  1. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Wow that is so cool! :)

    BillW50, Dec 9, 2006

  2. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi Barry! Well maybe this well help. I gave up on buying high priced
    computers many years ago. Technology just moves to fast to spend a lot
    of money on them in my opinion. Thus buy cheap and buy often works very
    well for me. And I think it would work well for most people as well.

    Back in August I needed another computer. As something happened to my
    desktop that it stopped connecting to the home network. I have a spare
    the same model. And after switching cards, that one stopped working as
    well. Sometimes is bad in the hardware I am sure. Anyway so I bought
    this one:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Sku=G153-MX6124

    It was $499 after a $100 rebate. What I liked about it was 4 USB ports.
    I rather have like 8 of them, but most laptops don't even come with 4 of
    them. It also came with (although it doesn't mention this) an external
    S-Video port. It also comes with a dual layer DVD burner and 512MB of
    RAM.

    But as for the rest of the goodies, it didn't matter to me. Not even the
    media card reader since I use xD memory cards and no computer I ever
    seen comes with those card readers. The 60GB HD was nice though.

    I do wish that the mic and headphone jacks were on the side instead of
    the front. Plus I wished for an aux audio jack. But I later learned that
    the mic jack functions just fine as an aux jack if you turn off the mic
    boost. Thus I can still use my USB TV tuner card. <grin>

    After I received this laptop, I was surprised how cool it runs. Plus it
    runs so quiet. The room as to be dead quiet before I can even hear the
    fan running. I am sure if I got one of those higher powered CPUs, this
    laptop would run hot. Sometimes I am not interested in, to me honest
    with you. And there is plenty of CPU power for me. I can run my webcam,
    VoIP phone, USB TV tuner, external 320GB HD, external LCD 19 inch
    monitor, external keyboard and mouse through a port replicator, etc.

    So your idea of a deal isn't impressive to me. I don't know all of that.
    When I buy my next one it will probably come with all of your deal and
    plus some. And for even a better price than this. So does all of this
    help any Barry?

    BillW50, Dec 9, 2006
  4. K. Landsworth

    Quaoar Guest

    Did you ever find a satisfactory answer to your questions about
    Vista/Aero and Intel video?

    Quaoar, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Not entirely, especially with respect to Dell offerings.

    It appears most likely that Intel GMA950 will run Aero, and GMA900 will not.

    It's not clear if the ATI mobile X1300 offering that Dell has in many
    laptops will or will not. The X1400 will.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 10, 2006
  6. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Thank you. I'm blessed with not having to work, so I have some time
    for these things. I also helped Polish immigrants coming to the U.S.
    that had advanced degrees (Engineering and MD) but didn't know how to
    use computers.

    Really though, any one of us can help -- find a good cause who could
    use your PCs. A good place to call first is United Way.

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  7. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    You can expand this as I am sure you know -- by a port replicator
    (www.buy.com) often has a D-Link one for $10 after rebate. For a
    laptop, you can buy a PCMCIA extender.

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  8. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  9. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    I am not saying that I disbelieve you. I would like to see the
    calculations, however. What if you cause a huge amount of damage to
    someone else. Insurance helps pay for that too, so it's not only for
    you.
    Do you pay for medical insurance now? If not, how do you get
    reimbursed for your doctor appointments. Are you eligible for medical
    insurance? Do you realize that a hospital stay could totally wipe you
    out?

    Too bad you can't give your health insurance to one of the 46
    A little side blurb -- I state this a little strongly but I believe
    that any nation that doesn't provide health insurance for its citizens
    is not "civilized". Also, WHO IN THE HELL DECIDED TO TIE HEALTH
    INSURANCE TO EMPLOYMENT. It's often the case that someone can't work
    because of their medical issues.
    More power to you Bill. As stated above I'd love to see your
    financial analysis that arrives at the numbers you posted.
    What is GEOS software. Just curious, sounds interesting.
    I definitely recommend Splash ID for storing your passwords. What
    model of Palm do you have?

    I have lost two Palms -- a few days ago I lost my Treo 650 on my way
    to pick up my Treo 680. Good and bad. In the past I lost a Tungsten
    C. I felt reassured that all my private information was secure and
    that the "new owners" of the Palms could not get at that.

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  10. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    You use Landware's GoType keyboard. I admit, it's a nice one that I
    wish they still made available. Still I couldn't touch-type because
    the keys are too small but it was nice to flip it up and plug it in.
    Well of course, you're using a Gateway p.o.s.
    Oh, you're using the Think Outside keyboard. Again -- nothing
    compares to open up a notebook resuming from standby to type something
    in. If you're going to be in a meeting someplace, have time to set it
    up, that's fine, although many people when I used to do that gave me
    strange looks.

    ALSO, very importantly -- be the only person at a meeting with a
    laptop or clunky setup like your, and you might be the one who has to
    type of the meeting minutes.

    (I know but optimistic Bill will say:

    That's great! I learn from taking minutes! Better be the minute
    taker than the one who falls aslpeep!)
    Of the keyboard you mentioned, it's a no-go. You are living in the
    stone age. Your keyboard requires a flat surface too, your laptop
    would not work for that.

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  11. K. Landsworth

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, you'd be in luck in Florida. Florida doesn't require ANY liability
    insurance. The driver that killed my wife got to walk away while I paid all
    the medical bills, funeral bills and every thing else. Nothing from her.

    Tom Scales, Dec 11, 2006
  12. That's sad and despicable, but most such states require that policies
    for those that do have insurance have "uninsured motorist" coverage to
    cover losses to their cars by people who did not have insurance.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 11, 2006
  13. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Tom, I am very sorry to hear about your wife. My mother is in hospice
    and will probably pass away this week. Each death is different, no
    comparisons. I do think it would be harder if it were a driver rather
    than a disease and if it's a wife/mother.

    You have been in my thoughts. I know everyone says that, but since
    you posted about that on the group, I have been thinking of it quite a
    bit and I send condolences and continuing strength and courage your
    way as you and your children deal with this loss.

    journey, Dec 11, 2006
  14. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Well that wasn't what I was referring too actually. If I killed someone,
    I'd owe their family for the rest of my life, that is the way I think. I
    know most people don't think that way and could careless. And I am very
    sorry that our system allows people like that to get away. That isn't
    right at all. And of course, I am very sorry about your wife, that is
    awful! IMHO, the law protects the guilty and screws the victums.

    What I was referring about though is that I pay for others and I get
    nothing back in return. This isn't right either.

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  15. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Well I depend on my Palm IIIc to store data in RAM that is ran from
    Li-Ion battery. I do back it up at least weekly. And once while it was
    backed up, the battery finally died after being 5 years old. So that
    isn't too bad.

    And remember the CMOS settings are kept alive with battery in our
    computers. So battery powered media is around and a live and well.
    Although mostly useful for smaller RAM.

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  16. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes I know. I got some really cheap car insurance once when I was a
    teenager and driving down south were people don't know how to drive on
    ice. And I went over this little hill over a bridge and I didn't see
    this lady stopped in the middle of the road. I had like 1/4 of the
    second to do something before impact on ice. I couldn't do anything in
    that short period of time.

    We exchanged information and I thought that was the end of it. Nope,
    that insurance company was a fly by night company. So I paid for
    everything. Plus paid for insurance that wasn't any good either.
    Not anymore! I do have the VA if I ever need it. But they would have to
    grab me kicking and screaming to get me to go. ;)
    I used to go to the doctor years ago. They want to fill you up with
    expensive pills and do many expensive tests. Whenever I went along with
    them, they only made things worse for me. You don't know how many times
    they claimed I would die if I wouldn't allow them to do what they wanted
    too. Well I am still here, not crippled or anything and sitting at 50
    years old. And I have all of my parts I was born with. And as far as I
    am concern, they ain't getting any of them. Including my morals they
    wanted because they claimed it would cause me problems later on in life.
    Blah! I am still waiting!
    On the other hand, there would be millions of people still alive if they
    refused any medical help. The AMA claimed that medical intervention was
    the number 3 killer. I believe they were being kind, as I believe the
    number is much higher.

    This isn't to say that the medical profession also doesn't save lives.
    They do! But how they do, they also cause much harm as well.
    I love to show them, are you in the midwest? You could help me clean out
    my storage locker while you are at it. About 12 years ago I had very bad
    lower stomach pain. My doctor at the time put my through an upper GI,
    lower, and a MRI and found nothing wrong. The doctor told my wife and my
    employer, there was nothing wrong with me. Blah! Went to another doctor
    and he started talking about the same tests I said wait a minute, that
    was done and nothing was found. He stared for a minute in shock and then
    handed me some antibiotics and said come back if the pain does go away
    in a couple of weeks. I had a prostate infection and it cleared right
    up. Why did I have to go through hell when the fix was so simple? And
    only cost a few bucks?
    Well GEOS was a GUI for the Commodore 64 and th Commodore C128.
    Everything cost separate, word processor, spreadsheet, database, etc. No
    free upgrades and one of the worst copy protection system that really
    screwed honest users. This was big in the mid and late 80's.

    In the beginning of the 90's, they dropped the Commodore like a hot
    potato. And came out with the IBM version. This time it was cheap and
    none of this stuff about everything coming separately. And no copy
    protection to screw honest users either. It was far better than Windows
    3.0 and it was killing MS. They quickly fought back and released Windows
    3.1, 3.11, and WFWG. And GEOS just sat on their butts and let MS take
    over. They are still around in part. But went into other more
    specialized GUI programming.
    Palm IIIc and as a back up a Palm IIIxe.
    Oh bummer! Yes if mine where lost or stolen, I have a lot of work to do.
    Luckily this has never happened yet (knock on wood).

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  17. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    I can't believe I said the above. Funny I don't even remember saying it
    either.

    Anyway, I have to take something back. As I forgot about this. As a
    bought a house trailer while I was helping my dad build his house before
    he retired. And we used that on the weekends while we built the house
    over many years (no mortgage this way). And when nobody was around and
    working hundreds of miles away. Someone broken in the trailer, stolen
    some hunting guns and might have started a fire.

    Weird thing happened though. The curtails and the wall was on fire and
    the whole thing stopped. Plastic clocks in other rooms melted from all
    of the heat and everything was black. The fire department later came out
    to try to figure out how it started (about a week later when we found
    out) and they have no idea how the fire stopped. Nor how it started.
    Just something that continues to be unexplained to this very day. I
    still have my data though. :)

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  18. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes I bought a port replicator for 10 bucks. I love them! I bought a
    cheapie and if I did it all over again, I would spend a bit more. I
    bought it because I wanted a USB to serial for syncing my Palms. But
    they cost 15 bucks and port replicators are only 10 bucks. And you get
    serial, PS2, parallel and an USB hub as well.

    I don't know everything about a PCMCIA extender though. This will allow
    me to plug in my type III HDs? If so cool! :)

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  19. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Oh wow! That sounds great! You know both my mom and one of my sisters
    shake a lot and a mouse is hard for them to use. Some of this technology
    sounds like it would help them as well. Where can I learn more about
    this?

    BillW50, Dec 12, 2006
  20. K. Landsworth

    Notan Guest