    factor, and the plastic hinged lid which was so handy. It certainly
    does the PIM functions well enough, and programs like Datebk are still
    available for that OS.

    journey, Dec 13, 2006

  2. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    I am fortunate enough to have a good hospital in my city that provides
    assistive devices. I would call around in your area and you should be
    able to find something.

    One thing worth checking out (you probably already have) is the
    Accessibility options of Windows (Control Panel | Accessibility
    Options | Mouse), and of course experimenting with the mouse settings.
    Setting it to slower and smooth would help a bit.

    Also, knowing the keyboard shortcuts for Windows and various apps
    could help a lot. For example, the Windows key + E brings up Windows
    Explorer, and the Windows key + M minimizes all windows so you can see
    the desktop quickly.

    There may be things like alternative mouse drivers that "smooth out"
    the mouse pointer for shaky hands. Anyway, I recommend a call to an
    assistive devices provider in your area, or Google what you need to
    find a company that provides it.

    journey, Dec 13, 2006

  3. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    <clipped -- disagreement as to the value of having insurance but hey,
    whatever floats your boat>
    Around the age of 50 some fairly important tests are done. Colon
    cancer has a high mortality rate and is a leading cause of death.
    Well, just like the numbers you posted before, I find this hard to
    believe.
    Do you have a link to this information?
    Yes, e-mail me at jrny_of_life at charter.net and we can have a good
    offline discussion.

    I started with the Commodore PET and was disappointed when my Dad
    bought an Apple over a Commodore 80 (at the time Visicalc hadn't come
    out, and the Apple's only displayed 40 colums).

    Anyway, I'd love to talk to you offline.

    journey, Dec 13, 2006
  4. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    journey, Dec 13, 2006
  5. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    journey, Dec 13, 2006
  6. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    It is probably the abuse of insurance is my biggest turn off. And
    medical insurance is really abused. From doctors, hospitals, patients,
    etc.
    That very well could be. But did you know that there was a study about
    20 years ago that studied people with cancer who refused treatment lived
    on average just over 12 years and those that got treatment lived on
    average only 3 years?

    http://www.karlloren.com/Jimmy_Keller/page2.htm

    And don't get me started on the dangers of having a biopsy! Out of all
    of the plain dumb things people believes should be done and you are just
    crazy not to have is a biopsy! And this includes the doctors and most
    everyone else. But it can be one of the dumbest moves in your life and
    maybe your death sentence!

    http://www.karlloren.com/biopsy/index.htm

    The above talks mainly about breast cancer, but it applies to almost all
    of them. And there maybe better websites about this, but I just pulled
    this one out of the heap that talked about what I have known for a long
    time. And no, I am not a doctor. I am just very smart! ;)
    The last one was a surgeon who said I was going to die if I didn't get a
    cyst like growth inside of my scrotum removed. It was huge and 6 inches
    around the area was all red. The surgeon claimed it would spread as
    little as 24 hours and I would be dead shortly later if I refused
    treatment.

    He admitted he didn't know the cause of it. But I knew what it was
    because I had them many times before. And I never died from them before
    and I was sure I wasn't going to die from this one either (although it
    was the worst one I ever had). All I wanted was to have it lanced so the
    pain would stop and it would go away until the next time it acted up.
    That costs $250 believe it or not. Just to stab it! That is all I
    wanted.

    But no, he wanted me in the hospital right away on antibiotics. And have
    surgery done! I said bull! That ain't happening! Either you lance it or
    I suffer in pain a few more days and it will open up on its own. He
    refused to lance it and I was ready to walk away and he pleaded with me,
    just take these super strong antibiotics and promise to check in the
    hospital if it gets worse within 24 hours. I thought what the heck, I
    love antibiotics since I believe that is one wonderful drug (if not
    abused). So I agreed.

    Worst mistake of my life! I've taken antibiotics before and nothing like
    this has ever happened. When he said they were the strongest allowed by
    law, he wasn't kidding! I don't recall if the infection was better or
    worse (I was in tons of pain until it opened on its own). But for at
    least a year, my whole immune system was totally out of whack! I think I
    am almost back to normal (4 years later). But that was a very big
    mistake on my part. I am very positive the antibiotics wasn't needed and
    I have suffered since from the so called cysts and I won't go to the
    doctor about it. I just let nature handle it and I'm still here. I have
    suffered dozens of times from it and it isn't life threatening at all!
    It is just a major inconvenience to me.

    And before some doctor or whatever comes along and claims how dumb I am
    to put up with this. It started out as a pilonidal cyst and when it was
    attempted to remove it, they screwed up and now it is strung all around.
    I know this and nobody can do anything about it. It isn't a bad deal
    really, just a burst of pain and draining. Cutting it out will do not
    good whatsoever! It will just reoccur somewhere else. It does that
    anyway overtime. It is too late for me and if the first attempt wasn't
    screwed up, I believe I would have no problems today.

    And before someone feels pity, don't! As I am blessed with 99% of the
    time being perfectly healthy. And when this crops up, it is really one
    of the most intensive pains around (women who have had it claimed it is
    worse than child birth). I don't take pain killers (I believe in them, I
    just don't ask and they don't offer). I did buy a quart of 151 (alcohol)
    once to kill the pain. But the dang pain was still there, but I didn't
    care. lol

    And don't get me wrong and believe that I'm against *all* medical
    interventions! Oh no that isn't true one bit! They can and do save
    lives, no doubt about it! But they also practice some very dumb things
    that can also spell a death sentence for you as well. And have you ever
    noticed it is generally called a practice anyway? Think about it.
    I thought I could find this really quickly and I am having trouble
    finding it. But I have heard many times 100,000 is lost a year do to
    medical interventions. This has been all over the news, time and time
    again (higher than auto deaths which usually number 40,000 a year in the
    US). And I am totally convinced that these numbers are way too low. But
    don't think I am belittling what I said about the AMA claim. I'll find
    it someday. Hopefully soon. :)
    Okay the rest will have to go in email and if I forget, remind me about
    Commodore and Apple thing. And btw, I agree with you. ;)

    BillW50, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Christopher Muto, Dec 15, 2006
  8. oh, under *accidental deaths" there is a category for "Complications of
    Med/Surg Care" that ranks about 4th in the higher age groups (presumably
    because higher age groups consume more medical care and surgery).

    Christopher Muto, Dec 15, 2006
  9. K. Landsworth

    Tom Lake Guest

    Here's a quote you might enjoy:

    [Medicine is] a collection of uncertain prescriptions the results of which,
    taken collectively, are more fatal than useful to mankind.

    Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Dec 15, 2006
  10. K. Landsworth

    Notan Guest

    Consider the source! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 15, 2006
  11. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    Thanks Christopher! Although this was probably what I was thinking of.

    http://www.chiropracticissafe.org/alternative.html

    And it was the JAMA, not the AMA:

    http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/07/05/medical.errors/

    Here it states that this is the 8th leading cause of death, if they
    counted it:

    http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/medical_mistakes.htm

    And it seems very clear to me, most mistakes goes unreported. Thus the
    number they give us IMHO are way too low. And this doesn't count the
    people who are not told that after they do a biospy, the cancer will
    very likely spread. Thus with or without treatment, many people lives
    will be cut short. :(

    BillW50, Dec 15, 2006
  12. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    LOL, this cracked me up, very funny!

    journey, Dec 16, 2006
  13. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Until the next day :)

    journey, Dec 16, 2006
  14. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    I don't know how to explain this, maybe someone knows. But I usually
    only drink beer and I'll get a buzz and all, but I don't get sick or
    hangovers anymore. I might if I drink something with more alcohol (about
    once a year I'll drink something harder). But drinking a beer every hour
    will just give me a buzz and that is all. I wouldn't drive if I do drink
    beer, but I feel pretty safe if I only had 2 or 3 and wait about 2 hours
    after my last one. I don't know, if beer doesn't effect you like it used
    too, maybe that is a bad sign, eh? <sigh>

    BillW50, Dec 16, 2006
  15. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Since you are Bill W, I thought you might tell us :)

    (a friend of Bill)

    journey, Dec 19, 2006
  16. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    HEY! My initials are Bill (well the first name) and the last name as W.
    That is all I know. I do know that I am both German and Irish. So if
    genes plays a part, if anybody is immune to alcohol it is these people
    (well Russians also seem to be a bit good in this area too). But I also
    believe nobody is immune totally, but I do believe they can handle a
    little better than most others. But if they go too far, they are no
    better than others.

    BillW50, Dec 19, 2006
  17. K. Landsworth

    journey Guest

    Well, I have already had my lifetime supply of alcohol. I reached 6
    years sobrer as of 12-01. I don't miss alcohol at all, and I am glad
    for the spiritual journey my recovery has provided.

    I may christen my next laptop by smashing a non-alcoholic bottle of
    champagne against it, but only if I buy the complete care warranty.

    I'm thinking XPS 1210 w Vista & maxed out, but a pad of paper and
    smooth pens are close competition and a whole lot cheaper.

    journey, Dec 19, 2006
  18. K. Landsworth

    BillW50 Guest

    I am not there yet. ;)

    And would it help if I told you I quit for 10 years and it changed
    nothing except my health was worse back then?

    Although I once I knew what addiction was, but not anymore. As I played
    with it for another 10 years! Getting addicted and quitting over and
    over again. And I am not kidding, going through withdrawals over 500
    times, it no longer has any control over me. Now I can handle any
    withdrawals whatsoever (I never had a pain pill either in my life). Give
    me the worst additive thing in the world and it still has no power over
    me at all. ;)

    And before any scientist or research study thinks this is BS! All I say
    is to try me and I will prove otherwise! I am so sure, I would bet my
    life on it! How many bozos do you know that would say that? lol
    Speaking about chisten, Jesus drank wine. Nowhere did Jesus say to stop
    drinking alcohol at all. He just mentioned to excess! Which I think most
    people would agree with. Some others believe none is better. But I am
    not like them. Nor was Jesus! ;)
    Oh sorry! I thought you were headed somewhere else. Here I agree! ;)

    BillW50, Dec 19, 2006