    hurricane, etc. could all do the same type of "total residence" damage
    (not to mention the really oddball disasters like a plane crashing into
    your house).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 9, 2006

  2. what is a better low end deal available on the market right now?
    not what you think it should be, not what it may have previously been, but
    now?

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2006

  3. what your treo 650 with cingular? did it lock up regularly? did cingular
    give you the 680 as a free replacement?

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2006
  4. you bet. there are lots of people that would love to have an old computer
    that it working perfectly well. not everyone is wealthy in this country and
    there is a serious growing issue called the technology divide making matters
    worse for the already economically disadvantaged. google 'technology
    divide' and do a little reading. affluent people such as yourself should
    not be ignorant of this issue.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2006
  5. K. Landsworth

    MZB Guest

    tomorrow

    MZB, Dec 9, 2006
  6. K. Landsworth

    Jay B Guest

    there is no good deal right now. that's been the subject of posts here
    for a few weeks.

    that deal happens to be the lowest priced laptop offer right now, but it
    is still not a "deal". in fact its been at that price point for weeks now.

    that is why dell puts stuff on and off sale so much, to fool the public
    into thinking they are getting a good price. the smart dell customer
    will know this and just wait till they get a deal with the components
    they want at a price that's close to what they want to pay. its the
    same in all other industries. smart shoppers will know, and unknowing
    shoppers will... uh not know.

    the average joe will open the catalog or go online and see the word
    "sale" and see some money off some inflated list price, and buy it and
    be happy with it. some others will come here and ask our opinion and
    we can debate it for hours. lol

    it's still not a "deal" right now.
    i'd go on the outlet site and buy a refurb and get a better deal than
    that if i really needed something right now.

    Jay B, Dec 9, 2006
  7. K. Landsworth

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, DUH! What do you expect for $500 ??? A servicable notebook with wifi,
    enough memory and hard drive capacity to last a while. For you, Barry, a
    highly discriminating buyer, it may be no deal at all. But if someone wants a
    basic notebook to get the job done, there are worse deals out there... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 9, 2006
  8. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Hi, my service is with a company called Einstein, in Wisconsin and
    neighboring states. I live in Madison, WI and there is good coverage
    where I live and where I go. For $50 / month I get unlimited minutes,
    long-distance. For an extra $10 / month I get web access and e-mail.
    While most people are trying to find wireless hotspots, I can connect
    to the Internet from anywhere.

    Do I ever use it? Yes -- to check weather forecasts, stock prices,
    411, movie times, and once in a while e-mail. I need to find some
    "designed for PDA" portals.

    I used to be with Cingular and ended my service early to switch to
    Einstein unlimited, because I could save money by going that way and
    dropping my land line. I don't even miss my land line except for the
    rare occasion I need to send a fax (I would like to fiind and Internet
    fax service that doesn't have a monthly subscription fee).

    When the Treo 650's came out I got one through Cingular. It would
    turn on randomly, and do all sorts of other funky things. So, being
    the very assertive person I am I was able to get them to take it back
    and then I went with a Nokia which was excellent as a cell phone.

    After the memory management and other problems had been resolved I
    went back to the 650, and then did the most recent firmware update,
    and it was very stable.

    The funny (and sad) thing is that I lost my Treo 650 sometime during
    the drive to UPS and other stores when I picked up my 680. It's too
    bad because I was going to use the 650 as a device to test out a lot
    of different Palm apps. before moving them to the 680 so I wouldn't
    have to junk up the 680 with orphan files, etc.

    I like the 680 a lot. It has voice recording back -- I am really
    angry at Palm for releasing new devices without features from prior
    models. The 680 doesn't have the notepad app, but I know how to add
    it. It doesn't sync with the 680 desktop though.

    Palm *finally* got rights to their OS back. Oh my go*, I can't
    believe how they have mismanaged things. It reminds me of Apple in
    the 90's, with continually missed deadlines for upgrading the OS.

    I would love to see Apple buy Palm now. They could release the
    iPalmPod, and it would be a killer device. The resurrected Jobs (kind
    of like Gandalf the White -- more skillful now lol) could really do a
    good job, after all they changed the underlying system to Unix (or
    Linux) and switched to Intel months earlier than planned.

    Palm hasn't released new versions of the Life Drive or Palm TX. A
    good PDA would be the Palm TX with voice recording and the notepad, or
    a faster and slimmer Life Drive with more capacity (10g maybe).

    The best Palm, IMO, other than the Treo 680, was the Zire 72, with the
    only disadvantage being the smaller screen.

    Yes -- I do believe that if you gave me a few days, I could write a
    book! Would it be coherant? ... lol

    journey, Dec 9, 2006
  9. K. Landsworth

    Jay B Guest

    yes but if they wait a bit, a better deal can be had.

    i remember reading recently a review of this model by one of our
    posters, and i just found it. from dec 5, ron hardin wrote:
    "The B130 audio really sucks, for what that's worth. A big step
    backwards from the 1200 and 2200.

    I installed Cygwin and put the thing on the bookshelf as a backup
    of the 1200.

    <snip>
    Part of the $499 deal recently at Dell."

    i sense that Ron is unhappy with this purchase. keeping it on the
    bookshelf... that's what it is good for, a bookend!
    he had to install linux Cygwin to make it more useful? doesnt sound
    like a good deal to me.
    Sorry Ron.

    Jay B, Dec 9, 2006
  10. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    In my volunteer work, I set up and maintain a computer room at the
    local YWCA (and help with resume's and other documents).

    They love to get "old stuff", because the definition of "old" keeps
    changing to better and better.

    Also, there is a non-profit agency that I help out with occasionally.
    They put together computers for people with disabiities such as
    blindness or paralyzed people. "Old computers" can run JAWS which is
    what blind people use (it's amazing), and "old computers" can use a
    "laser" on top of the monitor that points to a dot on a person's
    glasses that enables the person to move the pointer around on the
    screen (i.e. simulating a mouse). The poiner is used to hover over
    letters -- if over a letter for a specific time (i.e. 1.5 seconds)
    then that letter is typed, and along the right side of the screen word
    prediction shows up and sorts by word frequency.

    It was really helpful for someone with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).
    Even though all the person could move was his head, he could still
    communicate. ALS takes away all ability to move muscles, but the
    feeling is still there and the person's mental capacities stay intact.
    So, a person is trapped in his/her body and until this technology had
    no way to communicate.

    I think we need a new and improved Kevorkian, one who champions the
    cause without blatantly breaking the law. I'm surprised Kevorkian
    isn't writing a book from prison. There is the book "Final Exit" by
    Derek Humphrey, but it requires barbituates which are almost
    impossible to come by. Sorry... kinda got diverted there!

    So yes, "old computers" are very useful to many people and many
    non-profit agencies. If anyone has an old laptop they'd like to
    donate, I can find a good home for it:

    E-mail: jrny_of_life AT charter.net

    journey, Dec 9, 2006
  11. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Definitely. Cameras for example -- some stores has the Canon S2 IS
    12x zoom camera for the same price as the newer Canon S3 IS -- for
    months people were paying the same money for an older model.

    Same with the Canon Elphs (if they still call them that). People will
    buy the higher end models (SD 600, SD 630) without image
    stabilization for the same price they could get the two newer ones (SD
    700IS, SD 800IS) with image stabilization.

    They just walk into Comp USA or Best Buy, ask the salesperson about
    the cameras (and actually listen to them when they are by no means
    experts) and buy, without even checking the company web sites, or CNET
    or Amazon for the models that are out, and customer reviews.

    journey, Dec 9, 2006
  12. since there is no better deal that you know of then this is indeed the best
    low end laptop deal right now. this simple point seems to be flying over
    peoples heads.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2006
  13. K. Landsworth

    Jay B Guest

    yes it is indeed the best low end laptop offering right now. i wouldnt
    call it a deal.

    the point of the posting was
    "Dell finally has a KILLER deal"
    and still I (we, if you include Barry) say NO -- its not the killer
    deal of the year.
    it's the same regular deal that's been running on and off for a few
    months now.

    in fact, you yourself said so earlier in this same thread.
    "if you are on a tight budget it is a good deal. but i think the $650
    deal that stew posted earlier is better."

    i do read every post... so what are we arguing about exactly?

    Jay B, Dec 9, 2006
  14. K. Landsworth

    User N Guest

    Non-volatile storage is simply storage which retains its data in the absence
    of [operating] power. Hard drives are a form of non-volatile storage, as
    are optical discs, magnetic tapes, flash memory, etc. Battery backed-up
    RAM would be another example, at least in cases where the data persists
    for long periods of time.

    Hopefully most recognize the value of maintaining off-site backups and
    can figure out which backup media makes the most sense for a given
    situation.

    User N, Dec 9, 2006
  15. K. Landsworth

    Jay B Guest

    "Non-volatile" in the computer dictionary does mean ablility to hold
    memory without power,
    but in the english dictionary,
    it also means "cannot be changed by an external process" and that is how
    it was used. i think.

    99.9% of all backups are stored on media that would retain the
    information in the absence of power, (it would be silly not to), but one
    should often write that same information out to a media that cannot be
    destroyed by external processes (such as virus, or user error). of
    course the exception here is fire and disasters, which would destroy all
    kinds of backups except off-site backups.

    i'm glad we cleared this up.

    Jay B, Dec 9, 2006
  16. K. Landsworth

    Ben Myers Guest

    It is axoimatic in the computer industry that if you think you're getting a good
    deal and you buy, then tomorrow, or the next week, or the next month, a better
    deal comes along. It is a deal for the buyer if he/she thinks it is a good
    deal and NEEDS whatever is on sale. It it not a good deal to buy something
    cheap if you don't need it or can't use it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 9, 2006
  17. There are no great deals at the moment (hard to believe for being right
    smack dab in the middle of the Christmas buying season). As of today,
    the lowest price new laptop that I know of is the $499 Dell B130. But
    the best value is the Toshiba A105 deal at CompUSA (or Staples if any
    local Staples stores still have the deal that sold out from the mail
    order warehouse earlier this week). But neither of these would cause me
    to "buy" rather than wait unless I had an urgent need for a laptop
    IMMEDIATELY.

    The Dell B130 offering is, while "cheap", in my opinion, a poor value.
    And the CompUSA/Staples Toshiba, while a better "value" (at $699) is
    still nothing spectacular compared to past better deals that have been
    available since about July. The $599 Toshiba M115 (with a Core Duo
    processor) would be a better value, but I'm not aware of any of those
    still being available at this particular moment either. The local Best
    Buy here had a $499 Toshiba M115, but it was a very low end
    configuration with a Celeron, not much different from the Dell B130, and
    not a good value either compared to what's been available in the past 60
    days. Nationally, Best Buy is advertising a Celeron M115 with no DVD
    burner for $629, which is really crappy considering that in the past 60
    days every major national chain has offered a Core Duo M115 with a DVD
    burner for $599. But all of those deals are now expired.

    It's pretty incredible how bad the best deals available right now really
    are considering that it's December 9th and we are right in the middle of
    the Christmas shopping season. In fact, I can't remember such a dearth
    of good buys on laptops two weeks before Christmas.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 9, 2006
  18. K. Landsworth

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I like it, but don't have time to work on it at the moment.

    In its present state, it's a backup of my 1200, which serves chiefly as a
    camera accessory, in case that dies. Every month or so I'll CD over all the
    new files.

    Cygwin is what makes XP liveable, at least if you're a programmer.

    Someday all these laptops will be beavering away at some mathematical question
    or other, when I get the time.

    Ron Hardin, Dec 9, 2006
  19. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    I don't use the newer Palms, I really like the first color Palm they
    came out with which is the Palm IIIc. And this is a direct connect
    keyboard. You just set it on the keyboard and go.
    Really? Mine feels better than my Gateway keyboard by far. I don't like
    laptop keyboards for at least the past 10 years or more. As I liked them
    with the keyboard closer to me. They are too far away nowadays. My Palm
    keyboard is even better than this Dell keyboard I have connected up to
    my laptop. Here is what mine looks like, but with the color Palm.

    http://www.thinkoutside.com/images/mediakit/Palm_III.jpg
    Well you might learn there are better keyboards out there. Which I think
    would be a big plus. But what would I know? ;)

    BillW50, Dec 9, 2006
  20. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Wow! That is terrible! :(
    No if I don't have to have insurance by law, I don't carry it. I believe
    the last time I added it up, I have paid over $50,000 in my life for car
    insurance. And I never used a dime of it. I also paid who knows how much
    for medical insurance and I never used that for anything either. Oh I
    probably collected about $3000 in my lifetime from medical, but as far
    as I am concern, that too was a waste of money too.
    Wow you use a lot of third party software. I use very little ever since
    I paid a thousand bucks on GEOS software and then they left me high and
    dry back in the late 80's. As far as the Palm goes, I use AvantGo and
    WordSmith and that is about all. I use the stock Memo Pad for passwords
    and registration codes.

    BillW50, Dec 9, 2006