    resolution of 1400 x 1050. I'd like to use 1024 x 768, but this
    setting always is fuzzy.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

    bradjensmith, Dec 2, 2006

  2. LCDs have fixed pixels. As a result, when you lower the resolution,
    software interpolation occurs.

    If you need larger text, rather than lower the screen resolution
    increase the default font size in the 'Display' applet.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    "When hope is lost . . . the spirit dies."
    -- Lao Tzu

    http://blog.tlerma.com/

    C.Joseph Drayton, Dec 2, 2006

  3. bradjensmith

    bradjensmith Guest

    Thanks for the help. That does help some. The mystery to me though is
    that I have a second D610 where the resolution is set to 1024 x 768 and
    it appears fine without being fuzzy. Can't figure out why one computer
    will do it but the other won't...

    Thanks!

    bradjensmith, Dec 2, 2006
  4. You need to use the fixed native resolution of the LCD panel (apparently
    1400 x 1050). This is a fundamental requirement of all LCD displays
    (not only laptop, but desktop as well). If you set another resolution,
    and if it works (sometimes it won't work at all), it will be distorted
    and fuzzy.

    HOWEVER, Windows has the ability, in the GDI, to scale things "larger"
    so that are bigger (or, for that matter, smaller). You could even
    calculate a ratio of 1024:1400 or 768:1050 and use that as your scale
    factor.

    To access this capability, open the display properties window (right
    click on a blank area of the desktop and click "properties"), then
    Settings / Advanced. The "DPI Setting" controls the size of objects
    displayed by Windows. You can try one of the fixed settings, or you can
    select "custom", which is continuously variable (you get a "stretchable
    ruler" that you can drag in both directions).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 2, 2006
  5. The difference might be in the display setting. You may have
    'ClearType' turned on one and not the other. Also the 'XP' theme has
    some smoothing themes that 'Classic' doesn't'.

    C.Joseph Drayton, Dec 2, 2006
  6. bradjensmith

    Ol' Duffer Guest

    Are you sure they are the exact same model? Many of these
    were available with several different screen options.

    Ol' Duffer, Dec 2, 2006
  7. bradjensmith

    bradjensmith Guest

    Thank you all for the assistance. I'll try the DPI. The other laptop
    is a D610 also, but has a different video card (not the ATI Mobility
    Radeon X300).

    Thanks again!!

    Brad

    bradjensmith, Dec 4, 2006
  8. Dell offers multiple LCD displays in their laptops. For example, the
    E1505 is offered with four different LCD display pannels, of which 3
    have different resolutions. So it's quite possible that two D610's
    could have very different screens.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 4, 2006