    some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
    advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

    Thanks!

    minnehaha, Jul 31, 2004

  2. minnehaha

    S.Lewis Guest

    Build the same system on the 'small business' site. It might even be less
    than that.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 31, 2004

  3. minnehaha

    Notan Guest

    Have you tried your school's bookstore or computer center?

    Although somewhat limited in selection, there are often some
    great prices to be found.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 31, 2004

  4. You were. Apples and oranges. The $1189 [now shown as $1100 on
    special at $1050] was not the same as the model shown on the
    Home/Home office page. It had the 15" TFT screen vice the 14.1",
    512 MB ram vice 256 MB, etc., etc., etc.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=2231&l=en&s=eep#

    [If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
    you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
    /all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

    When I checked the base model on both, the Educational side was
    offering it at $804 on a $50 off deal on the "norm" of $854.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c=us&cs=2231&id=inspn&l=en&s=eep

    [If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
    you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
    /all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

    Home/Home office was $849 after the same $50-off deal that is
    apparently going on this weekend.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    So your educational side saves you $45 on the base, nothing added
    on/changed, Inspiron 1150.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Make sure you are comparing not only the hardware cost, but the service and
    support/warranty plan as well. Most of the education packages include a
    3-year complete care warranty.

    NEVER buy a notebook computer with less than 3 years of coverage.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 31, 2004
  6. minnehaha

    JLP20 Guest

    Congrats, your education has not been for not. Just because the sign on the
    outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.

    Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything. Maybe you should
    add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson in
    Life 101....

    "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    JLP20, Jul 31, 2004
  7. minnehaha

    minnehaha Guest

    Hi, I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their
    website.
    WOW, REALLY!?!?!!?

    I guess you've never been to college. There are student discounts on just
    about everything.

    Yeah, I'll get right on that.

    minnehaha, Jul 31, 2004
  8. minnehaha

    Mercury Guest

    You do that, while you are at it you might want to retake Troll 101.

    Mercury, Jul 31, 2004
  9. minnehaha

    MK Guest

    Dell is a rip off- Even if you get a 5 year warranty and all. Don't buy
    Dell! they make the worst laptops ever!

    MK, Aug 1, 2004
  10. minnehaha

    MK Guest

    There are some hard core DELL technicians (two or three idiots) in this
    group who will cry and bitch- Screw them! Don't pay any attention to these
    assholes!

    MK, Aug 1, 2004
  11. minnehaha

    Ben Myers Guest

    Far better to pay attention to your dignified and very rationally stated
    commentary... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 1, 2004
  12. minnehaha

    Tom Scales Guest

    Wow, I've seen the light! Dell's such because MK said so!

    My life is complete.

    Tom Scales, Aug 1, 2004
  13. Do they also offer MYOB 101???

    Dazed & Confused, Aug 1, 2004
  14. minnehaha

    Tyler Guest

    Where I live, many of the "Rent to Own" places feature Dell. The people in
    the trailor parks who cannot get credit or will never have enough $$ to buy
    a PC love Dell. You get what you pay for. If you want a quality laptop, pick
    up the IBM Thinkpad series. A big cut above Dell

    Tyler, Aug 1, 2004
  15. minnehaha

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agreed. I have a couple of second-hand 5-year old ThinkPads that keep on
    running and running and running. I also give them good care... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 1, 2004
  16. minnehaha

    Tom Scales Guest

    I love my Thinkpad X40 -- there is nothing else like it and it
    consisentently wins any 'best subnote' test out there.

    But, at a price. Darned expensive compared to Dell.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 1, 2004
  17. minnehaha

    PC Medic Guest

    While you may or may not be right about Dell's laptops (Never had a problem
    with ours), I find it odd that you must make your point by assuming if one
    lives in a trailer they can not get credit. I know plenty of fine people
    that live in trailers. Our family has a 3 bedroom Double-wide we use as a
    cottage home in the Thousand Islands and my brother-in-law has placed his on
    the 165 acres he owns in New York's Adirondack Mtns. I think those that work
    for his company would be quite surprised that he can't get credit!! I know
    my credit is fine. Some just prefer the simple life and there is just as
    much (probably more) trash living in frame homes as there are
    trailers/modulars.
    Maybe it is just the particular trailer park you live in that has this
    problem.

    PC Medic, Aug 1, 2004
  18. Which almost certainly would include not mistakenly comparing an
    upgraded machine at the educational site with the basic machine
    shown at the Home/Home Business site. Apparently you were not
    taught how to do that during your undergraduate studies, so you
    are long past due for the Life 101 make-up class. You should
    "get right on that", lest you suffer outrageous misfortune once
    leaving the Halls of Academia and entering Real Life[TM] - where
    it behooves one to know the difference between apples and
    oranges.

    As noted in my other post, as of yesterday your educational
    discount on that baseline 1150 was $45, 5.3% of the H/HO price of
    $849, or $804 on the educational site. [Prices absent taxes and
    shipping, but including a $50 discount at both sites - weekend or
    end-of-month deal, maybe.]

    Ogden Johnson III, Aug 1, 2004
  19. minnehaha

    Tyler Guest

    Nope, I've never lived in a trailor or trailor park. Can you say "Redneck"?

    Tyler, Aug 1, 2004
  20. minnehaha

    dELLhATER#1 Guest

    why you buyin a crappy dell laptop?! check PC mag (aug 17, 2004). they ar
    not rated very well. 24% needing repairs! yeah, you'd better pay for that
    extra warranty coverage if you buy this shoddy stuff!!

    get an ibm. you won't regret it.

    let the troll cat calls begin...

    dELLhATER#1, Aug 1, 2004