Dell 4550 Freezing and kernel errors

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dillon Family, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. My daughter's 1-year old Dell 4550 has begun to freeze up for no apparent
    reason (although there obviously is one). No new software or hardware was
    installed, and it began after sitting unused for about two months. Still
    under warranty.

    She's in school now, but while she was home, I did all the recommended
    procedures: defrag, scanned for spyware, scandisk (many times) and ran the
    Dell diagnostics, which found everything was fine. Did XP (Home) repair and
    it was fine for about two weeks, and now it's begun seizing up again and
    she's 300 miles away.

    One error we got while she was home was the following:

    "KERNEL-STACK_INPAGE_ERROR ***STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC0000185 0xC0000185,
    0x00000000, 0x00480000) BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY..A REQUIRED PAGE
    OF KERNEL DATA COULD NOT BE READ FROM THE PAGING FILE INTO MEMORY OR MB
    (motherboard?) RECORD - VIMM BOOT SECOTR - STACK =0Xc0000185
    status_IO_DEVICE_ERROR"
    (or words to that effect from my notes)

    Got that message only one time. There may be two problems: 1) when the
    machine freezes, the mouse is okay...she can't click on anything and has to
    do a hard reset...2) sometimes the machine reboots itself, and she gets a
    error stating that the hard drive 0 can't be found. If she turns off the
    system and restarts, the HD can usually be found and the machine can start
    normally. She can also hear a click-click sound when it freezes.

    Virus scans have been run, or course.

    I hate she's gonna have to deal with Dell tech support but she's kinda geeky
    so it may work out. Curious if any of the newsgroupers had any advice.
    (Fortunately she has a back up machine in her room, but would sure like to
    get the Dell fixed). Thanks.

    Dillon Family, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Dillon Family

    Tom Scales Guest

    From that message, I would guess either a memory problem or a hard disk
    problem. I would:

    1) set it to NO paging file
    2) Scandisk in Safe Mode
    3) Defrag in Safe Mode
    4) Recreate the paging file

    If that does not fix the problem, I would remove one of the memory sticks
    (assuming there are two) and limp a long and see if it still freezes. If
    not, swap the sticks. Hopefully one will be the problem.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Thanks for the reply. I'll pass the info along. Trying to remember how to
    get into Safe Mode with her machine. F8?

    Any other ideas welcomed.

    Dillon Family, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Dillon Family

    Michael Guest

    wait if theres clicking when it freezes? dont that sound like a hard drive
    failure? i do know i had a computer the hard drive clicked alot before it died

    Michael, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Dillon Family

    Gus Guest

    From Microsoft's KnowledgeBase:

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315266
    Support Centers
    Windows XP

    Troubleshooting "Stop 0x00000077" or "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR"
    View products that this article applies to.
    WARNING: This article contains steps that may involve changing your
    basic input/output system (BIOS) or complementary metal oxide
    semiconductor (CMOS) settings or that may require you to make physical
    changes to your computer hardware. Incorrect changes to the BIOS of your
    computer can result in serious problems. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
    problems that result from changes to your BIOS can be resolved. Change
    your BIOS settings at your own risk. If you need assistance with any of
    these steps, contact your hardware manufacturer and note that making
    either hardware or BIOS changes to your computer may invalidate your
    warranty. If you do not want to make hardware changes to your computer,
    you can take your computer to a repair center.
    SYMPTOMS
    When you are running Windows XP, you may receive one of the following
    error messages:

    *

    Stop 0x00000077

    KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

    This article describes how to troubleshoot these error messages.
    CAUSE
    This issue can occur if a requested page of kernel data could not be
    read from the paging file into memory, or the master boot record is
    infected with a virus. To further determine the possible cause, you must
    properly interpret the error message. If both the first and third
    parameters are zero, then the four parameters are defined as:

    1. 0 (zero)
    2. Page Table Entry (PTE) value at time of error
    3. 0 (zero)
    4. Address of signature on kernel stack

    If either the first or the third parameter is not a zero, then the
    following definitions apply:

    1. Status code
    2. I/O status code
    3. Page file number
    4. Offset into page file

    If this is the case, the cause of this issue may be determined from the
    second parameter (the I/O status code) by using the following
    information that is listed in a "value of second parameter" followed by
    "general cause" format:

    0xC000009A, or STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES: lack of nonpaged pool
    resources.

    0xC000009C, or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR: bad blocks on the hard disk.

    0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED: bad cabling,
    non-termination, or the controller is not able to obtain access to the
    hard disk.

    0xC000016A, or STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED: bad blocks on the hard disk.

    0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR: improper termination or defective
    cabling of SCSI-based devices, or two devices attempting to use the same
    IRQ.

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:
    Boot Sector Virus
    To determine if you have a boot sector virus, run a current
    virus-checking program, and if needed, disinfect your computer.
    Not a Boot Sector Virus

    * View the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages
    that help you determine the device that is causing the error.
    * Bad block. Stop 0x77 is caused by a bad block in a paging file,
    or a disk controller error, or in extremely rare cases it is caused when
    non-paged pool resources are unavailable.
    * If the first and second parameters are 0, then the stack
    signature was not found in the kernel stack. The cause of this issue is
    defective hardware. If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is
    on a SCSI-based hard disk, you should verify the disk cabling and SCSI
    termination.
    * If the I/O status code is 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A, this normally
    indicates that the data could not be read from the disk due to a bad block.
    * If you can restart your computer after the error message, Autochk
    runs automatically and tries to map out the bad sector. If for some
    reason Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually start
    the disk scanner. If your computer is formatted with the NTFS file
    system, run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart your
    computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start your computer
    due to this issue, use the Command Console and run Chkdsk /r.
    * Defective or unreliable random access memory (RAM) is another
    common cause of this issue.
    * Verify that all the adapter cards in your computer are properly
    seated.
    * Ensure that all adapter card contacts are clean.
    * Disable system caching in the BIOS to see if this resolves the error.
    * If this does not resolve the issue, your computer mainboard
    (motherboard) may be damaged.

    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    that are listed at the beginning of this article.

    * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

    Last Reviewed: 2/4/2002 (1.0)

    Contact Us

    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use
    Security & Privacy Accessibility

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315266

    Gus, Jan 17, 2004