    CDs floating around out there, showing up on eBay, etc.

    Their big-OEM license says the OEM must use a hidden partition
    technique and only supply disks when a user specifically requests.

    PeterD, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Please cite the source for: "Their big-OEM license says the OEM must use a
    hidden partition..."

    I think the main motivator is the few pennies the OEMs save on the CDs.
    Additionally Microsoft gives the OEMs options as to how the restore is made
    possible.
    Do not assume because most do it that Microsoft mandates it.

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 3, 2006

  3. BigJIm

    Irene Guest

    Again, we agree. >g<

    Irene, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Irene;
    It does happen sometimes.
    I have to wonder when something is stated as fact with no apparent source
    given.

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 4, 2006
  5. BigJIm

    PC Medic Guest

    No, just shows they are willing to provide one to the few that feel they
    really need it and do not want to take the time to burn out their own from
    the files that are readily available on the hard drive of their shiny new
    system.
    Ummm they are a business

    PC Medic, Feb 4, 2006
  6. BigJIm

    PeterD Guest

    I *am* and OEM. We know the contract very well. No, I can't post it.

    PeterD, Feb 4, 2006
  7. BigJIm

    Tom Scales Guest

    In the US, the ability to burn the CD no longer exists, as the CD is
    available for $10 at the time of purchase

    Tom Scales, Feb 4, 2006
  8. BigJIm

    Tom Scales Guest

    Your OEM contracts and Dell's won't even be close in language. Unless you
    sell in the same volume they do.

    Tom Scales, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Peter;
    "I *am* and OEM." Exactly what does that mean?
    We are referring to "big-OEM".
    Are you a "big-OEM"? Which one? Dell? Compaq? etc...
    Why can you post details without the exact quote?
    Without a source, what you say is no more than gossip.

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 4, 2006
  10. BigJIm

    PeterD Guest

    True, but we do know what the different levels can and cannot do.

    PeterD, Feb 5, 2006
  11. BigJIm

    PeterD Guest

    Let's leave it as gossip, or just my imagination then. I offered 'a
    reason' why things are the way they are. If people choose to not
    believe it, no problem.

    So, I'll retract the original statement. MSFT couldn't care less. Dell
    is terrible for not always including the CD media. If that makes
    anyone happy, great.

    I'm not bashing either you, Jupiter, or Tom, but people asked and I
    gave an answer.

    PeterD, Feb 5, 2006
  12. BigJIm

    Tom Scales Guest

    Betcha never have seen the level Dell's on. Theirs would be quite
    confidential

    Tom Scales, Feb 5, 2006
  13. An answer without a source is gossip.

    Since you clearly not a large OEM as you first suggested, it is likely other
    information you gave is also unreliable.
    The smaller OEMs will have access to links on Microsoft's website.
    Post the link.
    Of course if your information is false, no link will be forthcoming.
    Do not make another mistake and assume someone does not have the access you
    claim.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    , what you say is no more than gossip.

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 6, 2006
  14. BigJIm

    PeterD Guest

    I never said, or implied, I was a 'large-oem'. Never. I've already
    withdrawn my comments, and said you were right, so now what do you
    want?

    Plonk.

    PeterD, Feb 6, 2006
  15. BigJIm

    PC Medic Guest

    They mey not provide the utility ('Click here to create System CD'), but the
    ability to do so still exists.

    PC Medic, Feb 7, 2006
  16. your first born male child lol

    Dan Sgambelluri, Feb 7, 2006
  17. I can't see the CD option for the Dimension b110
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110B&s=dhs

    Is it in that page or is it further into the purchase pages?
    I am beginning to think I am right about it not being there, but I don't
    like to claim something I don't see / can't verify ;)
    Even I should be able to see it after 10 times to the page, but I may be
    repeating the same behavior.
    I am trying to look at it differently!
    Is it an easter egg?
    Do I need a cheat code?