    problems using these 3 drives in the Dimension 9200 when connected to a PCI
    Promise Ultra 100 TX2 Controller Card? I don't know much about SATA and how
    it effects IDE drives. Thanks.

    Spiderman, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Spiderman

    Jim Macklin Guest

    It all depends on the space in the case and the power
    supply, an add-in PCI controller card will be just fine.

    | I'm looking to upgrade to the Dimension 9200 in the near
    future. I'd like to
    | port over my current 2 IDE hard drives and IDE DVD Burner.
    Would I have any

    Jim Macklin, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Spiderman

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, you can, although I'm not sure I would. They won't perform at well as
    SATA.

    Tom Scales, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Spiderman

    RnR Guest

    I did just that with the same card but with only 2 ide drives because
    I already had a dvd burner and one sata drive in the 9200. After I
    ported the 2 ide drives to the pci card, I had trouble getting the
    boot sequence to recognize the dvd burner for some reason. It might
    have something to do with the bios but I'm not sure. I can try it
    again during the week and let you know more specifics. After having
    this problem I decided to stay with the sata drives as Tom said for
    the performance factor, sparing a slot and avoiding any more problems.
    You can try it because it won't do any permanent damage but may be a
    disappointment or happy feeling depending on the outcome.

    RnR, Feb 4, 2007
  5. Spiderman

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'd forgotten you had that card. I actually threw one away awhile back.
    Most unreliable card I'd ever had.

    I have the adaptec in my D9200/XPS410 but only with one hard drive and it
    works fine.

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Spiderman

    RnR Guest

    Tom, you reminded me at the time I read your post I noted you had the
    Adaptec and it crossed my mind if the brand had something to do with
    it (dunno why) but I didn't bother to say anything because I wasn't
    willing to buy another card just to find out. I never had a problem
    with the promise card in the older pc's but the 9200 seems to be a
    different animal and I'm happier now that I just went with another
    sata drive so it works out better for me. When I get time, I'll
    experiment with the ide hd tho I expect I'll get the same results. I
    do not want to update the bios since it works for me fine now so if
    the bios is the problem, I won't know.

    RnR, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Spiderman

    Tom Scales Guest

    If I had any other IDE drive than the Seagate 750Gb, I wouldn't have
    bothered. The 750 IDE, though, is very fast -- almost as fast as a SATA
    drive, and I have two, so they're worth keeping.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2007
  8. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    Aren't Promise and Adaptec the same company? Which model # card do you
    have?

    Spiderman, Feb 5, 2007
  9. Spiderman

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know, but the TX2 is a pretty old card. I had one back in 2002.

    As for the Adaptec card, I can't even find it on their site. It was the
    only card at Best Buy (not on their site too).

    Maybe I imagined it.

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2007
  10. Spiderman

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Googled "ide pci card" and got a over a million hits, New
    Egg, CompUSA, TigerDirect, Cyberguys, etc.

    Jim Macklin, Feb 5, 2007
  11. Spiderman

    Tom Scales Guest

    And one of them is the model I own!