    K2NNJ1 Guest

    I heard a rumor that you can order any Dell and request no crapware be
    installed. Is there any truth to this?

    K2NNJ1, Dec 26, 2007

  2. K2NNJ1

    S.Lewis Guest

    Get whatever system you want then download and use this:

    http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

    S.Lewis, Dec 26, 2007

  3. K2NNJ1

    Juan Kerr Guest

    A lot of Dell systems in the UK are specifically advertised as being
    "ready-to-go" and the blurb goes on about there being no extraneous
    crap on the system.

    I bought one...........a great system but it still had a load of crap
    on it and needed a reformat and reinstall.

    Juan Kerr, Dec 26, 2007
  4. K2NNJ1

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    There is some truth to it. I have yet to hear of a Dell system that
    had absolutely *no* crapware on it, but some have much less than
    others.

    Were I shopping for a computer, I'd buy the model that I wanted and
    make sure that I got "real" restore discs with it. (Real restore discs
    being ones that install a single product instead of simply restoring a
    disk image that brings the computer to its factory state including
    crapware.) From there, just wipe the disk when you get it and
    reinstall only what you want.

    William

    wm_walsh, Dec 26, 2007
  5. K2NNJ1

    Ben Myers Guest

    A reinstall can be damned time-consuming, and it still does not rid the system
    of ALL the crap. Better to uninstall all the unwanted stuff through the
    Control Panel, then apply all the Windows updates, and install Java JRE. Then
    install and run CCleaner, cleaning up the registry and all useless files, and
    run Windows' Disk Cleaner only to remove all the previous restore points which
    are absolutely useless and occupy up to 1GB of disk space... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 26, 2007
  6. K2NNJ1

    Tony Harding Guest

    What does a reinstall *not* get rid of? (I assume we're discussing
    reinstalling XP from the Dell CD)

    Tony Harding, Dec 27, 2007
  7. K2NNJ1

    Ben Myers Guest

    Even a reinstall leaves behind junk files that have no use, as well as
    completely useless registry entries... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 27, 2007
  8. K2NNJ1

    Kevin Guest

    A clean install from the Windows CD or DVD installs nothing but Windows.
    Assuming we are talking about a Dell supplied disk. There is no "crap"
    included when this is done.

    Kevin, Dec 27, 2007
  9. K2NNJ1

    Ben Myers Guest

    "A clean install from the Windows CD or DVD installs nothing but Windows.
    Assuming we are talking about a Dell supplied disk. There is no "crap"
    included when this is done."

    Close. Start with the Dell supplied CD or DVD, which is essentially straight
    Windows install media with a teeny-tiny Dell curve. ADD the drivers for all
    the hardware in a system, including chipset drivers (which require a reboot),
    video drivers (sometimes a reboot required), audio drivers (same), modem drivers
    (if anyone still uses one) and Ethenet NIC drivers.

    The plain Windows install CD/DVD is not the complete answer. And, oh yeah,
    never do a fresh Windows install without installing the latest Java JRE. With
    Windows XP, you get a browser with no Java, and that sorta breaks a lot of web
    pages these days.

    Some people actually like and use the pre-installed Dell crapware, Sonic's
    Record Now being a good example. Record Now is a little primitive and basic for
    some, and perfectly adequate for others.

    Personally, I place the 1GB (more or less) taken up by many restore points after
    all the Windows updates (nearly 300MB in files after a clean XP SP2 install) in
    the category of a very large load of crap. Bigger than the miscellaneous fluff
    of trialware pre-installed by Dell and others. Certainly the pre-installed
    trial versions of Office 2007 and Norton Whatever are large loads of crap, also.

    The nicest thing about Windows is that there are many ways to accumulate crap,
    starting with the pre-installed factory dreck and continuing on and on with lots
    of other flavors of manure. It never stops... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 27, 2007
  10. K2NNJ1

    K2NNJ1 Guest

    When you install Windows from a Dell supplied CD, as someone mentioned you
    get a clean install of Windows. Device drivers and chipset software are not
    considered "crapware" what you mentioned is necessary to run windows and
    your pc properly.

    When I refer to "crapware" which I took for a CNET TV video, is the
    numerous ISP's and trialware that is pre-loaded at the factory. Until that
    practice ceases I will not purchase another Dell. Unless of course they
    offer me a good discount to re-format and re-install Windows again.

    K2NNJ1, Dec 27, 2007
  11. K2NNJ1

    Jay B Guest

    when you buy from the business devision,
    the only real crapware that ships with current dells is google desktop.
    i quickly and easily remove it and all else is good.
    they've done a good job.

    so buy another brand... you'll be sorry.
    dell still offers the best value for the money, and has the best
    serviceability.

    Jay B, Dec 27, 2007
  12. K2NNJ1

    Ron Hardin Guest

    As I recall, my Vostro 1500 came with exactly 3 icons on the desktop,
    after I checked away everything it would let me check away.

    Ron Hardin, Dec 27, 2007
  13. K2NNJ1

    Ben Myers Guest

    All I'm doing here is simply trading off my time and labor involved cleaning out
    the crapware on a newly delivered system versus a clean install of Windows.
    Honestly, to remove the crapware from a new system takes no more than a few
    minutes, say 15 to 20. (Did it last week for a client's newly delivered
    Thinkpad.) A clean install of Windows plus other absolutely necessary software
    takes 45 min to an hour wall clock time, although nobody is enough of a fool to
    sit there and watch while Windows installs. With the right supporting tools
    (CCleaner & PageFileDefrag), considered essential to the process by yours truly,
    the two approaches end up with the same on-screen icons and within 50 MB of disk
    storage of one another, a small difference in this era of 100+GB hard drives.

    I'll handle a new system my way. You handle it yours. I know how I like to
    spend my time.

    And, by the way, some manufacturers do not provide Windows install CDs and
    driver CDs, or they do so as options at time of order. If you don't have the
    Windows install CDs and driver CDs, you can't do a clean install. DOH!

    And to anyone who thinks that they can avoid the crapware by not buying a Dell,
    forget about it. ALL the name brand manufacturers install the crapware for a
    price paid by the owner of the crapware/trailware/whateverware when a buyer
    convers the trialware to a fully paid license. If you really do not want the
    crapware, build it yourself or buy a white box system from a reputable system
    builder.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 27, 2007
  14. K2NNJ1

    S.Lewis Guest

    The last new Vostro I had indicated some 57 processes upon first boot versus
    the "normal" 65-70 processes I'd normally expect from a new Dell.

    My opinion is that the bloatware shouldn't be a deal breaker in either
    event, as the problem is easily removed and remedied.

    jmo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 27, 2007
  15. K2NNJ1

    S.Lewis Guest

    Then good luck with your life in Nirvana. All OEM mfrs "sell" first
    boot/desktop space to software vendors to increase profit margins and offset
    costs.

    In your scenario, you just need to build your own system to be truly
    "bloatware" free.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 27, 2007
  16. K2NNJ1

    Tony Harding Guest

    Right, I thought you were saying a clean install left malware/junkware
    behind.

    Tony Harding, Dec 28, 2007
  17. K2NNJ1

    Tony Harding Guest

    I set System Restore OFF on all drives when I'm doing an install. Little
    bit less to clean up later.

    Tony Harding, Dec 28, 2007
  18. K2NNJ1

    Tony Harding Guest

    Only if he installs Linux or something else other than Windows. Windows
    is bloatware writ large.

    Tony Harding, Dec 28, 2007
  19. K2NNJ1

    S.Lewis Guest

    While that's true enough (regarding Windows bloat and footprint), he was
    referring to other garbage piled upon the foundational issues. g

    S.Lewis, Dec 29, 2007
  20. K2NNJ1

    Tony Harding Guest

    Of course - I forgot a :)