    used. I have change the drive letters on the DVD & CD drives so this can't
    be the problem. I would appreciate any help on this problem.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005

  2. david

    S.Lewis Guest

    There are (2) hidden partitions on your 8400 from the factory; one is approx
    40mb (utility partition) which contains diags and the OS boot record. The
    other (ranges from 3.5 to 4.6gb) is a hidden duplicate restore image of your
    OS, software and drivers as the machine was configured out of the box.

    What you want to do from here is up to you. In effect, you already have a
    backup partition minus any created data or added apps.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 26, 2005

  3. david

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Some friendly advice: You want to read a lot about disk partitioning in
    general and particularly the documentation that comes with Partition Magic.
    This is not software that you want to use without knowing exactly what you
    need to do.

    If your hard disk has only one partition - C: - you'll need to shrink the
    size of that partition in order to create unpartitioned space.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Jan 26, 2005
  4. david

    Brian K Guest

    What are the present partition sizes (in order) and what do you want the
    final result to be? I'll try and make it easy.

    Brian

    Brian K, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Let me echo and reinforce Ted's words. I've been using PM since
    DOS days, and if I haven't used it during the last year, I
    *always* scan through the manual before going forward, even if
    I'm "sure" that I'm doing such a simple change that it shouldn't
    be necessary.

    In your case, had you done so, you would have known what to look
    for in the initial screens, before you embarked on doing an
    operation, either via one of the wizards, or through menu
    control, and seen those two "hidden" partition Stew told you
    about in his response to your post.

    I may not RTFM on the latest MS Word version, or whatever, but I
    never fail to read the PM manual if, as I said above, I haven't
    used it in quite a while.
    That, too. Between the two "hidden" partitions and the factory
    set C: primary partition/drive, your HD hasn't any free space to
    create a new partition from.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 26, 2005
  6. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Stew for the quick response. I did see the two hidden partitions
    on my "C" drive. One at 47mb and the other at 3.5gb, but don't know about
    the backup partition?
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  7. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Ted Zieglar for the response and advice. I read through the
    PartitionMagic Quick start guide that came with the program, but it didn't
    say anything about having to shrink the existing drive before using the
    wizard. I also read the user guide which also didn't elaborate upon having
    to shrink the existing "C" drive partition magic before using the wizard. I
    did though think I had to, but wanted to get advice from this newsgroup
    before using it..
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  8. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Ogden Johnson III for you help and advice. Like I
    stated to Ted I did read the quick start guide and the user manual
    but didn't find any mention of having to shrink the existing "C" drive
    to accommodate using the "create a backup partition wizard". Like
    I also stated to Ted I thought this was the case but wanted to check
    the newsgroup before doing anything wrong.
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  9. david

    david Guest

    Thanks Brian for the help. Here are the present partition sizes:
    DELLUTILITY{*:} FAT 47.0MB 7.3Used
    MB 39.7 Unused MB Status None Primary
    Local Disk {C:} NTFS 234778.7MB 10075.4
    UsedMB 224702.7 Unused MB Status Active
    Primary
    Local Disk [*:] CP/M Conc... 3584.8 Used MB
    0.0 Unused MB Status None Primary
    [*] Unallocated 7.8MB 0.0 Used MB 0.0
    Unused MB Status None Primary
    What I am trying to do is create a backup drive so I can backup some of my
    important programs in case of a disk failure and I have to reinstall
    windows. This way I can save them from being deleted on the reinstall. I
    will also have a CD backup of them . On my old computer I had two drives and
    used the second one for this and it saved me a couple of times.
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  10. david

    Brian K Guest

    First up David, we have to reduce the number of Primary Partitions to 3 so
    we can create a new one and have 4 again (the new data partition).

    Right click on the CP/M rectangle (top of PM screen) and left click
    Resize/Move. You should see 7.8 MB in the "Free Space After" box. Change
    this to 0 (zero) and click OK. You should now have 3 Primary Partitions. If
    so, click Apply. If you are uncertain, don't click Apply and nothing will be
    changed.

    Report back when you have done the above.

    I did it differently, so I don't have your partitions to look at. I deleted
    both the backup and diagnostic partitions.

    Brian

    Brian K, Jan 26, 2005
  11. david

    Tom Scales Guest

    No offense, but this is a BAD idea.

    If you create this as your backup partition and the drive fails, ALL the
    paritions fail. You'll lose your primary AND you backup.

    Get a cheap external USB2 drive and backup to that. Even better, keep it
    outside your house when not backing up.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 26, 2005
  12. david

    Brian K Guest

    On second thought, if you can't absorb the 7.8 MB into the CP/M partition,
    do this. Right click on the CP/M rectangle (top of PM screen) and left click
    Resize/Move. You should see 7.8 MB in the "Free Space After" box. Change
    this to 0 (zero) and type 7.8 MB in the Free Space Before box and click OK.
    Right click the C: rectangle, left click Resize/Move. You should see 7.8

    Brian K, Jan 26, 2005
  13. Ogden,
    I used MP to partition an external usb hard drive. It was rather
    straight forward. There wasn't any need to shrink the drive, MP handled
    it all.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jan 26, 2005
  14. david

    dg1261 Guest

    Tom: I don't necessarily agree that it's such a "BAD idea". What you say
    is true and advice David should consider, but compare it to what he's got
    now--a single HD with a hidden restore partition on the same HD. What he
    wants to do is not any worse.

    I don't see where David indicated what kind of backup he's contemplating
    (Data? image of entire OS?), but I always keep a backup image of my OS on
    another partition on the same HD. Of course, I also have a copy burned onto
    CD/DVD in case the HD fails, but over 90% of my restores are due to software
    issues rather than hardware failures, so having an image readily at hand is
    convenient. David didn't say whether he intended that would be his sole
    backup.

    David: heed Ted and Ogden's warnings--PM is a great product but not to be
    taken lightly. If you didn't know you had to carve out space from existing
    partitions in order to make a new one, then I'm with Ted: you've got some
    learning to do. It would be nice if you had a surplus HD to play around
    with first to get the hang of PM, but if you insist on diving straight into
    your main HD, at least make sure you have Dell's restore CDs in case you
    accidentally trash Dell's utility or restore partitions.

    dg1261, Jan 26, 2005
  15. david

    david Guest

    Thanks dg1261 for the advice. I was mainly concerned about backing up my
    financial program and maybe some photos. I think your idea of playing
    around
    with another HD first is a great idea. I still have my old computer with
    two HD's
    and will install partition magic on one of them first to get the hang of it.
    Another Question? What backup program do you use to backup to you CD/DVD.
    I have Record Now but it isn't a very good backup. I would like one I can
    back up
    my financial program and others and it would copy over and add to the
    existing backup.
    I have to erase the CD now before I can add the new backup. Also backing up
    the
    OS on CD is a good idea, but I don't think possible with my backup program.
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  16. david

    david Guest

    I did Right click on the CP/M Conc... rectangle but the resize/move option
    was grayed out? If I right clicked NTFS the resize/move item was available
    Also Brian what are the extra three existing partitions I now have for. I
    know that the NTFS is my main system but what do the other three do?
    david

    david, Jan 26, 2005
  17. david

    Brian K Guest

    The first is the Dell diagnostics partition. Not really necessary as
    diagnostics can be run from the Dell CD. The CP/M partition is an image
    backup of the C: drive which can be used to restore your computer to the
    state when you received it. I use Norton Ghost 9 for imaging so I didn't
    need to keep this partition. The Unallocated space is just a leftover from
    partitioning.

    I just did some testing and Unallocated Space doesn't count as one of your 4
    Primary partitions so you can do this.

    Right click on the WinXP rectangle (top of PM screen) and click Resize/Move.
    In the "Free Space After" box type the MB amount of your proposed new
    partition, eg 120,000 MB. Click OK.In the unallocated space rectangle just
    created, right click and click Create. Create as...Logical Partition.
    Partition Type...NTFS. Label..Data (or whatever). Leave the rest as is.
    Click OK. Click Apply. (Nothing happens to your computer until you click
    Apply). You will be told of the reboot etc. Let it do it's thing and don't
    touch anything until it has rebooted back to your desktop. The whole process
    may take over 10 minutes.

    Let me know if anything is unclear.

    Brian

    Brian K, Jan 27, 2005
  18. david

    david Guest

    Followed your instructions. Right clicked on the WinXP rectangle which I
    took to mean the Local Disk [C]. After completing the steps I ended up with
    a new Data [D] NTFS partition but also an [8] Extended partition with the
    same Size MB. Is this normal? I haven't as yet clicked apply so I can
    still cancel.
    david

    david, Jan 27, 2005
  19. david

    Brian K Guest

    That's correct David. The logical partition is inside the Extended
    partition. In fact you can have as many logical drives within that Extended
    partition as you have drive letters remaining. The Extended partition counts
    as only one primary partition even though it may contain 1 to 10 logical
    partitions. But at present you only need one. You are ready to click Apply.

    Brian

    Brian K, Jan 27, 2005
  20. david

    david Guest

    Thank you Brian for the advice and help. One more question? If for some
    reason the WinXP "C" drive crashes and I have to reinstall WinXP will the
    new "D" drive partition still be intact with the copied folders? Also when
    I copy the financial folders to the new partition is there a certain way of
    doing this?
    Thanks again.
    david

    david, Jan 27, 2005