    Charlie
    Charliec
    NOTE: Remove "XXX" to respond via Email

    Charliec, Feb 3, 2004

  2. That's strange, my 8300 hard drive cable has an extra plug for 2nd drive
    (and extra drive rails clipped inside for mounting drives). I used that
    to check if another drive was okay after a homebuilt PC blew a power
    supply (drive worked). If cable plugs are marked 1 and 2, drives should
    be jumpered cable select rather than master/slave.

    I imagine if you have CD or DVD, that might have an extra plug that
    would work.

    David Efflandt, Feb 4, 2004

  3. depends on what drive it is - if it's IDE then the ribbon connector should
    have another plug half way down.
    if it's Serial ATA then you need another serial ata cable to plug into the
    motherboard- right next to where the first plugs in.

    note that even if you have serial ATA you can buy an IDE ribbon cable to
    connect to the motherboards IDE connector - although it won't be as fast
    probably as a SATA drive.

    the dog from that film you saw, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Charliec

    Gus Guest

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8300/sm/drives.htm

    Gus, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Charliec

    Ken Savage Guest

    What ? Shouldn't you be able to have up to four IDE devices AND up to two
    SATA devices ? Assuming enough power & places to mount them. I've added
    a SATA hard drive to my 8300 so it now has both the original IDE hard drive AND
    the SATA hard drive along with two DVD drives. I haven't gotten around to
    reloading windoze on it yet and making it the boot drive, but everything works
    fine.

    Ken

    Ken Savage, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Charliec

    Ray Guest

    Have you considered the advantages to adding an external drive?? Secure
    backup, portability, etc.?

    Ray, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the long note, but I'm still having a heck
    of a time getting the 2nd drive added. The drive I'm trying to add is a
    40GB WDC drive I had in my old system. It has, I guess what you call an 80
    pin cable (the cable connector has 39 pins with one blank pin slot in the
    middle. I'm using the same cable that I had in my old system (80 pin
    cable).

    Here's the situation on the new system. It had 3 IDE drive connectors
    listed in the BIOS as follows:

    SATA Primary Drive - Harddrive attached (a 34/78 pin connector with the
    second pin from the right blank)
    SATA Secondary Drive - OFF

    Primary Master Drive - OFF (has a 40 pin connector with one blank pin slot
    in the middle)
    Primary Slave Drive - OFF

    Secondary Master Drive - CD-ROM attached
    Secondary Slave Drive - CD-ROM attached

    I attached the 2nd harddrive to the Primary Master Drive with the 40 pin
    cable. I have the drive set to Cable Select. I attached power to the
    drive. On bootup, I go into the BIOS and switch the Primary Master Drive
    from "OFF" to "AUTO" assuming it would detect the drive. It does not and I
    get "Unknown device" listed in the BIOS.

    So, can any outline what I am doing wrong here. I cannot attach th drive
    as the SATA Secondary Drive as it requires the 40/80 pin connector vs. the
    34/78 pin connector on the 1st drive.

    Thanks for any tips/suggestions (and again, sorry for the long note)

    Charliec, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Good idea, I'm going to look into that.

    Charliec, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Ok, folks,
    I saw this in the document referenced below:

    "NOTE: Install only IDE hard drives or serial ATA hard drives in your
    computer. You cannot install both types of drives."

    I must have missed that statement in the manual. I was attempting to
    install an IDE along side an ATA and apparently that cannot be done.

    Sorry for running you all around in circles. I'll try reading more
    carefully next time!

    Charliec, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Charliec

    Rod Hargis Guest

    I have to disagree on this, In My 8300 I purchased in Dec 2003 I have 1
    SATA 120mb drive and have added an additional 120MB ide and 60 mb ide drive
    to the system and it works perfectly.

    Rod

    Rod Hargis, Feb 5, 2004