    the items.

    What can i do? it is not the BIOS it must be either the Motherboard or
    the CPU fan.

    Andy, May 3, 2006

  2. Are you sure it is not the BIOS? They just updated the BIOS to A004
    for a fan problem...

    Hope this helps,
    Vinnie

    Pat Patterson, May 3, 2006

  3. Andy

    jmbainbridge Guest

    Andy wrote:

    Mine certainly does not do this ... it would be more than irritating!!
    What bios version is it? A04 seems to have just come out and mentions
    "improved fan tables" ???

    JB.

    jmbainbridge, May 3, 2006
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I have updated the BIOS to A04 and has made no difference.
    Dell phoned me yesterday saying that it is normal??? Are they mad???

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  5. Andy

    User N Guest

    You may already know this but the harder the CPU works the hotter it
    gets, the hotter its heatsink gets, the more airflow over that heatsink you
    need to keep it cool. The RPM of the fan moving air over the CPU
    heatsink *should* fluctuate so it produces more noise only when extra
    airflow is needed. Other components in your system also dissipate more
    heat as load increases. GPU fans are usually variable, as are power
    supply fans. So in a sense the Dell rep is correct, however that doesn't
    mean your RPM increases are happening when they should be or your
    fan is producing as little noise as it should be [when it bumps up]. If
    you are questioning one of the latter two things you'll probably have to
    make that very clear to any techs you speak with. If you didn't the
    first time that is.
    I don't know what CPU you have but it probably provides a thermal
    diode output that could be monitored by a MB sensor which could be
    fed into the CPU fan equation. I don't know if your system works that
    way, but if it did, you could add "CPU" to the list above. Perhaps a
    poor thermal connection between the CPU and heatsink should be
    added to the potentials list too.

    This is one of those cases where it would be nice to actually monitor
    CPU temp. I won't hold my breath until someone says that is possible
    on that machine.

    Just throwing out ideas here...

    Have you performed a sanity check and made sure things look ok
    and there is nothing obstructing airflow?

    What is the ambient temp in your room now? Higher than before?

    Is the fan as quiet at idle as it was before?

    If you put even more load on the CPU does the fan RPM increase
    even more? Or is it immediately going full bore in response to even
    the slightest load increase?

    I take it there are no system setup options that could explain this, such
    as an option to select max cooling over quiet operation?

    Task Manager->Performance tab with View->Update Speed on high
    will show you CPU load. It wouldn't hurt to watch that as you try to
    induce the RPM stepping. Opening certain [types of] folders and
    scrolling certain content could conceivably produce significant CPU
    load on even a dual core.

    If for some reason the CPU is actually running hotter than it should be
    perhaps it would be possible to drive it into thermal throttling or even
    thermal shutdown and by doing so prove that. You could do a CPU
    burn for awhile and see if the system craps out. Testing for throttling
    is a bit more involved and I would google on the subject and see
    how others have done it.

    User N, May 4, 2006
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Whe the system is idle, the computer is running at normal speed. BUt
    when i open a folder, or even scroll a page, the fan revs up a little
    and then returns back to normal speed after about 3 seconds. It is most
    probably correct and normal, but what i do not understand is, why has
    it started doing this sfter Dell replaced the motherboard and fan and
    processor? Before that, i never had this problem.

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Can opening a small folder even make the fan rise slightly? or even
    scrolling a page make it higher. I know the CPU usgage goes up, but i
    have never noticed the fan go up until Dell replaced the
    motherboard/Fan/Processor.

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  9. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    This is just wrong. Push Dell. Get them to replace the machine if they
    can't fix it.

    Tom Scales, May 4, 2006
  10. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Second the motion.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2006
  11. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Do you think that it is the motherboard. What i did was i unplugged the
    fan ind carried on. And the computer ran at the normal speed and did
    not raise up at all. When i plugged the fan back in, i done the same
    thing and the fan raised and returned back to normal. New computer do
    not have this problem so why is it happening when they repaired it?

    Dell said to me that they will not allow me to replace the system. When
    they phone again, i will tell them to fix it until the fan stays the
    same speed when opening applications. If not, then i will just take it
    up with the Citizens Advice.

    They need to fix my DVD drive that they broke anyway!!!

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  12. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Very politely demand that the system be exchanged for a NEW replacement
    system, and don't take "no" for an answer. Escalate up to supervisors, etc.
    as needed.

    Make notes.

    If you're delayed on the call or it extends beyond 45 minutes, I'd just
    e-mail Michael Dell's office requesting an exchange:

    Again, be polite and to the point touching on all of the problems the system
    has had and still has.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2006
  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I will give it my best shot. I have tried using Dell CHAT but they will
    not allow to help me because Customer relations is due to call me. I
    will tell them when they phone.

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  14. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good luck and post back. The point here is that a very new machine
    shouldn't behave like this. They've tried their repairs and they haven't
    worked.

    Please send me an identical NEW machine.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2006
  15. Andy

    Andy Guest

    GOOD NEWS!!!

    Customer Relations have contacted me and they are sending an engineer
    round to me on Monday to have a look. I sent an email to michael Dell.
    This had done the trick.

    Ill get the engineer to replace the motherboard anyway and then if the
    fan speed is still there then i will just accept it.
    I will let you know how i got on!!!

    Thank you.

    Andy, May 4, 2006
  16. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Andy,

    At the risk of repeating what Tom said - and a point with which I concur -
    unless you have hyper-sensitive hearing, you should NOT hear a fan roaring
    from simply scrolling or opening of apps/documents etc.

    If this mb doesn't do it, ask the onsite tech to call in for a system
    replacement. Your call/hardware log must read like the dead sea scrolls at
    this point.

    All I'm saying is don't settle for less than you've paid for.

    Good luck.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2006
  17. Andy

    WSZsr Guest

    I would replace the heatsink on the processor and make sure it's contact
    with the processor is good (thermal grease).

    WSZsr, May 4, 2006
  18. Andy

    User N Guest

    I've experienced exactly that behavior on more than a few systems
    during the warmer months, when room temperature is higher. When
    room temp is cool and idle is inaudible, a slight increase is least likely
    to be heard. When room temp is warm and the idle is audible, a slight
    increase is more likely to be heard. That sort of thing. For all I know
    the RPM/temp curves could be nonlinear too.

    What I need to point out is that these boxes, which included a couple
    of Dells, weren't very current boxes or BTX for that matter. Pretty
    much everything would be different, and given your more powerfull
    processor and larger fan in particular, I would expect your fan to be
    less twitchy in response to such simple operations. I guess you could
    be idling right on the edge of a stepping point or something <shrug>.

    I'd also add that I routinely use systems in a very quiet environment
    (late at night, everyone sleeping no tv/radio/etc, very quiet suburban
    neighborhood) and my hearing hasn't been degraded by anything. If
    you fall into that category you appreciate what that means.
    Well I caught you subsequent message about a tech coming out...
    hopefully they will get to the bottom of things. Let us know how
    it turns out.

    User N, May 5, 2006
  19. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    That's not a bad idea. It could be a thermal compound problem.

    The heatsink seating on these new BTX boxes is nearly guaranteed and they're
    even screw-mounted secured.

    But what you're describing would do it. It would also mean that the onsite
    guy was not very ....... attentive.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 5, 2006
  20. Andy