    Optical Device
    16X Max DVD+/-RW Combo Drive with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
    (Burn/play DVDs and CDs)

    icek, Jul 10, 2006

  2. icek

    Jay B Guest

    this is an excellent system,
    i always see it on sale in this configuration starting at around $700.
    make sure you catch the sales this week.

    Jay B, Jul 10, 2006

  3. icek

    Pat Conover Guest

    I just got mine on Friday, nice system. I bought mine at the Small Business
    site for $815 including S&H&T, which was much cheaper than the XPS400
    (virtually the same machine) on the Home Site or the Outlet. The only
    problem is you can't order Win XP MCE on the Small Business site, only Home
    or Pro. Dell Home has MCE, but you have to buy an XPS 400 for a lot more
    $$$. You could call and see if you could get that added. Go to the SB site
    and click on Smart Deals, the base is now $729, but includes a 19"
    Ultrasharp LCD.

    Mine was configured with the PD 2.80GHz 820, Win XP Home with installation
    CD (Make sure you get this for $10), 1GB memory included, 17" Ultrasharp,
    256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE (128MB onboard memory and uses up to 128MB
    system memory), 160GB 3GBs Sata HD (Western Digital), 16x DVD dual layer
    burner (Phillips/BenQ which doesn't read RAM disks), Dell AS501 speakers for
    Ultrasharp LCD's (sounds okay and take no desktop space), integrated 7.1
    sound, std mouse and keyboard, no floppy, no modem, no memory card reader,
    no security or other software(McAffee comes preinstalled anyway, with no way
    to stop the install. Ditch it, it's a resource hog with 12 processes
    running), one-year warranty. I would also get the Serial and PS2 PCI
    Adapter for $10 if you need those ports.

    You will spend some time getting rid of all the preloaded Dell crap. Don't
    use the Dell Decrapifier program unless you want to get rid of ALL the Dell
    installed software.

    HTH, Pat

    Pat Conover, Jul 10, 2006