    re-format it. The HD currently has 3 partitions and the other 2 are almost
    full. I've booted to my Maxtor MaxBlast CD and tried doing it that way but
    it's not working.

    Robert J. Rando, Dec 31, 2005

  2. The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    :

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Dec 31, 2005

  3. Robert J. Rando

    Rock Guest

    Boot from the XP CD. It has all the tools you need to do delete the old
    partition, format and install. See this link for info on how to do the
    installation:

    Rock, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Robert J. Rando

    Saucy Lemon Guest

    Could you have cross-posted more?

    Saucy Lemon, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Robert J. Rando

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:39:59
    -0500, in alt.computer.hardware, the queezy keyboard of "Saucy Lemon"
    <> spewed the following:

    |Robert J. Rando wrote:
    |> I need to do a clean install of XP due to a virus. I want to
    |> preferably delete the partition that XP is currently installed, or at
    |> the very least re-format it. The HD currently has 3 partitions and
    |> the other 2 are almost full. I've booted to my Maxtor MaxBlast CD and
    |> tried doing it that way but it's not working.
    |
    |Could you have cross-posted more?

    I have a saucy lemon.
    --

    -nos1eep

    One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory”
    to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd
    of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
    the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back
    that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd
    as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group
    keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In
    much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
    slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know,
    kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest
    brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer
    eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and
    more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after
    a few beers.

    nos1eep, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Robert J. Rando

    Rock Guest

    Robert, here's the correct link for a clean install, sorry about that.

    Rock, Dec 31, 2005

  7. Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is
    rather like using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll
    probably get the job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always
    unnecessary.

    However, if that's what you want to do:

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    You're fortunate. If you've data on the other two partitions that you
    want to preserve, don't use MaxBlast - I've lost count of the number of
    hard drives and partitions that software has trashed, over the years.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Bruce,

    Normally I would agree 100%. I've been dealing with a LSASS.EXE problem for
    1 week now. Auto shutdown after 10 minutes. Booted system with McAfee boot
    disk with latest virus definition and cleaned 455 files infected with W32
    and Sasser virus (result of kids download install of a program). Did a
    repair install 2x with XP slipstreamed with SP2 but problem still persists.
    I've wasted the better part of the week trying to recover and have finally
    given in to the dreaded "clean install".

    Bob

    Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus or spyware problem is

    Robert J. Rando, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Robert J. Rando

    Saucy Lemon Guest

    Since you don't take it seriously, just wipe the drive and reinstall.

    Saucy Lemon, Jan 1, 2006
  10. Robert J. Rando

    Alias Guest

    You need the MazBlast FLOPPIES. Download them from Maxtor's site with
    another computer, make the floppies, boot the computer that you want to
    format with the floppy, let it install, follow directions. If you do a
    full format (zeros to disk), it will take hours and hours but everything
    will be gone. You can use these tools to partition as well, after the
    format. Once it's done, reboot to BIOS, set CDROM as first boot, stick
    the XP CD in, save and exit and begin the XP install. Once that's done,
    set the boot order back in the BIOS.

    Alias, Jan 3, 2006
  11. Robert J. Rando

    Rod Speed Guest

    No you dont, the CD version is the same thing.

    Rod Speed, Jan 3, 2006