Dell Dimension 2400 - a few questions please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Michael P Gabriel, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. I scraped my shekels together and bought a Dell 2400, for $454.
    including shipping and sales tax. It's a P4/ w 2.4 mghz, 256 mb ram,
    only a 40G hard drive (but I have spares), a cd burner, WIN XP Home,
    no monitor) and tons of software. I probably could have done better
    with another system, but........? I should get it by Feb 1.
    QUESTIONS:
    1:: Audio and AGP Video is built in. Will I be able to disable them
    and add my own PCI graphics and Sound Blaster Live card?

    2: Would it be possible for me to burn a copy of WINXP for my other
    computer? If so, would MS not allow activation?

    3: I have an Optiquest 17" monitor. (second line of Viewsonic). Would
    their be any incompatibility problems? Would burning it after
    activation make a diff?

    Thanks, anxiously awaiting it, as I did a new toy, many, MANY, years
    ago!

    Mike
    ,

    Michael P Gabriel, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Michael P Gabriel

    DaveW Guest

    You will NOT receive an XP CD with the machine. So no you can't install it
    on your other computer.

    DaveW, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Michael P Gabriel

    jamotto Guest

    1.)Yes, you should beable to use your own graphics card and sound card
    the problem is finding where to turn of the built in stuff. It has
    the best chance of being in the BIOS setup, however it may be a set of
    jumpers on the motherboard(could even be undocumented).

    2.)the way you phrased the question it would be illegal. You can not
    have the O/S installed on more than one computer at the same time
    unless you have bought the needed licenses. To answer your question
    though is yes you can make copies of XP. The information is outthere
    if you can find it. Dell however most likly uses CD's that only work
    on their machines though. There also used to be a corporate edition
    that required no activation.

    3.)My understanding is that it only monitor the chipset, video card
    and processor for changes. Microsoft has released some patches that
    changed the monitored equipment so I don't know exactly what is
    monitored now.

    Enjoy the Dell

    jamotto, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Michael P Gabriel