Dell C610 Second Display does not work after closing lid in multi-monitor mode under windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by aleem.sidi, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. aleem.sidi

    aleem.sidi Guest

    Hello:

    I have a Dell Latitude C610 with windows XP service pack 2 installed.

    I have the following problem with the multimonitor feature:

    Here is what works:
    1. It works fine after booting up for the first time. i.e. I can
    connect a second monitor, and extend my desktop to it (through the
    standard windows display settings).
    2. I can subsequently disconnect and reconnect the second monitor and
    this causes no problems. Even if the computer goes on standby and the
    lid has not yet been closed, I can resume from the standby in single or
    multi- monitor mode with no problems.

    Here is what does not work:
    The problem I have occurs after I close my laptop lid for the first
    time. When i close the lid, the laptop goes in standby mode. Then
    when I re-open it, windows makes the primary display the external
    monitor, and makes my laptop the secondary monitor. Sometimes, it does
    not even turn on my laptop monitor.

    Is there a way to force windows to re-recognise the laptop display as
    the primary monitor?

    I have tried the Fn-F8 key combination to no success. I have also
    tried changing the bios settings for the default display device.

    In windows, the option to "set this device as your primary monitor" is
    greyed out.

    I have no idea how to go ahead.

    If someone has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it, then any
    help would be greatly appreciated.

    cheers

    rocket.

    aleem.sidi, Jan 16, 2006

  2. aleem.sidi

    Quaoar Guest

    Standby causes problems with losing devices, etc, on some notebooks as
    you have found. You could change the lid closing action from standby to
    hibernate which causes fewer problems. The settings are in the Power
    Options control panel.

    Quaoar, Jan 16, 2006

  3. aleem.sidi

    aleem.sidi Guest

    Thanks for your help:

    However, after using hibernate instead, on resuming from hibernate, I
    still have the same problem.

    The problem is really related to the closing of the lid, rather than
    the standby feature.

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks again

    Aleem.

    aleem.sidi, Jan 17, 2006
  4. My Latitude D610 does the same kind of thing, and I have it set to do
    nothing when I close the lid (other than turn off the LCD). In fact,
    plugging in a D-Bay hard drive with a password is a sure-fire way to
    force a reboot, as the password routine in the BIOS forces you to type
    on the keyboard, and opening the display to get to the keyboard and
    then closing it disables the external display.

    I suspect it's a BIOS problem, and if it's anything like the D600 Bios
    problem with DBay batteries, they'll never fix it, so it's not even
    worth trying to point it out to them.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 17, 2006
  5. What happens if you put the machine into standby and *then* close the lid?

    The Electric Fan Club, Jan 17, 2006
  6. aleem.sidi

    aleem.sidi Guest

    To Electric Fan Club:

    I just tried the test that you suggested:

    Putting the laptop in standby before closing the lid works fine. It
    re-recognises my external display with no problems.

    However, I have only tested this with the external display connected to
    my s-video output (i.e. my television set). I will test it with the
    vga-output and get back to you.

    If this works, then it looks like you know what is causing the problem.
    Could you give me any additional info on fixing it so that it works
    whether or not I close my laptop before/after standby?

    thanks
    aleem.

    aleem.sidi, Jan 24, 2006
  7. aleem.sidi

    aleem.sidi Guest

    OK. I confirmed that even using VGA, putting the latpop in standby
    *before* closing the lid seems to fix the problem.

    This tells me that when my lid is almost closed (just before my
    computer goes in standby), windows does some automatic monitor
    switching. I need to disable this

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    aleem.sidi, Jan 25, 2006