    allow it to rebuild from drive 2) of a mirrored RAID set with this
    controller?

    Thanks

    NoDownTime, Apr 4, 2006

  2. NoDownTime

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're going to need to enter the Intel RAID BIOS at boot (CTL+I). Read
    here about rebuilding the array. Perhaps it will help:

    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-021015.htm

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 4, 2006

  3. NoDownTime

    NoDownTime Guest

    S. Lewis

    Thanks .. it looks as though you actually have to reinstall the OS on
    the new drive. What a PITA; the RAID controllers I've been using just
    handle it.

    At any rate, thanks for your help -- I had tried to find some info on
    the Intel site and had not been able to turn up that link.

    Thanks again...

    NDT

    NoDownTime, Apr 4, 2006
  4. NoDownTime

    hrdtd Guest

    That doesn't make sense.

    If you have to reinstall the OS on the new drive, then what's the point of
    useing RAID 0.?

    The whole point of RAID 0 is that you are writing everything simutaniously
    to both drives, so that if one drive fails, you can still run on the
    remaining drive while you replace the failed drive.

    Now if it were a software-based RAID 0, then you might have to make a minor
    change to the boot.ini file so it looks to the proper drive/partition to
    boot from.

    hrdtd, Apr 5, 2006
  5. NoDownTime

    Notan Guest

    Not quite.

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 5, 2006
  6. NoDownTime

    S.Lewis Guest

    Right. The question here is what is required on the Dim8400 Intel RAID to
    rebuild the new disk. The mirrored disk saved the OP's rear end, but I'm
    not positive that there's any provision that the replacement disk gets
    rebuilt/restored within the array w/o some manual involvement.

    The OP needs to continue reading/googling and even visit the Dell website
    forums and do a search. I plan to do this later when I get time.....

    I actually thought that machine used an integrated Promise controller
    (versus an Intel controller), but I can't find anything to back up that
    belief.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 5, 2006
  7. NoDownTime

    Notan Guest

    To the OP:

    Upon bootup, is anything displayed about the controller (e.g., brand, model #)?

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 5, 2006
  8. NoDownTime

    NoDownTime Guest

    Thanks everyone.

    No, it is the Intel. In my experience with Promise controllers, this
    would be a non-problem.

    With both drives in the machine, it will not boot at all, giving me a
    STOP 0x7e on iastor.sys (the Intel driver).

    I can boot with just the one [old, bootable] drive, and it seems to
    load IASTOR.sys just fine (and device manager indicates the driver is
    okay). It is as though, at boot time, it is looking on the new (blank)
    drive for iastor.sys, not finding it, then giving me the STOP 7e.

    NoDownTime, Apr 5, 2006
  9. NoDownTime

    S.Lewis Guest

    Have you performed any changes in the RAID BIOS itself since the new disk
    was added? Does the RB not show the array to be "degraded" or "failed"? I
    guess I'm wondering what the status of the array is currently as shown in
    the RAID BIOS. Also, I wonder if the system BIOS hard disk settings are
    where they need to be w/regard to RAID settings.

    I'm asking out of curiousity, as I surely don't want you to hose your
    remaining disk......

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 5, 2006
  10. NoDownTime

    Tom Scales Guest

    Have you tried using something like Ghost or even the drive manufacturer's
    software to clone the drive to the new drive. Then they'd match at boot.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 5, 2006
  11. NoDownTime

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Apr 5, 2006
  12. is the replacement drive the same capacity as the working drive?

    Christopher Muto, Apr 5, 2006
  13. NoDownTime

    NoDownTime Guest

    No, I've avoided making any changes to the RAID BIOS. It seems every
    possible change threatens to destroy the data, so I've just stayed out
    of it.

    It does show that it is "degraded" when both drives are in the machine.
    Prior to replacing the defective drive, it showed the drive as
    "FAILED". It indicates a REBUILD is called for ...

    NoDownTime, Apr 5, 2006
  14. NoDownTime

    NoDownTime Guest

    Thanks for the link to that document.

    I haven't tried Ghost or anything like that. The new drive is bigger
    (200GB vs. 160GB).

    What I did do just now, though, is to delete the new drive from the
    array in the RAID BIOS. Then, I was able to boot into the system in
    safe mode, and start up the utility within Windows.

    It indicates the ARRAY STATUS is "REBUILDING"; but the volume shows 0%
    as though it isn't doing anything. Still, I'm apt to let it run
    overnight just to see what happens. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be
    showing progress, but I suppose I'll know in the morning. I'll let
    everyone know what happens when I know more.

    I really appreciate all the posts in this group; everyone has really
    been helpful.

    NoDownTime, Apr 5, 2006
  15. NoDownTime

    Notan Guest

    I was under the impression that the drives had to be the same size.

    No?

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 5, 2006
  16. NoDownTime

    S.Lewis Guest

    What Chris and Notan said. I've always understood that any RAID array
    *requires* the use of identically spec'd drives (capacity and speed).

    This might be the OPs problem....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 5, 2006
  17. NoDownTime

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, I can't comment on Intel, but Promise does NOT require the drives to
    be the same size. It will just build a mirror of the size of the smaller
    drive.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 5, 2006
  18. NoDownTime

    Fixer Guest

    <snip>

    you have tried the glareingly obvious and set the jumpers right on the new
    disk? the ones underneath not the ones next to the sata cable connector?

    Fixer, Apr 5, 2006
  19. NoDownTime

    Fixer Guest

    He Hasn't gor RAID 0 hes got RAID 1 0 = Stripping and 1 = Mirror what
    the op said was disk 0 of a mirrored set which is something totally
    different

    Fixer, Apr 5, 2006
  20. NoDownTime

    Hank Arnold Guest

    ???

    RAID 0 stripes the data across 2 drives. In the event of losing a drive
    *ALL* data is lost.

    With RAID 1, you have two drives, one mirroring the other. If you lose
    one, the other can carry on.....

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Apr 5, 2006