Dell Chipset Utility driver - necessary with reinstall of XP?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by chipandernie, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. chipandernie

    chipandernie Guest

    I've just reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP SP2 on a Dell
    Dimension 4700. (What a pain that was removing the hidden Dell partition
    and all their recovery tools I needed a Win 98 bootdisk with the latest DOS
    Format utility for NTFS partitions).

    I started reloading other software and drivers for all the peripherals.
    As soon as I installed this, I had trouble:

    Chip Set: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, Driver,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Multi System, v.6.0.1.1002, A09

    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s
    =dhs&releaseid=R79695&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=104426

    The USB mouse locked and wouldn't move even when booted in safe mode.
    I had to use the keyboard to do a system restore to a point about one hour
    earlier.

    When I checked the troubleshooting part of the readme file for the utility,
    sure enough it mentioned conflicts with USB mouse and keyboard devices.
    I'm assuming "A09" in the utility description refers to the BIOS.
    Therefore, if I upgrade to A10 BIOS, am I correct in thinking I shouldn't
    load this utility upgrade anyway? It says optional on the site.

    If someone has some knowledge of this particular upgrade, please explain
    how it would improve the performance of the computer.

    One other question. Since the OS seems to be running perfectly without it,
    doesn't Windows XP load its own driver or set of compatible drivers for the
    Intel Chipset on the mobo?

    chipandernie, Nov 2, 2006

  2. The generally held convention is that the chipset driver should be
    installed prior to ANY other drivers.

    Did you install other drivers first?

    Alex Flaherty, Nov 2, 2006

  3. chipandernie

    S.Lewis Guest

    Have a look at device manager.

    S.Lewis, Nov 2, 2006
  4. chipandernie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Absolutely 1000% accurate! Install chipset drivers first, IMMEDIATELY after
    installing the operating system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 2, 2006
  5. chipandernie

    chipandernie Guest

    I think I installed the video adapter driver.

    chipandernie, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Wak wak oops.

    Alex Flaherty, Nov 2, 2006
  7. chipandernie

    chipandernie Guest

    If the troubleshooting part of the chipset readme.txt indicates that
    there's a conflict with a USB mouse device, as does Dell's support area,
    does it really make sense to install this particular utility?

    What exactly would this upgrade do that isn't being done by using MS XP SP2
    default drivers?

    chipandernie, Nov 3, 2006
  8. chipandernie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Alex,

    Good question. Windows XP, no matter which service pack, includes only drivers
    for motherboards which existed back when Windows XP was first shipped. In my
    experience, this includes only the early Socket 423 motherboards plus Pentium
    3's, of course, and some AMD-type chipsets. Motherboards with Intel CPUs and
    any one of the 845, 850, 865, 875, or 900-series chipsets do not have drivers on
    the XP CD to support them correctly. The result is that chipsets which depend
    on the motherboard chipset, i.e. ALL of them, are highly likely to work
    incorrectly.

    The so-called default motherboard chipset drivers installed by Windows when it
    cannot find the right drivers is VERY VERY basic, and they do not necessarily
    mesh with the other devices in the system. With XP, MIcrosoft made some
    progress with its dumbed down default motherboard chipset drivers which
    communicate with IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives using virtually any motherboard
    chipset. With earlier versions of Windows, if you somehow did not copy the
    chipset and other device drivers onto the hard drive before installing Windows,
    then your CD-ROM drive would not work, and the only way to install them was via
    floppy, which might not even have the capacity to contain a driver file.

    As a general rule, immediately after installing Windows (ANY version or
    release), go to Control Panel, click the System icon, then look at the list of
    devices in Device Manager. If you see ANY devices with yellow or red markings
    next to them, you need to install device drivers. If you ALWAYS start by
    installing the drivers for the motherboard, you will not mess up the system
    software.

    And that's about it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 3, 2006
  9. chipandernie

    chipandernie Guest

    Very good advice. I'm going to take it and reinstall XP, then
    immediately install the Chipset utility and see if there's no conflict
    with the USB mouse this time.

    One final question - should I install the A10 BIOS upgrade immediately
    after installing Windows XP or after the chipset utility is run.

    In my first message, I noted that the chipset utility has an A09 listed
    in its description. I'm assuming that refers to the BIOS.

    If I had to guess, I should probably run the Intel Chipset utility first:

    chipandernie, Nov 3, 2006
  10. chipandernie

    ant Guest

    wrote:

    thank you people for your replies. i'm in a somewhat similar situation, in
    that i have redone XP, but i still have a PCI device that comes up Yellow
    in device manager, unfortunately there isn't any more information that seems
    to help me narrow it down to what driver i need to reload. any ideas?

    i'm hoping the answer doesn't include "Start over" because it'd bite to
    have to wade through the upgrades i've already done again. or is there any
    way to just redo the devices only?

    thank you for your help,

    ant

    ant, Dec 19, 2006
  11. Windows XP has built-in drivers for SOME chipsets, but it obviously
    doesn't have drivers for chipset that have come out since the XP CDs
    were last updated (which could have been years ago). It's always safest
    to install the latest intel drivers.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 19, 2006
  12. chipandernie

    ant Guest

    right, i'm ok with that, i just don't know how to resolve the PCI driver device
    that is yellow after i've already loaded what drivers i can find that seem to
    apply to the Optiplex 745 machine (by searching the drivers at the Dell support
    site). if i had a better description of the device (other than PCI device) i would
    have an idea what driver to load or reinstall.

    ant

    ant, Dec 19, 2006
  13. chipandernie

    CS Guest

    I ran into a similar problem re-doing an older Dell for a friend. Some
    devices which are integrated into the motherboard chipset are
    difficult to identify. Do a Google search for the following program:

    "Unknown Device Identifier" by Huntersoft

    This will help to identify the unknown PCI device so that you can
    locate a driver for it. The program is free.

    CS, Dec 19, 2006
  14. chipandernie

    ant Guest

    CS wrote:
    thank you, i'll take a look for/at it tomorrow when i get back to working
    on that machine.

    ant

    ant, Dec 19, 2006
  15. chipandernie

    Jay B Guest

    just go to support.dell.com
    enter your service tag
    and go to the downloads for drivers
    and look at the topics, and compare to what you have already installed.
    could be a modem, or sound, or even usb, firewire, network, etc.
    look for missing items from the list of what is already identified and
    installed.
    download the driver, and if there is a setup program in the folder that
    is created, then run it, otherwise,
    just click on the yellow item and say update driver, and point to the
    folder that was specified. in some cases, you can do that before you
    download from dell, and pick the option to automatically search the web
    for the driver. that works half the time.

    Jay B, Dec 19, 2006
  16. chipandernie

    WSZsr Guest

    What Dell system?

    WSZsr, Dec 19, 2006
  17. chipandernie

    WSZsr Guest

    I experienced that same thing with my new XPS 410. Turns out it was not
    available from my system download page. Had to go to the resource CD and
    install the Viiv driver and software. That solved the mystery..

    WSZsr, Dec 19, 2006
  18. chipandernie

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just install the Chipset drivers.That will solve the problem. Odds are you
    won't have to start over.

    Tom Scales, Dec 19, 2006
  19. chipandernie

    ant Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:
    i've already done that one. :) i'll use the utility mentioned
    earlier in the thread and see if that can narrow it down for me.

    thanks for the reply,

    ant

    ant, Dec 19, 2006
  20. It may or may not solve his problem, because the yellow splat that he
    sees in device manager may be from something other than a chipset component.

    But the advice is a good starting point, and I've never had to do a
    reinstall because of installing chipset drivers. It's safe, but it
    won't necessarily solve his issue.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 19, 2006