    Can an Ultra DMA/133 be used, and if so, will it merely
    perform as an Ultra DMA/100 or will there be an observable
    performance gain even with the older motherboard?

    Steven Bookman, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Steven Bookman

    HH Guest

    Much more important than 100 vs. 133 is the drive's spindle speed and cache
    size. An ATA 100 7,200 rpm, 8 mb cache drive will generally outperform an
    ATA 133 that is lower rpm and has a smaller cache. In other words, don't
    worry if your board only supports ATA 100.

    HH

    HH, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Appreciate the fast and helpful response. Sill wondering what the
    overall maximum performance parameters which this older motherboard
    can possibly support. I.e. specifically the disk controller component
    of this system.

    Steven Bookman, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Steven Bookman

    S.Lewis Guest

    Says ATA100. I would've guessed 133, and I would've been wrong if I hadn't
    looked:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1103261

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Steven Bookman

    HH Guest

    Hmmmm. I had a 4550, but am not sure what the IDE controller's max transfer
    rate was. If I had to guess, I would say ATA 100. But like I said IMHO the
    ATA figures were 75% marketing hype that had very little bearing on "real
    world" drive performance. Spindle speed and cache size are far more
    important.

    HH

    HH, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Steven Bookman

    Tom Scales Guest

    It is 100, but remember these are burst, not sustained speeds, so 100 vs.
    133 is meaningless. As mentioned, make sure you get a 7200rpm, 8MB cache
    drive. Just picked up a 300GB Seagate for $99.

    Which, although their current model, is just marketed as ATA100.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 6, 2006