Dell 3115cn printer wakes up every time phone goes off hook

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Gunoo, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. Gunoo

    Gunoo Guest

    Hello,

    I have a 3115cn MFP which is connected to my phone line at home.
    I only have the one line, which I normally use for voice
    communications. Since I rarely send faxes, and even less frequently
    receive them, I elected to set the auto-answer timeout to 255, set the
    "answer select" to TEL mode, and enable remote receive.

    I can send faxes fine. If an incoming fax comes in, the phone
    rings, I pick it up, hear the tone, and hit 00 on my phone. The 3115cn
    reacts and takes the fax. All this works great.

    However I have noted that if the 3115cn is in sleep mode, and I
    pick up the phone to make a call, the machine wakes up immediately,
    even though no faxing is involved. Alternatively, if the phone rings,
    it will ring and as soon as I pick it up, or my answering machine
    picks it up, the 3115cn wakes up.

    When I say wake up, it doesn't actually pick up the line, just
    comes out of sleep mode, i.e. runs the scanner-lamp carriage and the
    print engine momentarily, and the LCD panel lights up. It's not earth
    shattering, just annoying. Is there anything I can do about it, other
    than unplug it from the phone line? Thank you for reading-

    Gunoo, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Gunoo

    tom Guest

    I have a caller ID program that uses the internal modem on my computer.
    After a recent reformat I noticed that every time I'd pick up the phone to
    use it the caller ID program would register an unidentified call had been
    received. I resolved this by updating the modem drivers and the ghost calls
    stopped. Perhaps you could try and update the drivers on whatever modem the
    3115cn MFP is using to receive calls.

    tom, Jul 10, 2007