    I've noticed HP as has gotten top ratings for a while. I thought HP made
    cheap computers. Has their quality improved? Has Dell quality dropped in
    the last five years?

    Von Fourche, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Von Fourche

    Pen Guest

    I think it's a question of everyone trying to lower their costs.
    Take a look at this infoworld article before you buy an HP.
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/02/18/020218opfoster.html

    Pen, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Leo is on TV. He co-hosts Call For Help on G4TechTV Canada and G4

    Dan Sgambelluri, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    Is call For Help broadcast on G4 in the U.S.? I was checking the
    DirecTivo onscreen two week guide and did not see Call For Help listed on
    G4.

    G4 can go strait to h*ll. They took over a fun and informative
    network - TechTV.

    Von Fourche, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Von Fourche

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    The article referenced in the link above if chock full of inaccuracies.
    While it is true that HP/Compaq computers do not come with a recovery CD,
    there is a utility that allows the user to make a restore CD set from the
    hidden partition on the HDD.
    processors exclusively. If Dell were to start using AMD Athlon 64, Athlon
    X2, and Turion processors in its offerings, it would regain the number one
    spot almost immediately.
    No one wants to buy yesterdays technology, which is what you get with any
    Pentium based system.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Yep, if I recall, it is around 11am but they are not the newest show though

    Dan Sgambelluri, Feb 8, 2006
  7. OK, so that's one point in his favor, what's the problem? My biggest
    crisis was when HP (good computers) and Compaq (awful computers)
    merged. Fortunately, they've been keeping separate product lines,
    though I'm a big fan of Dell lately.

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 8, 2006
  8. Von Fourche

    dannysdailys Guest

    Von Fourchewrote
    What's the deal with Dell and Consumer Reports? When I got my firs
    Unless I'm wrong, and perhaps Comsumer reports doesn't include these
    but White boxes are by far the best as far as consumers go. All th
    major PC surveys show this. It's not a surprise though, white boxe
    come with all your system disks, the local guy that built if for yo
    is just a phone call away. No tons of garbage in the machine, and n
    India to talk to

    It wasn't HP that took on Dell, it was the white boxes. I have man
    computers I have built, all are still in service and none have eve
    broken down. Except for the Antec power supply that literall
    exploded. So much for Antec

    The problems Dell is having are many.

    Strike one: If you call for one of their deals, they automaticall
    try to upsell you with real pressure. They openly admit this, bu
    the consumer doesn't like it

    Strike two: Their quality has taken a serious dive. With pric
    pressures, that they helped to create, I might add; they've cheapene
    their products considerably. Case in point: The place my wife work
    at brought in 6 new Dell PC's. All six of them failed within th
    first month. Today, they're fixed, but do you think her busines
    will ever buy them again? Not on your life

    Strike three: Then you take a look at Dell's technology. Dell onl
    uses Intel processors and for a while, it probably seemed like a goo
    idea. But, Intel now has it's own major problems and no one wants t
    buy obsolete technology. Their newest dual core is a joke, at best.
    Intel being so far behind the curve, has put Dell behind that ver
    same curve. Dell should know better then to only use one supplier
    then burn the bridge to the other. This is just bad busines
    period

    That's three strikes; most folks only get three and you're out

    How Dell plans on fixing this Intel issue is anyone's guess. I'm sur
    AMD is in no hurry to talk to Michael Dell. I know I wouldn't be..

    One thing is certain; no matter how things change, they stay the same
    Dell and Intel, once the invincible, prove once again that nothing o
    no one is

    AOL is another good example. They must be full of kids fresh out o
    school to try the email postage game. The postage issue was hashe
    out 15 years ago. Apparently, no one sent them the memo. That on
    mistake, if really implemented, could take out the entire company.
    No one is invincible when stupid ideas become gospel

    It should be interesting to see how this all plays out. It's going t
    be fun watching all three of them this year

    dannysdailys, Feb 8, 2006
  9. Von Fourche

    John and Pat Guest

    John and Pat, Feb 9, 2006
  10. PC Magazine's and PC World's reader surveys show the same
    pattern. Dell used to be tops 5 or 6 years ago, but they've slipped
    in recent years. One major cause has been only fair tech support
    and clueless customer support reps. Much of this is due to foreign
    outsourcing, but even U.S.-based outsourcing isn't any better. I've
    heard from industry sources that there is a big push inside Dell Inc.
    to improve the customer satisfaction ratings, but Dell has largely
    become a virtual company run by a website, and talking with
    anyone who has a clue is impossible. "Have you tried our Chat
    Line?"

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Von Fourche

    Notan Guest

    What is "U.S.-based outsourcing?"

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 9, 2006
  12. "Notan" asked:

    "Domestic outsourcing" for the purposes of this discussion.
    The rep you speak to with the American English accent may
    not be a direct employee of Dell. He/she can work for a
    domestic U.S.-based company that contracts with Dell to do
    Dell's customer servicing. The outsourcing company can hire
    students and housewives without providing Dell's benefit
    package and thus can cost Dell less than a Dell department.
    The student or housewife can depend on parent's and/or
    spouse's and/or school's health packages, for instance.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 9, 2006
  13. Von Fourche

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I have to disagree with that part of your statement. I've dealt with US
    based support for two of our Dell servers. One has Gold Support the other,
    Standard. In several calls, the level of expertise was high. Gold support is
    outstanding.

    Hank Arnold, Feb 10, 2006
  14. I think you forget to mention that your support was for business systems,
    as in "two of our Dell servers". The support for home systems is what's
    generating all the low customer satisfaction scores.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 10, 2006
  15. DellBOt ALERT!!!

    Administrator, Feb 10, 2006
  16. Von Fourche

    Notan Guest

    Are you going to be an asshole for the rest of your life?

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 10, 2006
  17. I don't know! I might become a member of the DellBot organization
    someday when I get old if the membership dues are not too steep. It will
    give me a purpose in life in case I get bored too.

    Administrator, Feb 10, 2006
  18. More of your name calling.
    As usual you contribute NOTHING at all.
    How typical for you.