DELL DIMENSION 3000 DVD ROM install sound problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rich31365, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Rich31365

    Rich31365 Guest

    I have a DELL dimension 3000 running XP Home service pack 2 Pentium 4
    3.0 GHz, 1Gig RAM with an NEC 3530A DVD RW drive preinstalled by DELL
    on the first IDE connector.
    When I install a (Known good) ASUS DVD ROM drive on the 2nd connector
    on the IDE cable the disc plays but all sound is distorted. The NEC
    works fine as normal.

    I have tried the following:
    Taken the first connector and plugged onto the DVD ROM works fine
    without the NEC connected at all - so argh you think cable problem -
    no! I changed the cable to an 80 way with the 3 IDE connectors 3rd
    going to mother board as did the 40 way yet still same result NEC RW on
    first connector, ASUS DVD-ROM on the second still distorted sound!

    Any ideas will be welcome

    regards

    Rich31365

    Rich31365, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Rich31365

    Fixer Guest

    Ok make sure the 2nd DVD rom is set to cable select and alsothe sound
    travels down the IDE cable not the normal sound cable so make sure the 2nd
    DVD can support this

    Fixer, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Rich31365

    Tom Scales Guest

    Did you go into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO? It will
    work in OFF mode, but VERY, VERY slowly.

    Tom Scales, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Rich31365

    Rich31365 Guest

    Hi Tom and all

    The problem was in fact fixed by the bios setting to auto hooray next
    step is install of sound card and Graphics if I get bother I'll repost.

    Thanks to all for help

    Rich

    Rich31365, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Rich31365

    Tom Scales Guest

    Rich,

    Glad it worked. Curious why you need to replace the sound though. The
    integrated sound on the 3000 is pretty darn good.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 13, 2005