  1. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Pray like hell and keep your fingers crossed.

    Curious, May 10, 2006

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    HI all.

    I have just recieved my new computer!!!

    I do not know what to say! I could say that the problem still consists,
    BUT it is not the fan this time. I unplugged the fan and i can still
    hear something. BUt this time it revs DOWN. That is what it sounds like
    anyway. It must be normal. It was a brand new computer. BUt i have
    found that it does it when thew CPU Usage rises. Another thing is that
    when i right click a folder, the menu appears. The something revs down
    and the CPU usage is 100%!!! It does not change until i do something.
    What is going on? Shall i just accept it as it is?

    Andy, May 19, 2006

  3. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    (no sarcasm)

    It's you, dude. You should be a sonar operator on a U.S. boomer somewhere.

    You apparently have very sharp and sensitive hearing (not unlike some who
    have the same with vision/monitor issues). While I can see that as a huge
    blessing in most cases, I can also see where it would be a curse in this
    case.

    If you think you'll obsess about what seems to be the normal system activity
    noise, you're going to be miserable so get a refund.

    If it's not the fans, then it's likely the drives spinning up. Any machine
    you buy will likely emit the same vibrations/noise.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 19, 2006
  4. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Have you never heard of "100% cpu usage" noise??!!

    Curious, May 19, 2006
  5. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), Performance tab. If "CPU Usage" is
    100%, I would return the system if I were you.

    Curious, May 19, 2006
  6. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    What? The hard drive locked in full spin much like grinding coffee? What?

    If I missed the joke, it wouldn't be the first time.

    S.Lewis, May 19, 2006
  7. Andy

    User N Guest

    While it is amusing to think that someone at Dell said "OK, so if he didn't
    like the old one revving up, lets make this one rev down", I doubt that is
    the case. I would think you'd be able to pinpoint the source of the noise
    by putting your ear to external vents and/or sticking your head in the case
    so to speak. A paper towel tube might come in handy, or if you have one,
    a stethoscope. Don't screw up and short something or fry your brain ;-)
    Perhaps what you perceived to be the sound of a fan ramping down is
    actually one ramping up and due to vibrations it just sounds like it is
    running more slowly <shrug>.

    As for the 100% CPU usage during a folder right click menu popup, I have
    reproduced that. Normally I run with the classic interface and some eye
    candy turned off, and I couldn't duplicate it. Then I switched to XP theme
    and set performance for best visuals, and I was able to. Well, intermittently.

    User N, May 19, 2006
  8. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Try this?

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/40356/40356.html

    Why does my Windows XP machine's CPU usage climb to 100 percent when I
    right-click a file or folder within Windows Explorer?

    A. XP contains a known bug that causes the CPU usage to spike to 100
    percent when you access the context menu under certain configurations.

    This bug causes file-copy operations to halt, network connections to
    slow, and streaming media (e.g., audio, video) to become distorted.

    To work around this bug, you need to disable the GUI's transition
    effects by performing the following steps:

    1. Start the Control Panel Display applet.
    2. Select the Appearance tab.
    3. Click Effects, then clear the "Use the following transition
    effect for menus and tooltips" check box.
    4. Click OK to close all dialog boxes.

    Another solution that often works is to left-click the file or folder
    before right-clicking to display the context menu.

    Curious, May 19, 2006
  9. Andy

    Jack Zwick Guest

    Anyone care to bet that this bug will remain in Vista in their haste to
    get it out the door?

    Jack Zwick, May 20, 2006
  10. Andy

    Curious Guest

    It may already have been fixed in winxp/sp2 as I cannot duplicate the
    problem on my winxp/sp2. Note that the article date is 9/30/2003
    while sp2 was released in August, 2004. Hope the op post back with
    his results.

    Curious, May 20, 2006
  11. Andy

    Jack Zwick Guest

    So someone suggesting that SP2 fixed it, was merely guessing, and wrong?

    Jack Zwick, May 20, 2006
  12. Andy

    User N Guest

    User N, May 20, 2006
  13. Andy

    Tim Richards Guest

    Tim Richards, May 20, 2006
  14. Andy

    Curious Guest

    This is a bigger issue than I thought when I read the headline a few
    days ago.

    "tricked the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office into granting
    Microsoft patents"

    "file fraudulent documents with the U.S. government"

    Curious, May 20, 2006
  15. Andy

    Curious Guest

    You talked only about noise, not about the 100% cpu usage.

    If the op can't resolve the 100% cpu usage, I would return the system.

    Curious, May 20, 2006
  16. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    He's got 100% CPU usage on a brand new system. The second system.

    What are the chances of it being the system (again) or a user error.

    S.Lewis, May 20, 2006
  17. Andy

    Curious Guest

    User error on a "brand new" system??!!

    Curious, May 21, 2006
  18. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thank you all for your reply.

    It most probably, is me. The CPU usage does rise upto about 100%. But i
    enabled HT tech and it cut it to 50%this is the only time he fan noise
    gets deeper. I is normal, but it never done this before. It is most
    likely NEW to dell.

    Anyway, i will accept it like it is. I have never heard this before.

    Thank you all!

    Andy, May 23, 2006
  19. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Do you think that this is normal?

    It only varys when the CPU usage rises. I have enabled Hyper Threading
    and this has reduced CPU from 100% to 50% but the fan still revs
    slightly when that rises.

    It may be reving up slighly. I cannot tell. It was a brand new machine
    so it must be normal.

    Andy, May 30, 2006
  20. Andy

    Curious Guest