Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BigJIm, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Nah, too Jewish.

    H Lamar

    Sparky Spartacus, Feb 8, 2006

  2. BigJIm

    Notan Guest

    "Jewish" or "Bluish?"

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 8, 2006

  3. My OEM is bigger than your OEM
    Nyeh-nyeh

    -Phil Clemence, Feb 9, 2006
  4. I don't know what you mean by his dispute will fail. I have always
    been able to get the install CD's by calling Dell. I let them know
    right off the bat that I am very dissatisfied and they have always
    sent it.

    It is mind boggling why they don't include the CD's.

    Kevin

    Kevin K. Fosler, Feb 12, 2006
  5. BigJIm

    Notan Guest

    Simple...

    In the big scheme of things, far fewer people request the CDs than those that don't.

    I'd imagine that Dell saves *big* bucks!

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 12, 2006
  6. BigJIm

    Tom Scales Guest

    My point was if the dispute is through the credit card company, they will
    reject it after review, because Dell did not do anything wrong. The CDs
    were available at the time of purchase for $10. They were not chosen.

    Tom Scales, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Ah, OK, makes sense now. I either read out of context or didn't grasp
    what the person meant by "dispute". I thought it meant "dispute with
    Dell" who wouldn't give him CDs.

    I am very happy with Dell's new policy. In the past I would have to
    call Dell and have the CDs sent out. Now it's a lot simpler -- just
    pay $10 which seems fair.

    Kevin

    Kevin K. Fosler, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Hi, I read the thread out of context. For the people who aren't
    knowledgeable about computers, it's a shame that Dell doesn't include
    the CDs. Somewhere down the road they may need them. For me I like
    the solution now, but for others who don't know much about computers
    and the value of having that disk, it's not good.

    Kevin

    Kevin K. Fosler, Feb 12, 2006
  9. BigJIm

    Hank Arnold Guest

    1) $$$

    2) MS probably pressured them since these CD's are probably a big source for
    illegal installs.

    3)Tech support. Imagine the average user faced with rebuilding their PC and
    holding a stack of CDs in their hands. Having a restore partition allows
    Tech Support to easily say "To restore your PC to factory condition, you
    need to...". and cuts costs...

    Hank Arnold, Feb 12, 2006
  10. BigJIm

    Steve Urbach Guest

    Dell XP CD are tied to a Dell BIOS on the Motherboard.
    Other Big OEM's do the same. The install ony runs if it finds "The OEM
    Brand" of hardware.

    Steve Urbach, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Not so, at least not with the Dell OS CD's. If you're installing it on a
    Dell you can skip activation; otherwise, you'll have to enter the COA
    for the non Dell box and go thru normal activation (which has never been
    a problem in my experience).

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 1, 2006
  12. BigJIm

    Axalon Guest

    There seems to be a LOT of partial, inaccurate, or misguided info in
    this thread.
    I think I can clear up pretty much all of it.
    Last year Dell began including a recovery partition on their systems.
    At that point, the CDs for the system beacame an option that the
    customer could select at time of purchase. If the customer didn't
    select the option for their recovery CDs, then they weren't sent.
    Why, do you ask? There are several reasons that influenced this
    decision. It is amazing how many people actually lose/misplace/throw
    out/lend their CDs. (Also funny how these situations also seem to be
    Dells fault, according to many customers).
    Another consideration is that many of the peopel that call in to tech
    support are not as skilled as many of the people that are
    contributing to this site. They get frustrated. It is easy to bring
    up a boot menu or rearrange the boot order if you know how, but VERY
    difficult if you don't. The recovery partition is a very effective
    way to simplify the reload process.
    It is also worthy to note that generally speaking, the people who have
    difficulty booting to the OS cd also expect that a reload should be
    done in about the same amount of time that it takes to install their
    greeting card/favourite game/isp/etc software. They get upset when
    the reload process takes several hours. Also, they often have a great
    deal of difficulty not trying to mess with things during the reload,
    which can lead to having to redo it. The reimage from the recovery
    partition takes roughly 10-15 minutes at most.
    Don't have your recovery CDs? No problem. Call up and request them.
    They will be shipped out with no questions asked if you are still
    within your warranty period. There is no need to get angry, or to
    demand a supervisor in order to get your CDs.
    You can download all of your Drivers from the Dell website quite
    easily. You can also burn a copy of the Dell folder from your HDD,
    which has all of your drivers in it.
    I hope this clears up most of your questions or concerns.

    Axalon, Dec 13, 2006
  13. BigJIm

    Phred Guest

    While it's always nice to meet an optimist, I really don't think
    you've made sufficient allowance for the level of paranoia in some
    folk over there. ;-)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Dec 13, 2006