    the hard drive revs up not the fan that cools the motherboard.Is this
    still normal.

    Also, on Dells website, my computer is listed as a Dimension/XPS!!!

    Andy, Jun 20, 2006

  2. Andy

    Jay B Guest

    could they plugged into the wrong connectors? i.e. reversed.
    yes, your unit is very similar to the xps400.

    Jay B, Jun 20, 2006

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi all.

    Thank you for your reply. I have accepted the fan speed now it is
    normal. Thank you all fro you help.

    BUT

    now i have another problem. After a long while. my computer freezes and
    the a large blue error message saying that Windows had to be shut down
    to prevent damage to my computer.

    What is this message? Do i need my hard drive replacing?

    Andy, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    We need to know EXACTLY what the message says. It should refer to a
    specific program that is failing. Could be 100 things.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    I get the feeling............nevermind.

    S.Lewis, Jun 26, 2006
  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I dont know what my computer is up to!

    The error message does not appear now, the computer just freezes all
    the time. I done a few tests on the HARD DRIVE and found that it FAILED
    both tests? Does this mean my Hard drive is dying on me?

    Andy, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    Depending on the program and tests it failed, maybe.

    If it failed Dell's own diagnostics, then absolutely.

    S.Lewis, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I Looked on the internet about this and i found out that is was a
    software problem and i will need to reinstall Windows XP. If i do this,
    i will need to install ALL the drivers and stuff and last time i did
    this, i had so many troubles. Would it be better if i just get it
    replaced.

    I am going to convince Dell to relae the motherboard or i will not
    accept the computer.

    Andy, Jun 27, 2006
  9. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Andrew, I shall now bow out of this thread and any of your subsequent
    posts/threads, as I have nothing constructive left to offer.

    I will say, however, that you take the cake.

    Good luck.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 27, 2006
  10. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I may have another idea.

    If i REPAIR Windows XP with the OS CD supplied from Dell, would this
    work? I could give it a try but i just do not want to make things
    worse!

    At least i have no more problems with the Fan!!!

    Andy, Jun 27, 2006
  11. Andy

    Andy Guest

    FINALLY

    Dell have agreed to Replace the Hard drive,but they said if they send
    me one to fix myself, i would have to install Windows XP again plus all
    the drivers!

    Would Dell be able to install a preloaded hard drive with the Drivers
    already installed?

    Andy, Jun 28, 2006
  12. Andy

    Tom Scales Guest

    No. They don't do that (nor does any other vendor).

    Tom Scales, Jun 28, 2006
  13. Andy

    S.Lewis Guest

    nudge. nudge.

    S.Lewis, Jun 29, 2006
  14. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I have just had my Computer back!!!

    I love it

    BUT.....

    Most of my software is missing that i ordered with my computer!
    How can i get this back? Even the Dell PC restore by symantec is
    missing and i paid for that.

    Shall i just get dell to get an new PREINSTALLED hard drive? I can not
    get ALL the software back.

    I am so unlucky with computers!

    Andy, Jul 4, 2006
  15. Andy

    HDRDTD Guest

    What leads yo to believe that the Dell PC Restore is missing.

    Remember, to access it, you press CTL-F11 while the system is booting.

    HDRDTD, Jul 4, 2006
  16. Andy

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Get Dell to send you the CD's that you need to rebuild the drive. They
    are not going to send you a hard drive like you want.

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 5, 2006
  17. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I have the CDs Dell supply to rebuild my drive, but i need the software
    that came with my PC like Mcafee and AOL etc.

    And the PC restore by symantec, i tried to press CTRL+F11 but the
    computer beeped like normal and then WIndows XP started up. I presssed
    it ebough times. This is not on a CD.

    Andy, Jul 5, 2006