    I was merely alluding to a bad seating of the heatsink itself. Less likely
    the way these are designed, imo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 5, 2006

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I just need somebodys advise again. As the Engineer is calling round
    tomorrow, what do you think the problem is coming from? Is it the
    motherboard? I have a bad feeling that when they come round they will
    say it is normal, or they will replace something then it will be no
    different. What could be the problem? The fan, motherboard, or heatsink?

    Andy, May 7, 2006

  3. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes. Or the CPU itself. This is why I and others in this thread simply
    suggested having the machine replaced.

    Let Dell figure it out while you resolve your problem.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 7, 2006
  4. Andy

    jmbainbridge Guest

    I think you just need to stand your ground. What is happening is not
    normal ... the fan on mine is audible but not intrusive. It never seems
    to speed up, even when playing games.

    Good luck!

    JB.

    jmbainbridge, May 7, 2006
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I have spoke to the engineer ver the phone and said he would be here in
    about an hour. I said to hime what the problem was, and he said that it
    was normal. Are you sure that is is not normal? Even though the fan
    revs up slightly, it is not all that loud when it does.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    The Engineer had just called and he replaced the fan. He said that
    replacing the motherboard, processor, and heatsink will make it no
    different. BUT he did replace the fan and see if it made any
    difference. And guess what - It made NO difference. But as he has
    replaced the fan to see what the problem was, I am now convinced that
    it is normal. He said that when i open applications, the CPU usage
    rises and that makes the fan rises up and returns back to normal. So
    opening a folder will make the processor heat up slightly and also
    makes the fan rise and back to normal.

    Thank you for all of your help everybody. The reason why it is doing
    this is because my computer is quite powerful. When it does rev up, it
    is not all that noticable anyway. You can only hear it when i have
    opened it.

    Thank you All

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I am now having second Thoughts. Because he has replaced the fan, it
    seems to be slightly more louder and still has not solved the fan
    speeding up slightly when a small task is opened like opening a folder.
    Do you think that it is normal that the fan speeds up very slightly. He
    said it speeds up about 100 ??? Something that is measured it fan
    speed!

    I really do not know what to think anymore. I can still hear my
    computer fan raise when in use.

    I have asked dell to give me a system swap, but i doubt they will let
    me.

    WHAT CAN I DO?

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  8. Andy

    Alan Guest

    ..
    I have a 9150. Purchased a couple of months ago and I cannot hear my fan
    when opening folders. Its the same quiet hum for whatever I'm doing.
    You can hear the hard drive but only very slight.
    I'm in Cambridgeshire if you live close and want to have a listen and
    compare.
    ..
    Alan

    Alan, May 8, 2006
  9. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Unfortunaly, i am living in Leicstershire in Market Harborough. I just
    do not understand why this is happening. What could it be that is
    making the speed vary?

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  10. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Just a thought, could you do me a favor? When you open a folder, look
    at Task manager. then click on performance. When you are there, open a
    folder or scroll a page and see roughtly what percentage the CPU usage
    is. If you coyuld tell me what the number is, i may know what may be
    wrong. If it rises up to about 45% when opening a folder, and your fan
    does not rise, then there is a faul with my computer.

    Thank you.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  11. Andy

    Alan Guest

    I've had the CPU up to 7% to 73% and you cannot hear any difference
    doesn't matter what I open.
    Have you tried asking/viewing the Dell Community Forum
    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&cat=all&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=9150+fan
    I'm not technically minded I'm afraid, so have no idea what may be causing
    it.
    I know its irritating, especially the price of them here in the UK.
    ..
    Alan
    ..

    Alan, May 8, 2006
  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I got some good news!

    Dell have finally agreed that i may get a system swap!!!

    I thought thy would never agree to that. I will see how that works and
    i will let you know!

    Thank you.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Just One Question -

    When did you buy your Dimension 9150? What processor and speed do you
    have?

    Sorry to ask so many questions. All these info will help me find the
    information i need.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  14. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Can you tell me when you bought your dimension 9150?

    Also what processor and speed do you have like P4 3.40 or something.

    Sorry i am asking so many questions. All this info could help me figure
    out what is going on.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  15. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Dell had just replied to my email and they said that All dell
    Dimensions now have a NEW feature where the fans run at a variable
    speed when the computer works hard.

    Is this true? If so, then the new motherboard that Dell had replaced
    must have this new feature.

    Andy, May 8, 2006
  16. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    This "feature" has existed for years. Many years.

    Get the system exchanged. This is my last time to say this, and my last
    contribution to this thread.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 8, 2006
  17. Andy

    jmbainbridge Guest

    If you're interested I have a 9150 (3ghz P4) bought mid Feb in the UK.
    Always the same fan note on mine. Recent bios upgrade to A04 has made
    no difference.

    JB.

    jmbainbridge, May 8, 2006
  18. Andy

    WSZsr Guest

    Exchange it before it is too late or continue to ask questions to the point
    it is too late to exchange it.

    WSZsr, May 8, 2006
  19. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Noisy fan on Dell 8400
    http://tinyurl.com/od8xd

    Dell seems unable to fix the "intolerable" whistling noise in my
    Dimension 8400
    http://tinyurl.com/nsx7x

    XPS Gen 4 Fan Whines
    http://tinyurl.com/dcfws

    Curious, May 9, 2006
  20. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I have now agreed that i will go ahead with a system swap. I will
    recieve the new computer in about 10 days. I will let you know how the
    new one is getting on.

    Thank you for ALL of your help everybody.

    Andy, May 9, 2006