    Does this sound like it would work? Would a VGA connection with analog
    audio out to the TV be better?

    Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    What you're describing will work, but you may have problems with overscan
    (the screen 'overfilling' the TV and the edges of the screen getting cut
    off).

    The Samsungs actually work better with VGA.

    Tom Scales, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Tom, I was hoping you would reply. I've been searching the avsforums but
    too many posts. Some report overscan problems with DVI to HDMI and some
    don't. This is a DLP RP TV set and not an LCD if that matters. Of course
    all the Uber geeks, myself included, want to use our new HDMI/DVI ports.

    I ordered from monoprice last night. But I ordered 50' of Coaxial RCA
    S/PDIF M/M cable to a RCA to toslink adapter to toslink out to A/V receiver.
    But now that I look at my Intel integrated sound, the S/PDIF out connector
    looks more like a 3.5mm jack, similar to my regular stereo PC speaker out.
    Is the Intel integrated sound S/PDIF out connector a Coaxial RCA or a 3.5mm
    stereo type jack? Boys and their Toys.

    Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Pat Conover

    Greg Guest

    HDMI is always better. The VGA is analog too. Go digital.

    Greg, Dec 31, 2006
  5. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    HDMI is not always better. Normally I would agree that a digital signal is
    preferable, but HDMI comes with overscanning issues. Some cards can correct
    for it, some can't.

    Also, there are flat panels that won't run their full resolution through
    HDMI and will through VGA (and panels, like the LG, that are the opposite).

    Try them both and see what looks better to you.

    Tom Scales, Dec 31, 2006
  6. Pat Conover

    Greg Guest

    Really? Didnt know that. I'm basing my opinoin on my Westinghouse 37" LCD
    (1920x1080). I am using a Nvidia 7600GT to power it. I have never had any
    issues with monitors that have DVI in.

    Greg, Jan 1, 2007
  7. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, the Westy works properly too. I have one of them too. LG's don't.

    Tom Scales, Jan 1, 2007
  8. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    The DVI to HDMI cables should be here Wednesday and I'll post back how the
    Samsung likes it. Some posts on the avs forums said no problems and others
    report overscan problems. VGA to the VGA on the TV also works, but I'm
    using my old Trinitron VGA monitor on this machine, so that would be a
    problem. So far the Comcast STB HDMI to HDMI has been working flawlessly.
    Hope I didn't post too soon.

    Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Jan 2, 2007
  9. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    Let us know. You can always use the DVI->VGA converter to drive both with
    VGA.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 2, 2007
  10. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Tom, That's my Plan B. UPS says delivery tomorrow.

    Pat Conover, Jan 2, 2007
  11. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Well I got the cables late yesterday and hooked it up last night. I have a
    1080i @ 60Hz on the TV info screen using the 256MB GeForce 7300 LE DVI to
    HDMI on TV and older v82.xx nVidia driver. Latest driver is like v92.xx or
    something, which I downloaded last night. I used Clone my monitor to TV in
    nView and set it to 1080p with auto in/output selection, but that setting
    never seems to stick and always reverts back to 1080i with component
    connection. The TV is 1080p or so Samsung says. I think the newer drivers
    may help with that. I didn't know if I should use the Clone or Other
    setting, which gives independent control of each monitor. Which one should
    be set as the primary VGA Trinitron or HDTV? I also have a pretty large
    overscan area on the TV with the desktop cut off all around. Damn, maybe
    VGA to VGA is the way to go as Tom suggested.

    The RCA Coax from the integrated sound card (Intel?/Sigmatel?) S/PDIF out to
    a Coax to Optical converter and then an Optical 3-way switch did not work at
    all. The DVD and Comcast STB both do DD5.1 when I use the switch, so I know
    that works okay. It looks like the S/PDIF on the back does not take the
    Coax cable and needs a stereo type plug to Coax adapter. Hmm...don't know
    how I would get DD5.1 using a stereo type plug/adapter though.

    Pat Conover, Jan 5, 2007
  12. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'll leave the sound issues to others (although why do an optical
    conversion, why not just go into the coax in?)

    Your problem is that component will only do 1080i, not 1080p. For 1080p,
    use VGA or DVI->HDMI cable (on the Samsung, I've found VGA to be better, as
    HDMI overscans).

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2007
  13. Pat Conover

    Greg Guest

    You don't happen to know anything about the resolution generated by a DVD
    drive? I have an LG multi drive in my dell E510. Like I said in my previous
    post, I am running an NVIDIA 7600 GT and am using Cyberlink power DVD for my
    mpeg decoder and the Westinghouse lcd TV. Do you know what resolution I
    should be getting? 720P? 1080I? Is there a piece of software that can tell
    me? I am guessing I won't be seeing 1080P since I am still playing regular
    DVD's and not Blue Ray or HD DVDs.

    Greg, Jan 5, 2007
  14. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    As I recall, DVDs are less than 720p.

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2007
  15. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just to confirm that:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

    DVDs are just 720x480, or s-video resolution. Look good on a flat panel
    though. I'm considering an HD DVD or Blu Ray but waiting to see what shakes
    out. Hate to buy the Betamax version.

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2007
  16. Pat Conover

    Greg Guest

    Yeah. That's my problem. I will wait for them to duke it out and see who
    comes out on top. I had a betamax back in the early 80's and still regret
    paying for that thing. Damn you Sony!!!

    Greg, Jan 5, 2007
  17. Pat Conover

    WSZsr Guest

  18. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2007
  19. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Tom replies in line.

    I used a Coax to Optical converter to Optical Switch because I only have
    1-Optical input on my old A/V receiver and my PC (supposedly) has a Coax
    S/PDIF out.
    No component connections at all. I used a DVI from PC direct to HDMI on TV,
    but the settings won't stick for 1080p. Don't know why? VGA may be the way
    to go, but I would prefer this setup, since that's the cabling I bought.

    Pat Conover, Jan 6, 2007
  20. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Don't forget the Time Warner Total HD discs that will have both Blue Ray and
    HD DVD on the same disk. http://tinyurl.com/yc8ea7 The avsforum has a pole
    on both formats with HD DVD winning out so far for better quality and price.

    Pat

    Pat Conover, Jan 6, 2007