    soon as I login again with the new account I can't access the folders
    again. Help please! I'm desperate.

    Thanks.

    Rhys Holden, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Rhys Holden

    bogus Guest

    Just a thought... Have you tried adding an account the same as the
    deleted account then moving files in that home folder?

    dp

    bogus, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Rhys Holden

    Ernie Klein Guest

    If I am getting this right, you created a new user and moved the files
    from the deleted user account to the new one. If that is correct then
    the problem probably is that the owner of the files is either 1) the old
    user, or 2) root - because you moved files while logged in as root, or
    3) something else, depending how the files have been moved. In any
    event, the new user can't open the files because that user isn't the
    owner of the files. You can change the owner of the files to the new
    user using a terminal command.

    The command: 'ls -l /Users' will list all the users folders and their
    names.

    The command:

    sudo chown -R new_user:new_user /Users/new_user

    where: new_user is the short name of the new user account you created.

    That command will change the owner and group to the new user for the
    user folder and all files within the folder.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Rhys Holden

    Simon Slavin Guest

    If you're using a version of the OS which leaves those files intact
    (which probably means 10.2 or before) then you can do this by
    changing the ownership of those files. Do a 'Get Info' on the folder
    at the top level. Open the 'Ownership & Permissions' panel. Change
    the owner to yourself. Click the 'Apply to enclosed items...' button.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Apr 28, 2005
  5. startup the mac in Target mode by holding "T" while starting up, then
    use another mac to access the harddrive via firewire. Permissions on
    external volumes are ignored by default

    Oliver Taylor, Apr 29, 2005