    Malvin Guest

    Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to use
    the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

    Malvin, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Only if you buy a board from a Dimension 4600. An aftermarket board
    will require major modifications to the wiring, and a new copy of XP.
    The 4700 uses a completely different type of RAM and a different power
    supply.

    Edward J. Neth, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Malvin

    chugga Guest

    didn't do your homework before buying huh? 3000s are lowend trash. dump
    the whole thing and buy a real system.

    chugga, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Malvin

    Malvin Guest

    Yeah, it was the price that got me rushing into things, its too late now.
    Too bad, just have to keep on going forward and not look back. I only
    purchase the machine in Oct 2004 and really haven't used it. The monitor is
    still unopened in the box, and the machine box is collecting dust.

    That's why I wanna find out if I can upgrade the systemboard so that I can
    make more use of it and maybe sell the D3000 systemboard on eBay.

    Malvin, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Malvin

    Malvin Guest

    Right, so long its a 4600 systemboard then I am fine and can still use the
    current D3000 hardware components?

    Do you by any chance know how much I am looking at?

    I spoke with Dell support in UK (that is where I am) and they told me
    nothing is upgradeable on this system.

    Malvin, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Probably because Dell hasn't tested/certified the 4600 MB, or
    likely any MB other than the one specifically designed for it,
    for use in the D3000. If you make the change, you're out of
    spec/warranty, and on your own. Dell ain't gonna have anything
    to do with you if you call for support after you make the change.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Malvin

    Malvin Guest

    Soon long everything works that's fine, I'm not bothered with the tech.
    support warranty, considering everytime I contact the tech. support they
    don't seem to know the answer and always get me to hold the line when ever I
    ask them a question.

    Malvin, Jan 22, 2005
  8. Malvin

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're MUCH better off selling it and buying what you want.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Malvin

    GB Guest

    Hi Malvin

    My advice is to sell the entire PC on ebay. You'll get a reasonable price as
    Dell is a 'known brand'. These are not bad machines for basic office use, so
    there's good demand for them. There were some extraordinary deals on in
    October, so you might sell for as much as you paid for it new.

    Then, buy a system box, motherboard etc and put your own pc together. The
    hassle with modifying the Dell is out of all proportion to the benefit.

    Regards

    Geoff

    GB, Jan 28, 2005
  10. Malvin

    Malvin Guest

    Hiya Geoff,

    Funny you should mentioned this, but thats exactly when I got this Dell,
    back in Oct. 2004 on the extraordinary deal. Since then, its just been
    sitting on my desk collecting dust. Only time I switched it on is when I
    received it and powered up just to make sure everything is working.

    Malvin, Jan 30, 2005
  11. Malvin

    GB Guest

    Computers tend to depreciate quite fast even when unused, so the obvious
    advice is to sell soonest.

    GB, Feb 2, 2005
  12. Malvin

    Ben Myers Guest

    A few years ago when Compaq was still a free company and Compaq sold surplus
    spare parts and used computer inventory to me, I put in a bid on some parts and
    got a call from the Compaq adminstrator for this activity. I was admonished
    that my bid was far too low and my bid did not take into account what Compaq
    paid for the parts originally. My response was simply that computers and
    computer parts as a commodity were like dead fish. On the day when caught, fish
    taste wonderful when eaten. On the next day, not quite as good but still
    palatable. On the third day, fish are suitable for chowder or stew, dishes
    where the taste of the fish was masked by other ingredients. On the fourth day
    after being caught, fish are suitable for garden fertilizer. Needless to day,
    the Compaq bean counter/administrator was not impressed by my analogy, and I did
    not buy the lot of spare parts at the price I wanted to pay. But take heed...

    Computers and computer parts as a commodity keep just about as well as dead
    fish... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 2, 2005
  13. Malvin

    GB Guest

    Getting a bit OT here, but reminds me of my MIL who says:

    Visitors are like fish. After 3 days they stink.

    :)

    GB, Feb 3, 2005