    Andy Guest

    I asked my local computer shop and they said computers today do vary in
    pitch noise depending on the workload.

    Andy, May 31, 2006

  2. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Andy,

    I'm just curious, at what point will you be satisfied? I just looked and
    this thread is 2 new systems and 28 days long.

    "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 31, 2006

  3. Andy

    Curious Guest

    That's true enough, but not for opening a folder.

    The thresholds for fan speed / cpu temperature may be set too low that
    fan is too sensitive.

    Curious, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    So what do you think?

    Sorry about the confusion.

    When the CPU usage rises, the fan on my Dell Dimension 9150 (BOTTOM
    FAN) rises slightly as well. It can be annoying when i am playing
    slideshows as the fan speeds up when playing them.

    IS this normal? I just need reassuring that it is normal for the fan to
    rise when the CPU usage rises.

    Andy, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Andy

    Notan Guest

    More heat requires more cooling.

    Perfectly normal.

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 12, 2006
  6. Andy

    Curious Guest

    What slideshow program are you using? What's the program's cpu usage?
    Does the fan speed change as soon as you run the program?

    Curious, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    The fact that this thread died, revived, and has been extended is completely
    your fault.

    The man has had a fan, CPU, system board and complete system transplant and
    he's *still*.........*STILL* convinced that he's got athlete's foot.

    aggh.

    ggg

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Andy

    Notan Guest

    I *knew* it would come down to being my fault, you slimey little jizz bucket.

    (They're just *too* good to not use again! <g>)

    How's the kid?

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hey -

    He's neither good nor bad, simply okay - which means moving forward slowly.
    We'll gladly take that.(g)

    Now pardon me whilst I return to surfing pR0n or whatever it is that buckets
    like me are supposed to be doing.

    lol

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 13, 2006
  10. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Not normal for just playing slideshow.
    Just the fact that the OP got a system transplant does not necessarily
    mean the system got fixed. The transplant could very well be recycled
    components from some other customers trouble systems without real fix.

    Curious, Jun 13, 2006
  11. Andy

    Notan Guest

    Ambient room temperature, how long the system's been on, adequate ventilation, etc.

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 13, 2006
  12. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    This is true. Also, a pig might perhaps indeed fly if it fell off of a
    transport truck while on a viaduct and bounced over the railing down onto
    oncoming traffic.

    Entirely possible but unlikely.

    S.Lewis, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Does room temperature shoots up instantly when the slideshow play
    button is pressed?

    Curious, Jun 14, 2006
  14. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Got a couple of hard disk replacements that have the worse problem
    than the original.

    Care to respond to this?

    --------------------------------------
    User error on a "brand new" system??!!
    --------------------------------------

    Curious, Jun 14, 2006
  15. Andy

    Notan Guest

    Maybe I wasn't clear...

    If room temperature is 100 degrees (for example), the system will run hotter (causing
    the fans to run "harder") than if room temperature is 50 degrees.

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 14, 2006
  16. Andy

    Curious Guest

    The OP's question was:

    Curious, Jun 14, 2006
  17. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Certainly possible, especially if they are Maxtors.

    Exact same problem on TWO brand new systems?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!??!

    S.Lewis, Jun 14, 2006
  18. Andy

    Notan Guest

    And my question was, is the room warm, has the laptop been "pushed," etc?

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 15, 2006
  19. Andy

    Curious Guest

    Supposing the laptop has been "pushed". That certainly explains this,
    I am sure:

    "the fan speeds up when playing them"

    Curious, Jun 15, 2006
  20. Andy

    Notan Guest

    Are there other programs running in the background?

    Is the laptop "warmed up," or was it just turned on?

    And, last but not least, are you really Curious or just trying to be an ass?

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 15, 2006