    But if the center pin is positive, I have some generic ones that should
    work without modification (19v, 3.5A). So does anybody know for sure?
    TIA

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2010

  2. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Christopher Muto typed on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:53:44 -0400:
    Yes exactly! Nope, I don't have the part number as I don't have the
    laptop or the power adapter.

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2010

  3. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Christopher Muto typed on Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:23:51 -0400:
    I had her read the power adapter the other day and she read off 19.5v @
    3.4?amps. So that would be the 65 watt pa-12 one I guess. And that makes
    sense since all of the laptops I have worked on with Celeron single core
    CPU virtually all are 65 watt supplies. And I worked on hers a few
    months ago and I remember it was a single core Celeron. Dual core or AMD
    processor laptops are almost always 90 watts or greater.

    Sure hope you are right about the center is positive. I hate to give her
    a supply and it is reversed in polarity. As that is likely to make the
    motherboard worthless. And thanks for all of your help.

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2010
  4. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In Christopher Muto typed:
    Thanks will do!

    BillW50, Apr 16, 2010
  5. BillW50

    John Novicki Guest

    AFAIK, the center pin is the serial data link, and only know that from trial
    and error. (The pin broke on one of mine, and while it still works, it
    complains at POST and won't charge the battery as stated above. Using the
    picture that Chris provided, I would assume this means the inner ring is
    positive, and the outer ring is negative.

    John Novicki, Apr 19, 2010
  6. Hi!
    Well, I finally turned it over again and had another look. Mine
    definitely doesn't have a polarity marking on it. (It does have the
    mess of regulatory text however!)

    Thanks for the scan. I'm sure the OP found it helpful as well.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Apr 20, 2010
  7. BillW50

    ps56k Guest

    btw - my Latitude C-610 has 3 pins - but 3 tiny flat blades vs round
    "pins" -

    SO - you might check if it the laptop is - C version or the D version.

    Our family has gone thru a couple of PA-6 power bricks for these Dell
    C-610's.
    When using on your lap - sitting in the family room -
    as the line filter tends to bend the power cord down at the laptop connector
    and over time - breaks the wires inside.
    I've carefully soldered them and super glued them stiffer... for awhile.

    BTW - I noticed that the 90w version power brick caused some switching
    spikes on the TV,
    but the 65w power brick didn't -
    Must be the difference between switching vs brute force ferrous.

    ps56k, Apr 23, 2010