    about this, none of which were answered by Dell staff. Someone
    said they were told by Dell that such an option was "controversial."
    (Translation: We're too lazy to change the BIOS.)

    Someone, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Return it!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Being that it is a "Server" and not general desktop it is meant to be on at
    all times. They only put most options in the BIOS that are inteneded for
    that type of machine.

    That is why you can get a 4hr 7x24hr response contract on Poweredge and some
    Optiplex systems and not on the Inspirion and Dimension.

    Also you get different queues and support numbers so you don't usually have
    the same hold times as in the Inspirion and Dimension folks.

    --Shawn

    Nacho Business, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Stupid question, but has anyone actually tried leaving the 600SC turned on
    and kill the incoming AC power to simulate a power outage then restoring the
    AC power to see if the 600SC powers up by itself or stays dead?

    Perhaps the 600Sc is already designed to power up automatically even tho
    there is nowhere in the BIOS to set it.

    I have two 600SC's among the 22 servers I have a work, and never thought to
    check to see if they will boot automatically when the power is restored. All
    the servers are being powered from two massive UPS's, and we haven't had a
    power outage long enough to exceed the UPS's capacity since the 600SC's were
    installed.

    The one surprise I did encounter with my 600SC's, was that they do not ship
    with drivers for NT 4.0. Our 600SC's were bought with Server 2000, and they
    run very nicely with that, but do to some current applications that require
    Server NT 4.0, I tried installing Server NT 4.0 on one of the 600SC's. It
    turns out that Server NT 4.0 is not supported at all on this system. (not
    surprising really considering the age of NT 4.0)

    After some research on the DellTalk forums, I did find some drivers that do
    work, and did install Server NT 4.0 on one of my 600SC's successfully, but
    it is not officially supported by Dell for that server.

    Timothy Drouillard, Jan 4, 2004
  5. use a 'magic packet' to remotely turn on the system, this is what i do to my
    basic 400sc home server, as it is all the way down in the basement ;-)
    update your bios maybe also, but download magic packet, then send it the
    command, you may have to config your lan card to accept magic packet as the
    way to wake it! - but works brilliantly!!!! - every time without fail from
    it being completely turned off, the lan card lies dormant in a deep sleep
    with a red light at the back of it, it then kicks it into life!

    HTH

    url:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/magic_pkt.exe

    Louis

    Louis De Pointe Du Lac, Jan 4, 2004
  6. When I unplug, then reconnect, the mains cord on any of the dozen-or-so PE600SC at my
    client various client sites, they power on immediately. Sounds like a reasonable
    workaround to me.

    Best regards,

    Tim ==
    (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')

    Visit the Surrender Dorothy web !! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
    Visit the Crunch Monkey web !! (http://crunchmonkey.com)

    Timothy J. Trace, Jan 5, 2004