have to reset to enter?

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 21, 2003
  9. olrac

    Michael Bird Guest

    After the PNP Init Completed screen have to press DEL and go through setup
    steps to complete booting up.
    If I press the front reset button it will go through the booting up cycle
    without going through setup.

    Michael

    Michael Bird, Dec 21, 2003
  10. olrac

    Chris Guest

    Have you loaded setup defaults?

    Chris, Dec 21, 2003
  11. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    What do you mean by go through setup steps? Do you have to change anything?
    Can you just exit setup without making any changes?

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 21, 2003
  12. olrac

    olrac Guest

    No changes are made to the setup, I just enter setup by hitting "del" then
    exit .

    Olrac

    olrac, Dec 22, 2003
  13. olrac

    Michael Bird Guest

    Same here exactly.

    Michael

    Michael Bird, Dec 22, 2003
  14. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    But, are you hitting f10 (or picking save) or hitting escape and picking
    discard? If the former, it should be restarting the POST, the latter is
    skipping the POST.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 22, 2003
  15. olrac

    olrac Guest

    I am scrolling across the top menu items and then to "exit and save"
    I have tried resetting to default menues and even removed the battery
    backup.

    I think now the problem may be due to my KVM Switch http://www.maplin.co.uk/
    product code A64AF.
    My other PC on this KVM Switch is similar spec to the one that dont workl
    but the Mobo is an Asus A7V8X- L but this works fine through the KVM.

    Olrac

    olrac, Dec 22, 2003
  16. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    Try setting it to not halt on any error and see what happens. On Asus
    boards, this should be on the 1st page along with date/time, etc.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 23, 2003
  17. olrac

    olrac Guest

    I can now get past this first screen "DEL to enter Setup or ALT F2 to enter
    EZ Flash" by disabling the "quick power on self test" but then ist goes into
    a long memory test which I can skip by pressing Esc.
    Although its better it still aint normal. does this point to a memory
    problem?

    olrac

    olrac, Dec 23, 2003
  18. olrac

    Sick Willie Guest

    As a matter of fact, it very well could. Even when you do the quick POST,
    the machine does take a look at memory. I have seen machines that had bad
    memory hang at this point. However, if you disable the quick POST and test
    the memory, you should find that it fails.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 23, 2003
  19. olrac

    olrac Guest