Dell Frustration

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Irene Gaffigan, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. Ordered a Dell by phone, it was through their business computer area.
    Checked for status and all was well as of yesterday - this morning I checked
    online for status and found out the order was cancelled. I am fit to be
    tied - no phone calls, no e-mails, nothing - no reason given either. It
    seems to me, if there was a problem with the order, they should have
    e-mailed or called me. This was not even done with a charge or finance - I
    used my bankcard and the money was available.

    Of course, I cannot get a live person on a Sat. Anyone else ever have this
    problem? Why would they just cancel an order.

    Thanks
    Irene

    --
    All outgoing messages scanned with Norton Antivirus 2004

    Irene Corb Gaffigan, CRS
    Principal Broker
    Farm Town Realty, LLC
    e-PRO Certified Internet Professional
    Allen F Hainge CyberStar (TM)
    231 Depot Street
    Proctorsville, VT 05153
    Toll Free: (800) 659-1819
    Cell: (802) 353-1983
    Office : (802) 226-8022
    Fax: (802) 706-1000
    E-Mail: mailto:
    <mailto:>
    Website: http://isellvermontrealestate.com
    <http://isellvermontrealestate.com/>

    Irene Gaffigan, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Irene Gaffigan

    joe_tide Guest

    I had that happen once.

    I asked them to ship it to my office and forgot to call the bank and let
    them know I placed an order and had it shipped to an address other than what
    the bank had on file. Dell did it for my own protection and I was glad they
    did. I just called the bank and the order shipped.

    Regardless, they should have called and let you know.

    joe_tide, Nov 6, 2004

  3. I had a similar problem with an airline ticket about 12 years ago.
    TWA gave the credit card company an incorrect address.
    I had given TWO the correct address, believe it or not, TWA changed my
    address.

    I taught TWA a lesson by going to a local travel agent and paying for the
    ticket with the SAME credit card.
    Cost TWA the commission to the travel agent.

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Irene Gaffigan

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'll bet that's why they went bankrupt!

    Tom Scales, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Irene Gaffigan

    BigJIm Guest

    bad credit

    BigJIm, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Of course!

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 6, 2004
  7. Irene Gaffigan

    SD Guest

    Just don't buy Dell. That was an "omen" to steer clear of Dell products.
    You'd be wise to spend the money on a different computer. The frustrations
    you will eventually have with owning a Dell is not worth it. Yeah, you
    save money by getting a computer at a cheaper cost, however, that is also
    the quality of the product you are getting too.

    :
    : Of course, I cannot get a live person on a Sat. Anyone else ever have
    this
    : problem? Why would they just cancel an order.
    :
    : Thanks
    : Irene
    :
    : --

    SD, Nov 7, 2004
  8. this usually happens when there is a discrepancy between the shipping
    address and the address on file with the bank card. i believe that the
    motivation for dell to cancel the order without contact is because they
    determined possible fraud of credit card use (as suggest by different
    address as described above) and so leave it up to you to contact them. what
    is most frustrating about it is if you missed a sale of some sort, but i
    have found that if you call them to discuss it they will honor the original
    sale price and rebates if any... but check current pricing and simply
    re-order if the price is better... but this time put the alternate shipping
    address on file with your credit card company.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 8, 2004
  9. The ending of the saga with Dell is not pleasant. I called them this
    morning and no one could help me - I am sure I spoke to 3 different
    countries (that is another story). Everyone said I would have to speak to
    my sales rep. - I had e-mailed him over the weekend and did not get a reply.
    I called him this morning and did not get a reply - I was also told by one
    of the many people I spoke to that he should have advised me about the
    cancellation and the reason.

    I think it is an outrage that no one informed me about this and had I not
    gone online, I would be waiting for a computer that was never coming. I
    called Gateway and ordered a better computer for about $50.00 more - I did
    find out that by using a bank card there is a limit on purchases (I never
    even thought about it) and that caused the sale to be denied by my bank.
    The sales person for Gateway advised me of that - all it took was a 2 minute
    phone call to my bank and no problems.

    Now I will not have the computer until next week instead of this week and it
    will hold up one of my agents. I did send a final e-mail to the salesperson
    at Dell to confirm that the ordered was cancelled and that I have ordered a
    Gateway - I also informed him that at the very least he should have informed
    me of the problem. I fully intend to send a letter to Dell Corporate about
    the situation, I am sure it will not do much good, but it will make me feel
    better. I do have 3 Dell's and this would have been my 4th, but they have
    lost a customer wheather they care or not.

    Irene

    Irene Gaffigan, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Credit cards balk when any unusual purchases are made. They are trying to
    protect you, here's some examples:

    1. Used to travel a lot in the USA and Europe. One time I went to Japan.
    About 3 weeks AFTER the trip, the bank called to verify that I was the one
    using my credit card in Japan. Well, at least they did not put a hold on my
    credit while I was in Japan.

    2. When DEC laid me off, I had to buy a PC and associated software/hardware.
    Back in 1982, prices were a lot higher, so this was for about $11 500.
    Computerland called the credit card while I was in their office. Credit card
    refused to approve unless I spoke to them, so I got on the phone. Then
    transaction was approved.

    3. I live in Nashua, NH (USA) which is just across the border from
    Tyngsboro, MA. I regularly go shipping in Nashua and Tyngsboro on the same
    day. One day, I got a call from the bank stating that somebody had used my
    credit card in NH and MA on the same day! Gee, I guess if I had driven the
    40 miles to Boston, they really would have panicked. Imagine, using a credit
    card 40 miles apart on the same day!! Earlier this year, I got a similar
    call, but this time they did not identify the reason for the call. I shop in
    NH and MA just about every week. Supermarket in NH, but Trader Joe's is in
    NH. You'd think they would learn.

    Heck, I'm scheduled to go to Tokyo in Feb, betchya I get a phone call!

    Howard Kaikow, Nov 8, 2004
  11. Irene Gaffigan

    Tom Scales Guest

    Let me understand this. You used your card for a transaction for which it
    did not allow -- over your bankcard limit. A limit that would have been in
    the card agreement to which you agreed.

    Your bank refused the transaction.

    Dell therefore cancelled the order, for non-payment.

    And it is Dell's fault.

    Would it have been courteous to call you? Perhaps. Is it there fault that
    your card was refused. Nope.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 9, 2004