DELL finally has a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by K. Landsworth, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. K. Landsworth, Dec 8, 2006

  2. No, this is no deal. It's a crappy Celeron, it's incapable of running
    Vista with Aero/Glass, and it only has a "combo" drive (reads CDs but
    doesn't write them). And it only has XP Home (e.g. you PAY $40+ for
    crappy Vista Home Basic).

    For $100 more, EVERY major retailer has offered, within the past 60
    days, a Toshiba M115 that had a Centrino Core Duo processor, a video
    system that would run Aero/Glass, and a DVD burner. Plus, the Toshiba
    came with XP Media Center (e.g. you get Vista Premium FREE).

    This is not a good deal. It's a sucker deal. Absolute price isn't
    everything, it's value that we are looking for, not absolute bottom line
    price. The guys who want the $750 coupons were planning and expecting
    to pay $750 to $1,250 .... but for a high end machine, not a piece of junk.

    [And, by the way, earlier this year, in July or August, Dell had this
    same machine (B130) at the same price ($499) with a Pentium M processor
    instead of the crappy Celeron.]

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006

  3. K. Landsworth

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I got the same thing a couple weeks ago but with 1gb from Dell, 15in, dvd writer,
    same price. It was on sale ending Nov 30.

    The bestness seems to peak out around Oct/Nov and then fade, as they move out
    the old crap and then the better old crap is gone, the last two years.

    Ron Hardin, Dec 8, 2006
  4. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Oh geez! You speed freaks! My first computer was a 1MHZ Z80 with 2kb of
    RAM. And any Celeron has plenty of power, even for games, flight
    simulators, etc. My Celeron M 1.5GHZ laptop is a lot faster than my AMD
    1.2GHZ (2002 era) desktop. And this laptop has been operating less than
    10% CPU usage all morning so far. Thus 90% and more of the CPU power is
    doing absolutely nothing.

    In fact, I can't ever remember a time that the CPU ever goes to 100%. Oh
    wait during copying (to the internal HD to an external one) and burning
    (CD/DVD) it does, but I can't think of anything else causes it. Even
    recording from the TV turner card doesn't hit 100% (Still under 30%). So
    why even bother with a better faster processor? I mean really? What's
    the point? Want to heat your house with your computer or what?

    Just buy cheap and often. Don't waste your money on expensive machines
    that are outdated in a year or two anyway. You will be far ahead of the
    game for longer, trust me. <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  5. First, ok, a Celeron is adequate for some (ok, many) users. But not for
    everyone.

    But that misses the point. This is simply not a good deal. The issue
    is overall value of the entire system, not just Celeron vs. Core Duo.
    For $100 more, with the Toshiba models you could get:

    -Core Duo instead of Celeron
    -DVD burner instead of DVD reader only
    -MCE instead of XP Home
    -Video system that will run Aero/Glass vs. one that won't
    -Free printer (after rebate, some retail stores only)

    Let's look a JUST the difference between MCE and XP Home: MCE is
    essentially XP Pro. So it's XP Pro vs. XP Home. How much is that
    worth? ***BUT***, consider this: With XP Home, you could BUY an upgrade
    to crappy Vista Basic for $40; with MCE, you get an upgrade to Vist
    Premium FREE. That difference is worth about $200 by itself.

    And if you EVER want to run Vista (or if the guy you sell this to in 3
    years wants to), the difference in the video systems is huge, because
    this Dell will ***NEVER*** run "real" Vista (meaning Aero/Glass), while
    the Toshiba will.

    All that for $100 more. It's about total, overall value. The processor
    is only part of that equation (although Celeron to Core Duo is a HUGE
    processor difference). And this deal just doesn't cut it.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  6. K. Landsworth

    Tom Scales Guest

    Barry,

    A Combo drive READS DVDs and WRITES CDs.

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2006
  7. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Okay Barry, you made your point. But I was referring to in general. CPUs
    don't make a hill of beans difference to me, nor most people. If you
    want more speed, buy RAM. And if that isn't enough speed for you, buy a
    faster HD. Both is far better for more bang for your buck than shopping
    for faster CPUs anyway.

    DVD burner? Well you should have one anyway. For your second, third,
    etc. it doesn't matter much if you have one on those or not. I have two
    machines here right in my bedroom (one desktop and one laptop) with DVD
    burners and I don't need anymore. Although the other computers in the
    house has them too. All unused except for one by the way.

    MCE vs. Windows XP Home? I suppose if you are new to computers or such,
    this sounds impressive. I fired up MCE on the Dell and I said "Oh geez!
    Another MS Bob!". So why would someone really care about MSE?

    Home vs. Pro? Well I am sure big corporations want the Pro version. But
    I only have maybe 5 computers here running on my home network at any
    given time. And I can't think of a time when I needed the Pro version
    for anything. The Home version runs just fine for me and I bet the
    majority of the home users it does too. Maybe that is why it is called
    the Home Edition you think?

    Aero/Glass? Now what is the deal of system that requires a beefy video
    for? No thanks, I just upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows XP just
    this year. I won't want that for at least another 4 years from now (if
    ever). I'll let you guys be the Ginny pigs first. <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  8. if you are on a tight budget it is a good deal. but i think the $650 deal
    that stew posted earlier is better. for the $150 more you get a faster
    processor (dual core pentium vs celeron), double the memory (1gb vs 512mb),
    double the disk (120gb vs 60gb), a dvd recorder (vs a cd recorder/dvd
    player), and a 128bm ati radeon x1300 video card (vs integrated video that
    uses system memory). but though it may be a small difference in terms of
    dollars ($150) is it a huge difference in terms of percentage (30%). it not
    only offers better performance today but promises to provide a longer useful
    lifecycle. but get what is appropriate for your needs and/or budget. they
    wouldn't offer all these choices if their was only one 'right choice'
    computer for everyone.
    here's the link to the $650 laptop deal again:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=04&kc=65014&oc=BNPCBC4&x=6&y=12
    ps. for all the hair splitting and nit picking that has gone on around here
    lately, let me be clear that i am rounding when i say it is a $150
    difference. technically it is just $143.96 ($643 - $499.04) but since sales
    tax is collected in most areas you can add about another $10 in tax for what
    you have to pay for the more expensive machine.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2006
  9. Correct; but it does not write DVDs, which I consider essential for
    everyone. Not to make "movies", but to backup your data.

    [More correctly, a "combo" drive reads and write CDs and read [only] DVDs]

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  10. Re: "CPUs don't make a hill of beans difference to me"

    Can't argue with you about what matters to you.

    Re: "nor most people"

    There I take issue with you. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it
    matters even to most people for whom it really shouldn't. A Celeron is
    truly inadequate for many people (no need to quibble about how many),
    but even for many of the rest, it's unacceptable even if it shouldn't be.

    And you really clearly don't get my point about Media Center, because
    it's NOT about Media Center, but about the fact that you are BOTH
    getting Pro for the price of Home AND you are going to save almost $200
    when you get the Vista upgrade (which you should do, even if only for
    the day when you go to resell the computer).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  11. K. Landsworth

    RnR Guest

    WRONG. It is a deal for the one who values the item. We can't tell
    him what is and is not important to HIM. For example, say I was
    shopping for a Toyota and they told me that for another $50, you can
    have a sunroof. Probably for most, this is a good buy but suppose I
    said I'll never use it so $50 is not worth it to me. In my case I am
    right but yet for others, probably not. Ok, you mention or someone
    else mentions obsolescence but that again depends on how you use it.
    If you never upgrade software and it fits your needs years from now,
    it's not obsolete.

    Inotherwords we shouldn't tell a willing and able buyer what is or
    isn't a deal. Sure nothing wrong in saying for another $$$ you can
    get xxxxxx but for that buyer, perhaps not worth it.

    Perhaps the mistake (I use this term loosely) is that the buyer asks
    our opinion of the deal but doesn't realize our values are different
    than his/hers.

    Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the item in question but I think any
    new laptop under $500 is worth considering at first. For some the
    additional $150 at that moment, may not be worth the difference in
    potential use. And for some, the difference in money is better saved
    for the next system. Depends on your values and budget.

    RnR, Dec 8, 2006
  12. K. Landsworth

    RnR Guest

    Again, I disagree if you have a PC. Some will want to do their heavy
    work on the pc and consider the laptop for the portability factor not
    workload. Of course not every agrees with me but to say for
    "everyone" I think is wrong !! BTW, you don't have to have a DVD to
    back up data.

    RnR, Dec 8, 2006
  13. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    I like the way you think! ;)

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  14. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    You are so right! My favorite is on external HDs. They are so fast and
    reliable. And no disc swapping! ;)

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  15. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    In my experience, having had Pentium-M's at a variety of speeds, from
    1.3 Ghz up to 2 Ghz, the CPU made quite a difference. Note that was
    through various P-M's with different levels of cache and other
    technologies.

    It depends quite a bit on what you are going to use the laptop for.

    If I were to buy now I would want a Core 2 Duo at the 1.8Ghz or above.
    I would want the 1g RAM to be 1 DIMM, and I would want the faster hard
    drive, now that capacity is up to around 100g.

    journey, Dec 8, 2006
  16. Re: "It is a deal for the one who values the item."

    No it's still not a good deal, because for what you are getting, $499 is
    still too much money. There have been a dozen deals offering laptops
    comparable to that one for $399 and even $299 in the past 6 weeks.

    This is a not-very-good computer at a low but still too-high price
    relative to what you are getting.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 8, 2006
  17. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    OMG! My CPU usage is up to 58% while I am typing this and recording
    video from my USB TV tuner. Geez! Maybe I need more CPU power, not! lol
    Yes people are fooled by all of the marketing hype and they (most
    people) only believe they do. <grin>

    No I didn't miss the point at all. I don't believe most home users need
    MCE (let's call it MS Bob 2005) or the Pro version. Nor do they need
    Vista either. Although many will buy into the marketing hype and will
    want it anyway.

    But thank goodness for the ones that do. As this makes all of the
    technology they don't want as dirt cheap. Here is where guys like me
    come in and buy it for next to nothing. <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  18. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Thank you! I love it when people spend their money on expensive
    computers. As it drops the cheapies that much lower. <grin>

    BillW50, Dec 8, 2006
  19. K. Landsworth

    Tom Lake Guest

    If the person is happy with it then it *is* a good deal to that person
    (even if ONLY to that person) no matter what else is available.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Dec 8, 2006
  20. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    I didn't say it would be expensive. If the $750 off comes out it will
    be a good value with respect to the hardware -- basically, the coupon
    let's me add things like extended warranty. If you were to add that
    to your minimilistic system, the price wouldn't be that much more.
    Also, at resale time you will be able to get more for it -- maybe a
    few hudred vs. your desktop paperweight.

    journey, Dec 8, 2006